LLD101 Forum Index LLD101
Low Level Dueling in 1.12

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun Jun 16, 2024 2:19 pm
All times are UTC - 8
 Forum index » Off-Topic Section » Off-Topic Discussion
Off-Topic Discussion
Page 4 of 10 [139 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 Next
Jerkazoid

BNet Acct/Realm: wscl
4.86 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject:  

Goky wrote:
I'm not going into medicine, I'm going into chemistry!

And they pay me, I don't pay Smile

well then g g goky!
( i tried saying "not good" but it changes that to "not good" SEE IT DID IT AGAIN!)

Goky wrote:

Seriously, I wish I had the balls to be a medical doctor. At least I'd pretty much be guaranteed employment for the rest of my life.

But alas, I could never cut a person open, I'd pass out on the spot. Heck, I hate even being near sick people. And I've never seen a dead person!

ahahha when my bro called me to say "they let me cut someone" i was laughing with fear on my breathe

Dao Jones

BNet Acct/Realm: *Dao_Jones, Bi-Realmsual.
33.66 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject:  

Goky wrote:

The better route to go, really. My friend and I were just discussing how significant the advances in the biosciences have been in recent years. Considering that straight electronic/mechanical technological development has become very linear in the last ten-twenty years, the new frontier in radical scientific advancement is definitely the organic sciences. Chemistry is going to be a very fascinating, and VERY busy field in the upcoming decade.

Quote:
Seriously, I wish I had the balls to be a medical doctor. At least I'd pretty much be guaranteed employment for the rest of my life.

Dude, don't EVER think that. I've known several medical doctors, (four, in fact) and every single one will tell you that going into medicine thinking you'll be well off is so far from the truth it isn't even funny. Not only do you have staggering school bills, but don't forget that for your first year out of med school you're basically working for free as an intern. And even if you're a successful private practice doctor, the loss of return from programs like Medicare, and the staggering cost of malpractice insurance (not to mention the inevitable suits from greedy patients) leave more doctors considering leaving the field than entering it.

The New LLD101 splash page (Props to Shieron)
Goky

1.68 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject:  

Dao Jones wrote:
Goky wrote:

The better route to go, really. My friend and I were just discussing how significant the advances in the biosciences have been in recent years. Considering that straight electronic/mechanical technological development has become very linear in the last ten-twenty years, the new frontier in radical scientific advancement is definitely the organic sciences. Chemistry is going to be a very fascinating, and VERY busy field in the upcoming decade.

Quote:

Dude, don't EVER think that. I've known several medical doctors, (four, in fact) and every single one will tell you that going into medicine thinking you'll be well off is so far from the truth it isn't even funny. Not only do you have staggering school bills, but don't forget that for your first year out of med school you're basically working for free as an intern. And even if you're a successful private practice doctor, the loss of return from programs like Medicare, and the staggering cost of malpractice insurance (not to mention the inevitable suits from greedy patients) leave more doctors considering leaving the field than entering it.

Reassuring words! But yeah, specifically biochemistry and materials chemistry are exploding right now, there's so many "tiny" cell labs getting bought up by pharm companies right now for absurd amounts of money.. in the past ten years biology and chemistry have sort of struck the same path, now that the chemical aspects of biological systems are becoming much more understood and manageable.

I'm not specifically doing biochem, but most of the analytical chemistry research at UNC-CH is centered around analysis of biological systems and involves a fair amount of materials science as well, so I'll still have plenty of experience in those. Plus I'll become a super awesome master of instrumentation, which is pretty much critical for any chemistry research these days.

Anyway, we'll see where it goes. I mean chances are I won't be unemployed or anything like that, but I just not be involved in what I exactly want to do. I know someone who just got a PhD in astrophysics who now has a high position at a... bank. Granted the job has nothing to do with astrophysics, but just the fact that you managed to get a PhD in a very mentally demanding field says a lot about a person.

Wish me luck!
Torrent

BNet Acct/Realm: Torrent@USEast
13.37 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject:  

youre totally helping me with my homework sometime. im in HONORS, bitch!

I don't want a cycle of recycled revenge

I don't wanna follow Death And All of His Friends
http://lld101.com/viewtopic.php?t=44473 (for my own reference)
Dao Jones

33.66 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject:  

Goky wrote:
I mean chances are I won't be unemployed or anything like that, but I just not be involved in what I exactly want to do. I know someone who just got a PhD in astrophysics who now has a high position at a... bank.

My current job involves business project and program management. I help companies manage their special projects more effectively. Before that, I worked as a photographer, videographer/editor, and event coordinator while overseas. Before that, I was a supervisor in the recreation department of a city government. I've also been a talent agent, network tester for video games, information management officer ("computer guy") for the US Army, and I even managed a burlesque dance group for a while. Know what I got my college degree in? Theatre Arts. Very Happy

You'd be surprised how many people end up deviating from their college ambitions. I knew someone who had an undergrad degree in chemistry, but ultimately decided to go to law school. And I knew a laywer who got tired of law, and became a barber.

Goky

1.68 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject:  

Theater Arts? Is there something you need to be telling us Dao? Wink
Meegz ?

BNet Acct/Realm: *meegz @ east ladder
39.74 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:55 am    Post subject:  

Heh, if a straight man gets a Theatre Arts degree at my college a turtle shits golden eggs to homeless people for a year.
Napalm loves the little children of the world.
Dao Jones

33.66 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject:  

Meegz ? wrote:
Heh, if a straight man gets a Theatre Arts degree at my college a turtle shits golden eggs to homeless people for a year.

Three kinds of people get college degrees in theatre:

1. Gay men
2. Emotionally needy, attractive women
3. Those of us smart enough to do the math on that equation.

Truth be told, I originally planned on getting a psychology degree. Got about halfway through before I realized how much I hate research psychology. Theatre seemed like a way to try "applied psychology" without taking a mandatory statistics class.

Plus, I was totally chasing a girl through the department. Mr. Green She and I dated on and off during and after college for some time. If not for her, I'd have probably gone back to psychology. So that's pretty much how that happened.

Hong10

BNet Acct/Realm: *QuatroFun *HeLOL / East SC NL
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:51 am    Post subject:  

Jobs, eh?

Anyone here familiarized on Computer science area? I have no idea on what I'll be working on next 4-5 years :/
I'm basically learning programing with Java, but most people there uses C (word on street is java is for homos haha)

Also, how to deal with the temptation on gaming? I mean... I feel like a sommelier that usually gets drunk or something, and the thing is my father keeps taking computer/internet off me, so, when I FINALLY gets it back, I kinda abuses of it on the first days, also maybe because I know It will take a while till I use it again,(and damn, most of the time is to refresh mules/ checking e-mails for not logging on past months lol).
Then he goes on "SEE! You can't control yourself"(that pisses me alot). How the hell I'll learn to control the time I take on comp if I can't even use it?. Meh.. a crappy cycle.

As we both are stupidly pride, we come into this impass.

Dao Jones

33.66 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject:  

I'm sorry, but I have to point this out. Hong's post is full of typos and errors, but he spells "sommelier" correctly? Dude - I couldn't have spelled that right on my first try.

That's just funny to me. I don't know why. It's like a fine bottle of wine consumed over a meal of KFC.

Hong10

BNet Acct/Realm: *QuatroFun *HeLOL / East SC NL
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:04 am    Post subject:  

Dao Jones wrote:
I'm sorry, but I have to point this out. Hong's post is full of typos and errors, but he spells "sommelier" correctly? Dude - I couldn't have spelled that right on my first try.

That's just funny to me. I don't know why. It's like a fine bottle of wine consumed over a meal of KFC.

Sad Sorry Dao, but d2 is the only practice I have with(in? on?) English(not exactly the Grammar Nazi Squad). I've been watching movies with english sub, not sure if it's working tho. Google sure helps but don't make miracles, I'll try harder.

aww i fail at english Sad

Dao Jones

33.66 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject:  

No, don't try harder. It's fine if English isn't your first (or second, or third) language. At least there's a reason you type like you do. Heck - if I had to try to type in YOUR native language, it'd probably look like the ravings of a drunken idiot.

Far, far worse to be American (or Canadian, British) born and raised, and type like an idiot. Those are the people we should rightfully be making fun of.

Anyway, I was just commenting on how amusing it was that you correctly used and spelled an uncommon word in a language that you struggle a bit with.

Totally changing the subject: this political season is awesome. I'm really enjoying following the primaries. Best election season in my lifetime. Every day there's a new frontrunner.

Roy
My level 18s > yours

223.30 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject:  

Goky I just want to say that I love you and that if things don't work out with Mrs. Goky, PM me.

yarly
Mimes

BNet Acct/Realm: e/sc/l Mimes., Mimes-LLD, Justin27 and 1338
34.96 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject:  

i could have sworn i posted here earlier today.... anyways.

Ya, so don't worry about it hong. Like Dao said, since it isnt your 1st language we don't mind.

Also about the primaries, it is very close, but i personally don't like any of the candidates :/

1,000th post on 12/12/07
Dao Jones

33.66 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject:  

Mimes wrote:
Also about the primaries, it is very close, but i personally don't like any of the candidates :/

Psh... politics isn't about liking the candidates. It's about selecting the least nauseating choice from a pool of 2 or more very similar idiots who argue how different they are on a range of issues they have no intention of addressing once they enter office.

But THIS year! This year our bland, unpalatable candidates come in different colors and genders! We got us a woman, a black guy, and we even got one a' them Mormons! Plus, an old guy! (McCain will be the oldest president ever elected if he wins.) At least in 2008 we get to look at something other than old white men.

On a more serious note, you people should be watching, because it is *very* likely that history is going to be made in November. The Democratic candidate is either going to be black or female, and that candidate is quite likely to win the White House. (The Republican party is currently tearing itself apart, with the conservatives refusing to vote for McCain, the religious right refusing to vote for Romney, and everyone else looking at Huckabee and laughing. No matter who wins the Republican nomination, the party is going to remain fractured for some time.)

That may not seem like much to the younger folks, but you have to realize what a huge leap forward this may be for our shamefully sexist, racist society. 44 years ago a Roman Catholic was elected President, and that was huge. This year, we may see the nation's highest glass ceiling finally break.

Page 4 of 10 [139 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 Next
 Forum index » Off-Topic Section » Off-Topic Discussion
Jump to: