LLD101 Forum Index LLD101
Low Level Dueling in 1.12

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue May 28, 2024 7:28 pm
All times are UTC - 8
 Forum index » Diablo 2 Discussion Section » LLD Discussion
Need level 30ish Ladder caster suggestions
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]  
Dao Jones

BNet Acct/Realm: *Dao_Jones, Bi-Realmsual.
33.66 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:31 am    Post subject:  Need level 30ish Ladder caster suggestions  

Here's my deal: I have reasonable gear for a level 28-30 caster, but since I don't traditionally make casters, I'm not sure what type works well at that level. But since I have practically *no* melee equipment for that level (except a 15 string and a few other trinkets), I want to try my hand with a caster. Here's the stuff I have on hand:

Helm: Peasant crown
Armor: 35 res Vipermagi
Gloves: Frosties and Magefists
Belt: the String and Nightsmoke (upped and non)
Rings: great FCR rings (and no SoJs, because I ain't rich)
Weapon/Shield: I have the runes for Spirits, or could shop a decent sorc staff or necro wand. I also have a Rhyme'd +3 Bone Spear necro head.

So, given that gear, and the fact that I'd like to shop/trade as little extra as possible, what might be good choices? Here were my thoughts, based solely on speculation:

1. Fireball sorc (I could make a "Leaf" from a +3 FB staff)
2. Lightning sorc (good damage, but isn't everyone maxed versus light to deal with FoHers?)
3. FoHer (same problem as above)
4. Bone necro (not a bad choice, except I suck at aiming Spears against fast moving people, and I already had a Patriarch boner, so I'd like to try something new)

What I *don't* want to make: Hammerdins (overplayed, and I hate the hammer arc), and Windy Druids (has anyone *ever* won a duel with a Tornado? It stumbles around randomly like a Kennedy at an open bar...)

I'm not looking for a build per se (I can probably figure that out on my own), but general suggestions as to capable level 30 casters that might be able to use much of what I already have for equipment. And if I missed a great caster idea in my pondering, please clue me in. Thanks!

The New LLD101 splash page (Props to Shieron)
just shdw

BNet Acct/Realm: US WEST [NL]
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:35 am    Post subject:  

i personally hate fohers cuz there kinda cheap, i would go for a blizzard ice blast sorc, good dmg and can tank well with shiver armour.
Inexorable

BNet Acct/Realm: TheSupplier, Cancerofdabowel
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:37 am    Post subject: Re: Need level 30ish Ladder caster suggestions  

Dao Jones wrote:
Windy Druids (has anyone *ever* won a duel with a Tornado? It stumbles around randomly like a Kennedy at an open bar...)

Funny you should mention that. With even decent gear, they rock pretty well. Definitely worth running if you load on the fcr.

Knarl wrote:
Inexorable beat LittleKnarl, 4-3. Grumble grumble. My poor smiter.

Knarl wrote:
4-3 for inexorable again in melee. 10 life...pssh.

If you cannot take the heat....
Dao Jones

33.66 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:53 am    Post subject: Re: Need level 30ish Ladder caster suggestions  

Cancerofdabowel wrote:
Funny you should mention that. With even decent gear, they rock pretty well. Definitely worth running if you load on the fcr.

Hi again. Your zealot is pretty tight. My problem with the Windy is that I hate the damn spell Tornado. I had a Windy a while ago, had great gear for him, and he did kick respectable ass with Hurricane and Tornado maxed with many +skills items, but god how I hated the Tornado. There's just no real way to aim that bastard. I can't tell you how many cow games I left in frustration as I sat there, within one inch of a pack of cows, spamming Tornados, and watched not a single Tornado hit a pack four cows wide because the stupid spell kept jigging off to the left, up, down, ANYWHERE but where I wanted it to go. I'd move and shoot again, but the damn spell just never seemed to want to hit. What usually saved me was my high-level Hurricane chilling them so I could run away and continue not hitting with Tornados.

So, I know what a Windy can do, and they can rock. But for me the formula is: Windy Rock-osity < Windy pain-in-the-ass-Tornado-osity.

And to DeathAdder: you're right. FoHer's are cheap. I only considered one because I've never played one, and it seems like it would be easy to get the remainder of the gear I needed for one. But maybe a Blizz sorc would be cool. Plus, I wouldn't have to aim the damn attack...

VoicesLLD

BNet Acct/Realm: Recovering WoW addict.
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:05 am    Post subject:  

you do have to aim with a blizzard sorc. if your opponent is running, you wont necessarily cast it on them in time. theres more strategy involved. ie: casting infront of their desired run path and them running into it, instead of trying to cast ontop of them, and them running away before it hits.

if you want to make a caster that rocks, and will dominate. make your spear/spirit necro.

spirit sword
magefists
vipermagi
pcrown
+2 pb magic ammy
fcr rings or angelics
sanders boots
your 'rhyme' +spear shield
and your 15 string

and you're set.

Last edited by VoicesLLD on Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Inexorable

BNet Acct/Realm: TheSupplier, Cancerofdabowel
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:31 am    Post subject:  

Alright. Against casters, wind druids would have a bit of a problem without teleportation of some kind. Against melees. shift-cast in their direction as they come to tank you. Even with running 7 sols, good 30 wind druids take down my zealot .. usually 1:1, sometimes a bit in their favor.

Knarl wrote:
Inexorable beat LittleKnarl, 4-3. Grumble grumble. My poor smiter.

Knarl wrote:
4-3 for inexorable again in melee. 10 life...pssh.

If you cannot take the heat....
B[x]

BNet Acct/Realm: Retired
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:21 pm    Post subject:  

with your wind druid, were you clicking on the monsters themselves to hit with tornado? i find that for wind druids, the best way to aim is to click about an inch behind the monster (or guy) that you're trying to hit.

[Important Links]
Dao Jones

33.66 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:01 am    Post subject:  

B[x] wrote:
with your wind druid, were you clicking on the monsters themselves to hit with tornado? i find that for wind druids, the best way to aim is to click about an inch behind the monster (or guy) that you're trying to hit.

I shot at them, behind them, near the, next to them - all over the place. I could just never find the "sweet spot" for hitting monsters with any reliability. I don't have the patience for an attack you essentially can't aim. I know I'm in the minority in this, because the Windy is a pretty popular build. But a Windy is pretty much out, regardless of their viability.

I may have to go and remake my bone necro as a lld, per Voices' suggestion. Although, I did get owned by a light sorc today, so maybe that might be a fun build to try...

At any rate, thanks all for the advice.

Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]  
 Forum index » Diablo 2 Discussion Section » LLD Discussion
Jump to: