LLD101 Forum Index LLD101
Low Level Dueling in 1.12

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat Jun 15, 2024 3:23 pm
All times are UTC - 8
 Forum index » Off-Topic Section » Off-Topic Discussion
marijauna/other discusion
Page 1 of 2 [20 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Kody

0.03 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject:  marijauna/other discusion  

Yea im really not that knowledgable about this stuff (11th grade atm lol) but i love to read about the stuff some of yall talk about. hmmmmm so lets see what we can start off with.... how bout the legalization/taxation and what not. (i realise this was touched in my other thread although its just a starter topic)
Goky

1.68 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject:  

I guess I'll start!

To be honest, the legality of things doesn't bother me nearly as much as the social stigma. I was in the chemistry computer lab the other day and there was this big discussion going on about how drunk they all got the weekend before and how they all love <insert alcohol brand here> so much and how they can't wait to get drunk again at the bar this weekend blabla.

Then there was this other kid a few minutes later who mentioned how he got high the weekend before and you could almost sense the eye rolling and under the breath scoffing and tension in the room.

Why is it that drinking is practically a right of passage, yet if you smoke you're this dirty bum who must live in his parents basements and your life must revolve around getting high? I think a lot of the problem is that the people who are the most vocal about the fact that they smoke are the ones who actually DO smoke all the time. The ones who just do it occasionally and live perfectly normal productive lives never really tell anyone out of fear of the stigma, and being ostracized.

As far as legal issues go, whether you agree with people smoking pot or not, I think it's obvious that people are going to do it regardless of whether or not it's illegal. By having it illegal, you create more crime than you stop, because you start an "anything goes" black market (since you can't exactly call the cops to tell them some guy ripped you off when you went to go buy an ounce).

Look at alcohol prohibition in the 1920's--it didn't work. Organized gangs took advantage of the fact that there was a demand for an item that people couldn't get anywhere else. You then have people killing eachother over the commodity (not for the item itself, but for the potential money behind it) and control over that commodity. It also affects the end user, because you have an unregulated product which could be practically anything. I can imagine that the bathtub gin of the 1920's wasn't entirely healthy for you considering all the additional crap that was in it.

Likewise, prohibition now doesn't work. In addition to the whole black market crime thing, a lot of the dangers in drug use are actually because of the whole unregulated product thing--heroin addicts dying because they get a new batch which is much less cut than before, so they overdose; people out to purchase MDMA getting meth/DXM/whatever else causing all sorts of adverse reactions that wouldn't have been there otherwise.

You also have otherwise crime-free citizens getting arrested, losing their jobs, students losing financial aid because *gasp* they'd rather smoke a joint than get drunk. People inherently think that alcohol is somehow not harmful at all, and I guess you really can't blame them considering you see a myriad of BUY OUR BEER! commercials on TV everyday. I've actually met people that sincerely believed that alcohol wasn't a drug. It perplexes me.

Going to a college which has it's share of drinking and parties, you constantly encounter loud obnoxious drunks who decide to yell things, make retarded decisions, start fights and vomit all over my balcony, but if someone wants to sit in their room and smoke pot and listen to music for a while then he's a felon? Great! (Yes, I realize that not everyone who drinks vomits and tries to start fights, and not everyone who smokes pot just chills in their room with their favorite album).

Ok that's about it for now.

Last edited by Goky on Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Goky

1.68 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject:  

Ok I have more stuff to say I forgot.

The last time we had one of these threads, Shade was very adament about his anti-drug stance, with the reasoning being that whatever you put in your body doesn't just affect you, it affects others as well.

To be honest, I agree with him. The more libertarian stance of "it's my body I can do what I want with it argument" is sort of flawed, because you are affecting more people than yourself.

Where I disagree with him, is the extent to which he takes it. To be honest, EVERYTHING we do affects other people. Should we just ban everything that could possibly cause us to hurt someone? Shade was a huge fan of fast, powerful cars, and statistically people with fast, powerful cars are much more likely to cause wrecks. Should we ban fast cars then? After all, someone might be irresponsible and hurt someone!

Honestly, there are irresponsible stupid people in the world. Whether it be cars, guns, or drugs, people are going to abuse and misuse them. However, it just isn't practical or realistic to go banning and outlawing everything that people are irresponsible with, because no matter the item, someone will always find something else to be irresponsible and retarded with. The issue is more of that of human nature than it is any given item.

Ok bye again.
Kody

0.03 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject:  

ok well lets say they did happen to legalize marijauna and perhaps drop the drinking age to 18 or what ever. Do you think that doing this would help people of future generations be able to better regulate thier alcohol intake? and with the legalization of marijauna possibly the same thing happen somewhat? and if it did get legalized i do think the number of ilegal dealers drop by a rather large number considering they probaly only deal the most common type of marijauna (shwag or at least where i am that is) although i dont think if marijauna did get legalized they would legalize all the different kinds so this would still allow the distribution of it illegally (i hope this has made sense lol) and just a little side note to ya goky i like some of the points you made in this thread and the other one dealing with hemp
Knifer

BNet Acct/Realm: Hawaii/Oregon
1.39 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject:  

Kody wrote:
ok well lets say they did happen to legalize marijauna and perhaps drop the drinking age to 18 or what ever. Do you think that doing this would help people of future generations be able to better regulate thier alcohol intake?

most people drink before that anyway. regulation comes with repeated experiences anyway.

Kody wrote:
and with the legalization of marijauna possibly the same thing happen somewhat?

mj is different than alcohol. it just makes you really chill and relaxed. also gives you a memory span of like 20 sec. alcohol does a lot more than mj does imo.

Elusive

BNet Acct/Realm: *elusive-
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject:  

to me both arent terrible unless you become dependent.

i guess weed is seen as "worse" because a lot more people i know have dropped out of school or messed up their lives due to drugs rather than alcohol, and weed is usually the starting drug that people get hooked on.
Meegz ?

BNet Acct/Realm: *meegz @ east ladder
39.74 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject:  

actually, from what i've seen either cigarettes or alcohol come before the weed. and a lot of my friends didn't finish school and now smoke a LOT of pot...

i didn't know that someone could be so stoned they couldn't remember their name until i went over to a buddy's house one night...ya...i didnt go home...and they do that shit on a very regular basis.

Napalm loves the little children of the world.
Knifer

1.39 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:01 pm    Post subject:  

Meegz ? wrote:
actually, from what i've seen either cigarettes or alcohol come before the weed. and a lot of my friends didn't finish school and now smoke a LOT of pot...

yea thats usually the case, probably just due to the accessability.

Meegz ? wrote:
i didn't know that someone could be so stoned they couldn't remember their name until i went over to a buddy's house one night...ya...i didnt go home...and they do that shit on a very regular basis.

could they not remember or was it just delayed super long? like i said, it messes up your memory. one time i thought i was living in a memory and i could tell the future. not like years, but maybe an hour in the past.

and yes its commonly refered to as the gateway drug.

SoaringSquirrel

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject:  

Meegz ? wrote:
and a lot of my friends didn't finish school and now smoke a LOT of pot...

However, it's not clear that their dropping out of school is a result of smoking pot; remember that correlation does not imply causation. It may very well be the case that the unmotivated "slackers" are the ones who gravitate towards marijuana in the first place, not that marijuana necessarily corrupts the innocent, ambitious youth.

Knifer wrote:
like i said, it messes up your memory.

Yes, cannabinoids affect the hippocampus region of the brain which deals largely with memory and movement (e.g. directional movement). THC has a very long half life (~20 hours IIRC), so the effects of it may last for quite some time after cessation, especially after chronic, heavy usage.

Knifer wrote:
and yes its commonly refered to as the gateway drug.

True, but I remember a "Yes to decriminalization" argument of marijuana that, though people who move on to harder drugs usually start with marijuana, the percentage of those who actually do this is below 3; in fact, you could argue that tobacco or alcohol are both more primordial gateway drugs than MJ.

In my opinion, if alcohol remains legal, then when a efficient testing mechanism for THC becomes available, marijuana should have equal privilege; especially if the primary source of ingestion is either oral or through a vaporizor (pot leaves have higher levels of tar when smoked than tobacco). The government will certainly receive a nice monetary boost too if they tax it sufficiently.

Discussing marijuana certainly implies the potential decriminalization of other, harder drugs too. Before I comment, how do you guys feel about mushrooms, LSD, and DMT? Or amphetamines, cocaine, and opiates? Timothy Leary contends that drugs spurned the very evolution of mankind - does it not continue to be the case, if not doubly so in the modern age of antibiotics, analgesics, antidepressants, stimulants, depressants, aphrodisiacs, and every other self-defeating drug we ingest; perhaps most vitally, the question is, does this compromise our very individuality?

(The irony is that, as I am posting this, I am also on adderall so I can cram over a month of lecture material in one night. Cheers.)

Props to Mark Owens for the sig. My firstborn baby squirrel will be sacrificed in your honor. Wink
Goky

1.68 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:54 am    Post subject:  

The "gateway drug" argument is a pretty big load of poop.

The idea is that because most heroin addicts started with marijuana, then marijuana must be some form of gateway drug into harder things. What they don't tell you is that most people who do marijuana don't start doing heroin. If that was the case, then they'd have a little more of a valid argument.

I think it's just an issue of some people being more curious about drugs in the first place--obviously if you are, you aren't going to hop directly to heroin or something, you'd start with the more easily available and more benign of the choices.

Also, last time I checked they also included tobacco and alcohol as gateway drugs. Most people do those before they even smoke pot.

Come to think of it, I used to spin around in circles as a child way before I ever did drugs. We better get moving on this one.

KC, as far as psychedelics and things go, I'm not sure. A part of me would want them legal, but a major part of me also realizes that most people are pretty silly, and are just going to take them "to get fuzxed up yo" which just sort of makes me sad.
Knifer

1.39 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject:  

goky do you know about the effects of salvia vs lsd/pcp and such? i always kinda wondered why salvia is legal when i heard so many stories of people just tripping out for hours.

BloodRose

BNet Acct/Realm: *Ghettoboyjmb
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject:  

I just want to make a note...

you never see people dieing from marijuana
but alchohal poisoning kills hunderds of thousands yearly

you never see people that are high killing people/themselves or commiting serious crimes

but drunks are always killing themselves/people and breaking/destroying property

point stated??

Goky

1.68 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject:  

Knifer wrote:
goky do you know about the effects of salvia vs lsd/pcp and such? i always kinda wondered why salvia is legal when i heard so many stories of people just tripping out for hours.

Well, the main salvia effects only last for a few minutes, the lingering after-effects maybe for half an hour tops. But yeah, I'd say the reason for salvia being legal is because it isn't very recreational, and wasn't very well known (it is now, and it's probably going to be illegal soon just because the media is having a field day with it). It's important to remember that there are a metric boatload of psychedelics out there that aren't specifically scheduled, but I suppose could be under the analogue act. For more information, wikipedia "Alexander Shulgin".

Anyway, PCP is sort of in a class of its own, it's not a true psychedelic/hallucinogen, it's a dissociative, which pretty much does what the name sounds like. To be honest, I'm not sure why the DARE program and all of those anti-drug sites harp on PCP so much, it's extremely uncommon.

Salvia is a pretty strange drug, for most, it pretty much dissolves any sense of reality (like I said, 5-10 minutes tops), which can be "sort of weird" or "very frightening". People hear that and they're like "whoah kewel and its legalz!@" but they sort of overestimate it. It can be a pretty frightening expereince. Even when it isn't frightening, it's so non-sensical that it still isn't really considered "fun" by any means. Hence that whole non-recreational part.

Salvia in itself really isn't such a danger when used responsibly, as long as you're in a nice comforatable spot and have someone to sit there and watch over you, there's only so much you could really do. I guess we just have to work on that "responsible people" part.

Likewise, people in general make LSD out to be the hardcorest of drugs reaching mythical giant proportions, but when used by responsible people under sensible conditions, it too isn't the huge danger that everyone makes it out to be. LSD typically doesn't cause people to lose their sense of reality unless they take some heroic dose.

I know this sounds hippy-like, but I'm not trying to be, really. I haven't taken a psychology class in a while (I'm sure someone can help me out here) but when we go through life, our brain makes "filters" to just be able to cope with life a bit easier. For example, we may sort of choose to ignore certain things that bother us just to make things easier. After being hurt, some people will push people away to avoid being hurt again. Things like that. Some of this is good, and just helps you cope with life better (such as subconsciously ignoring everything that arrogant, obnoxious guy at works says), but some of it can really be quite detrimental to a persons life (such as pushing everyone away because we don't want to get hurt).

This is where the thereapeutic nature of LSD comes in--for whatever reason, it seems to temporarily "dissolve" those filters. It's like seeing the world through new eyes. It can really help people find out things wrong with themselves, and how they're hurting themselves by the ways they cope and deal with life on a day-to-day basis.

I'm pretty horrible at explaining things.
James

BNet Acct/Realm: USEastNL - *BoD_LLD *BoD_PvM
5.79 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject:  

few points to cover here:

salvia (salvia divinorum, aka the divine sage) is a member of the sage family and is a beautiful plant. the salvia trip is very different for each person. moreso than just about anything short of DMT (at least, from my experience). it can be pleasant or a pain in the ass, depending on how you accept its effects. i personally enjoy the mental aspects of it, but it gives me a pins and needles kind of itch over my entire body for about 5-10 minutes. it's a short trip, peaking at about 5 minutes after inhalation and beginning to decline about 5-10 minutes later. baseline state is returned to about 30 minutes after initial inhalation.

lsd is an entity unto itself. don't even ask too much about this one. for every fact that we can verify 100%, there are a hundred unanswered questions concerning its method of action.

pcp...as goky stated, it's a dissociative. it's in the same mismatched family as ketamine and dextromethorphan. i say mismatched, because the only commonality between these three is that they create a schism between body and mind. i do have to agree with goky not understanding why pcp is hyped by DARE and anti-drug groups. after being involved in the illicit substance scene for almost a decade, i've only seen it around the midwest three times that i can remember.

and shura shulgin. he is a god among men. he has personally created (and tested) well over 200 psychedelically active substances. he has written two full-length novels with his wife, anne: TIHKAL (tryptamines i have known and loved) and PIHKAL (phenylthylamines i have known and loved). both of these works also contain a second half composed of nothing but lab material. 100% textbook chemistry recipes for many of the substances he has created.

oh, i shouldn't forget: shulgin is also personally responsible for the rediscovery of MDMA (ecstasy) Razz

You could be called Belaraschlong_isHuge.

Meegz ?

BNet Acct/Realm: *meegz @ east ladder
39.74 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject:  

i havent tried salvia (yet) but my buddy did, said he hit it, then rolled over in the back seat of the car and laughed so hard he was drooling. 30 secs later he sat back up and said it was a fun trip, but not worth $30 a gram.

also, i'm into guns and whatnot so i read a lot of gun magazines, which include stories written by cops. the few i've read of ppl on pcp interracting with the cops always ended up bad. but i know its not that common, in fact thats one of the few drugs i dont think i'd be able to get in my town if i wanted to (which i really, really dont...)

one thing about some of the other drugs you listed kc, is that they are addicting to the point of sacrificing everything you own just to get 1 more fix...no one does that for cigarettes, alcohol, or weed. and the reason is it doesnt form a physical dependency like the opiates and coke do (yes, alcohol does form physical dependencies MILDLY, as compared to coke/opiates. even tobacco to some extent, but much less than even alcohol)

that is the main reason i wouldn't like coke/opiates/etc... to be legalized...

Napalm loves the little children of the world.
Page 1 of 2 [20 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
 Forum index » Off-Topic Section » Off-Topic Discussion
Jump to: