LLD101 Forum Index LLD101
Low Level Dueling in 1.12

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue May 28, 2024 6:02 pm
All times are UTC - 8
 Forum index » Off-Topic Section » Off-Topic Discussion
gah...school
Page 4 of 4 [57 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4
VoicesLLD

BNet Acct/Realm: Recovering WoW addict.
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:45 pm    Post subject:  

i was a C- to c+ average student the entire way through high school.

grade 12 i decided to take

art 11
computer graphics 11a
computer graphics 11b
woodworks 12b
woodworks 12c
technology 11
english 12
math 11

i ended up graduating with a 3.5+ GPA, and honors.

when i got the letter in the mail saying i had done so, i thought they had made a mistake.."is this really for me? how did i manage this?"

turns out easy courses make for easy GPA. Laughing

and the icing on the cake was, i skipped about 30-40% of the classes. or skipped one and went to woodworks, where my teacher let me work thinking i was on a spare. Laughing

Makaveli

BNet Acct/Realm: e_sc_nl *nosemonkey-b *nosemonkey-b1 *nosemonkey-b2
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:01 pm    Post subject:  

B[x] wrote:
Weighting a person's GPA because he or she took Honors or AP courses is the second most ridiculous thing that schools have done when it comes to interfering with a person's educational future (the first being affirmative action). When a college looks at your transcript, they see that you have taken these accelerated courses and take that fact into consideration, knowing full well that they are more difficult. Now, when a school spoon feeds points onto a student's average when they take these classes, it just makes the little 'Honors' or 'AP' label on your transcript redundant. Not only that, but taking these advanced classes is by choice, the school board is not forcing you to take them. If you want to maintain your high GPA, don't take the harder subjects, stick with your woodshops and your leisure studies.

As for going back to school, move in for upperclassmen is the 31st of August; classes start September 1st. I've always started classes in the first week of September no matter what grade I was going into but then again, ever region of the world is different.

College admission people see the AP courses you have taken because there is always a place to put it in your application as well as the credit they may receive from AP tests. In my case, my school had a 4.0 average, so I got no GPA difference even though I took every AP/Honors course I possibly could have. My school mdae everyone with a 4.0 the valedictorians so it was me and 2 other kids that took hard courses with like 5 that never took anything that was remotely hard (I believe one took non-honors Algebra 2 in their senior year). So the weighted averages are pretty well needed to separate the clearly different amount of effort needed.

anyway, i started college today(yesterday) ;_; I can already tell its a lot better than (my) high school as it was terrible and the teachers couldnt even teach the higher math/science classes (ended up teaching myself calc/calc2/physics from the books zz)... i honestly feel like i wasted 4 years of my life... i could have taught myself more than they ever did in one year

B[x]

BNet Acct/Realm: Retired
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:41 am    Post subject:  

Makaveli wrote:
So the weighted averages are pretty well needed to separate the clearly different amount of effort needed.

I can understand the need to weight a person's average to distinguish who is the valedictorian but when it comes to applying for colleges, it's simply redundant. Some high schools have both an 'actual average' and a 'weighted average' to do just this and the system works fine, as far as I know.

[Important Links]
the_diggler

BNet Acct/Realm: *pp_12
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:52 pm    Post subject:  

Starting my junior year of high school next Tuesday. Should be fun. Only taking 4 "real" classes. All are pretty hard. I get a study hall every day though, which is nice. Getting up at 6 AM is gonna be hard though. Sad

The only hard part about this year will be the first half of the first semester. Soccer practice/games, work, and sleep. Plus, AP Calc, Physics, English, and Econ homework. Wooo.... Confused

The good thing is that I can get an 83 in all my classes and still get A's. 10% weight is a fun thing.

blizz99

BNet Acct/Realm: US East, Classic
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject:  

can some1 explain the "10% weight"???

im going to high-school right after labor day.... Confused
the_diggler

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject:  

blizz99 wrote:
can some1 explain the "10% weight"???

im going to high-school right after labor day.... Confused

Well, for my school, it doesn't count right into your grades that they print. It counts into your GPA (which for some reason my school doesn't do the 4.0 system...we do the 93-100 A, 86-92 B, etc.). Say I get an 85% in AP Calc. For my GPA it'll count as a 95% instead. I guess. I'm not sure if other high schools work the same as mine.

B[x]

BNet Acct/Realm: Retired
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject:  

the_diggler wrote:
Say I get an 85% in AP Calc. For my GPA it'll count as a 95% instead. I guess.

Not to be picky but a 10% weight added onto an 85 would give you a 93.5, not a 95. 10% is different than 10 points.

the_diggler wrote:
I'm not sure if other high schools work the same as mine.

If you read the thread, you would see by my posts that they do not.

[Important Links]
the_diggler

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:09 am    Post subject:  

B[x] wrote:
the_diggler wrote:
Say I get an 85% in AP Calc. For my GPA it'll count as a 95% instead. I guess.

Not to be picky but a 10% weight added onto an 85 would give you a 93.5, not a 95. 10% is different than 10 points.

I knew I messed it up somehow.

Zero
Victim of the BAN BLUDGEON

BNet Acct/Realm: U.S. east
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:34 am    Post subject:  

Well my friends have been leaving and the bulk of them leave 2morrow/saterday

we had the goodbye party last night
it was pretty sad
and 2day i had to say goodbye to a girl who means alot to me. That was deffinatly hard.
Now that all my friends r gone i guess i can start on my summer books
i got 7 days :-/

deviations

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject:  

you guys have pretty good grades. i really fucked myself over in 10th grade second semester. in 9th grade, i got straight a's both semesters. piece of cake. in 10th, i took AP bio and AP world. in my first semester, i got 4 A's 2 B's, and in my second semester, i got a D, C, 3 B's and one A. do you know why my grades sucked so much ass second semester? instead of doing homework and studying for tests, i played diablo. every fucking day. im not making that same mistake anymore, so i quit diablo, and when 11th grade starts im only taking 2 AP's so i have more time to do work and study for the SATs.
Mr.Snuggles

BNet Acct/Realm: North Carolina (Sadly)
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:15 pm    Post subject:  

all iv got to say...i feel sry for all of u taking honors class's....i was in AG (Academicly Gifted) class's since 2nd grade....and all it did was screw my school years up...im just now getting back on track (10th grade).....in 2-5th grade....i was doing work a year ahead of every 1 else...when i hit 6th grade....all hell broke loose....=\....i was getting a 95 on a test...and was being called stupid....yet another kid who would get a 80 would be praised because he wasnt in AG....so he wsnt expected to do as much.....eventualy this got to the point where we were being told a B was a failing grade and we would be held back.....i mostly laughed at this.....i started slacking off just to get even with them.....not doing hw....failing tests...putting rediculous answers.....mostly because i wanted out of AG...well come 8th grade....i still wasnt out....i even failed 8th grade english just to get out of being put in Honors English the next year....=\....i didnt kno i could just refuse to take Honors....hit 9th grade i was still put in English 9 (the one just below honors here)...Geometry...the rest of the class's were normal though.....ended up slacking off though ne way mostly cause i felt the freedom of not doing ne work....but im back on track now hopefully.....doing a lot of pc class's this year.....Computer Programming/Computer Enginering Tech (basicly building/taking apart computers and making them work)...and my other class's r Algebra 2 and Civics/Economics....lol sry if this seems more like a pissed off post....first day of school today wasnt to fun.....150 math problems already and 2x test tomorow....how lame...=\....but if i was in normal class's i bet i wouldnt have ne hw or tests.....Sad

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger 
fadextoxblackx

BNet Acct/Realm: USEast NL
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:14 pm    Post subject:  

Mr.Snuggles wrote:
all iv got to say...i feel sry for all of u taking honors class's....i was in AG (Academicly Gifted) class's since 2nd grade....and all it did was screw my school years up...im just now getting back on track (10th grade).....in 2-5th grade....i was doing work a year ahead of every 1 else...when i hit 6th grade....all hell broke loose....=\....i was getting a 95 on a test...and was being called stupid....yet another kid who would get a 80 would be praised because he wasnt in AG....so he wsnt expected to do as much.....eventualy this got to the point where we were being told a B was a failing grade and we would be held back.....i mostly laughed at this.....i started slacking off just to get even with them.....not doing hw....failing tests...putting rediculous answers.....mostly because i wanted out of AG...well come 8th grade....i still wasnt out....i even failed 8th grade english just to get out of being put in Honors English the next year....=\....i didnt kno i could just refuse to take Honors....hit 9th grade i was still put in English 9 (the one just below honors here)...Geometry...the rest of the class's were normal though.....ended up slacking off though ne way mostly cause i felt the freedom of not doing ne work....but im back on track now hopefully.....doing a lot of pc class's this year.....Computer Programming/Computer Enginering Tech (basicly building/taking apart computers and making them work)...and my other class's r Algebra 2 and Civics/Economics....lol sry if this seems more like a pissed off post....first day of school today wasnt to fun.....150 math problems already and 2x test tomorow....how lame...=\....but if i was in normal class's i bet i wouldnt have ne hw or tests.....Sad

Heh... I know how you feel...just this year I convinced my mom that I was'nt smart enough to be in all PAP classes, though I am "very accelerated" in math soo I'm forced to stay in Alg. 3 which in my school for my grade is 2 years ahead of where im supposed to be...but yea PAP blows Sad ...mostly cause I'm lazy! Very Happy

Oh and Spanish2 sucks.... though I live in Texas Sad and about half of my school is 'hispanic' soo I probably should learn spanish..its still dumb/gay!
Page 4 of 4 [57 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4
 Forum index » Off-Topic Section » Off-Topic Discussion
Jump to: