LLD101 Forum Index LLD101
Low Level Dueling in 1.12

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun Jun 16, 2024 2:07 am
All times are UTC - 8
 Forum index » Diablo 2 Discussion Section » General Discussion
Guide to Level 30-35 Smiters
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]  
Elusive

BNet Acct/Realm: *elusive-
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:01 pm    Post subject:  Guide to Level 30-35 Smiters  

I posted this in MLD as well, but i thought it would serve some purposes here.

As you all should know, smiters according to LLD101 rules are capped at level 28. Rightfully so, because level 29 opens up sojs and shael runes. This adds nearly 100 damage, and allows you to reach the final IAS breakpoint for smite. Basically, you shouldn't lose =D.

Now while i love low level dueling with smiters, i wanted to explore a few levels higher, to see how much more damage and life i could gain with a slew of gear options. Here's some tips and setups for smiters from level 30-35.

Level 30:
This opens up the +2 Combat Skills Tab, which will greatly improve your smite damage. Amulets, Circlets, and Shields all can spawn with the mod "Hawk Branded", so if you're looking to up your damage, this mod can help you greatly.

The best shield IMO spawns at this level: Hawk Branded Barbed Shield of Deflectting. +2 Combat skills, 30% Faster Block/20% Increased Block. Damage and More block are two of the most desirable mods in a smiter shield, and this is the optimal shield to grant it. Socket this with 2xPDiamonds for Resists. If you have some nice stat/resist all jewels, you could use them as well.

Here is the shield i use on my 35 Smiter:

15%resist all/6 str jewel + 10% resist all/6 str/20 psn dmg jewel

Level 30 also enables the use of Upgraded Twitchthroe and Bloodfist. Twitch is one of many useable armors at this level (plus it looks so sexy!), socket this with a PRuby for 38 life.

You also get Fanaticism, but i wouldn't advise it at level 1. With enough +skills on your gear, maybe it would allow enough speed on it to benefit the loss of %ed.

Level 31:
Allows you to use 15% ias jewels, which can be placed into any socket. Very useful if you need a boost in your smite speed.

Second mods, such as resist all, can also help. My alternate up'd twitch is socketed with a 12% resist all/15% ias jewel.

Level 32:
Offers the use of my all-time favorite boots, Waterwalk. This always overlooked set of kicks gives you 15 dex, and when perfect, +65 life. The 15 dex allows you to skin 15 more points into vit = 45 life. Thus, Waterwalk can give you 110 life.

People will debate this, but i find these boots more fit for me than goblin toe. The 25% CB is nice on Goblin, but 110 more life gives me more survivability. I deal enough damage, anyway, with my setup.

Level 33:
No real gear upgrades here. If for some odd reason you stop here, use Fantacisim for sure.

Level 34:
Guillaume's Face becomes useable at this level. Usually overlooked, it offers a stunning 35% CB, and 30% FHR. The downside is the 115 STR req, so this should be your highest requirement item.

PRuby or Ias jewel it.

Level 35:
Black Runeword becomes available. Offers you 15% ias, 40% CB, and Knockback. Put Thul, Io, Nef runes into a 3 socket Flail or War Axe for range 3 Smite.

Level 36 allows the use of Up'd Swordback hold, just to let you know.

Gear Setups.
This is a list of different gear setups. With no Fantacisim, you will need 130% Ias to reach the 6-Frame Breakpoint. At level 9 Fanatacism (which i have), you need 50% ias to reach the 6-Frame Speed.

A link to the weapon speed calculator is here:
http://diablo2.ingame.de/tips/calcs/weaponspeed.php?lang=english

Open Wounds isn't really a factor at this level, its all damage and crushing blow. Unless your opponent runes, open wounds wont do you too much. Keep a Up'd Bonesnap/Steeldriver on charge switch

Level 30:
Basic Setup (one i'd use)
P Ruby Peasant Crown
+1 pally or +2 Pcombat/40+ life ammy
2x Pdiamond Hawk Branded Barbed of Deflecting/Rhyme Barbed Shield (CBF)
P Ruby Up'd Twitch
Deaths Gloves+Belt
2xSoj
Goblin Toes

You have 50% ias with this build, so you need 80% More. Only real choice of a weapon here is a War Axe or Flail socketed with 4xShaels and the rest, 15% resist alll jewels

Damage Reduction Build: Vs Smiters/Melee
Sol'd P Crown (Smite)/P Ruby Crown
Sol'd/P Ruby Twitch or Sol'd Rockfleece (10% DR)
2x Sol Hawk Branded Barbed of Deflecting/Rhyme Barbed Shield
String of Ears, 15% DR
Bloodfist
2xSoj
Goblin Toes
5x Shael War Axe/Flail (6 Shael Flail if using Rockfleece

Sol lowers damage from Smite, and the DR should help vs melee.

High Crushing Blow build:
P Ruby Peasant Crown
+1 pally or +2 Pcombat/40+ life ammy
2x Pdiamond Hawk Branded Barbed of Deflecting/Rhyme Barbed Shield (CBF)
P Ruby Rattlecage
15% String
Bloodfist
2xSoj
Goblin Toes
6xShael in your weapon to reach Breakpoint

Level 35:
My Setup:
P Ruby Guillaume's Face
+1 Pal/52 life ammy
12 str/25 resist all jeweled Hawk Branded Barbed Shield of Deflecting
P Ruby Up'd Twitch
Deaths Set
65 Life Waterwalks
2xSoj
Black Flail Runeword

DR setup:
15% ias Guillaume's Face
Same ammy
Same Shield
15% ias Rockfleece
Bloodfist
15% String
65 Life Waterwalks
2xSoj
Black Flail

Crazy CB setup:
15 ias/P Ruby Guillaume's Face
Same ammy
Same Shield
15 ias/P Ruby Rattlecage
Bloodfist + String/ Deaths (vs Melee if im frozen)
Goblin Toe
2xSoj
Black Flail

I've heard mixed opinions about Crushing Blow. Some say it Caps at 100, but a few 35 smiters i play with say it doesnt. Anyone know for sure?

Fill your inventory with Life scs. Desirable 2nd mods are all resist, high individual resists, defense.

Stats:
(Remember i am level 35)
Str: Mine at base is 93, enough to wear Guillaume's Face with gear.
Dex: Mine is at base is 32, enough with max block with gear
Vit: All you can spare
Eng: Zero

Skills:
12 into Holy Shield
6 Into Fantacisim
12 Into Smite
1 into Holy Freeze
1 into Pre-Req skills (7 total)

This is for a non-hell rushed char. Fully Hell rushed with all skill quests done would put the rest into smite.

You dont need holy freeze, but its fun sometimes. Keep a lifetap wand in your stash for some kicks as well. (BM is fun for me sometimes)

Any tips or comments are welcome and encouraged!
Knarl
You're Doomed

BNet Acct/Realm: USWest NL: *IK_Knarl, *NewKnarl2
1.21 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:59 pm    Post subject:  

I thought upped swordback hold was lvl 30 req.

That's a great guide. You could use a -15 req/ed/stat jewel in guillaumes to reduce that high str req.

Maybe if you use fana you could use a shael crushflange or something with better mods than just a shaeled wep for certain builds if you hit a fast enough breakpoint. Just a thought.

Also, a great option if you can get it is a 5 shael war scepter with nice +skills like holy shield, a dmg aura, or something. It's way better than just a shaeled plain wep...except for the potential loss of range.

Elusive

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:12 pm    Post subject:  

Knarl wrote:
I thought upped swordback hold was lvl 30 req.

That's a great guide. You could use a -15 req/ed/stat jewel in guillaumes to reduce that high str req.

Maybe if you use fana you could use a shael crushflange or something with better mods than just a shaeled wep for certain builds if you hit a fast enough breakpoint. Just a thought.

Also, a great option if you can get it is a 5 shael war scepter with nice +skills like holy shield, a dmg aura, or something. It's way better than just a shaeled plain wep...except for the potential loss of range.

True, but im postive you know the cost of +3 HS war scepters now. This build isnt exactly for the richest of us out there. And that -Req on the Guillaume's is a good idea, but im using my ed/-req jewels for my lvl 9 defiant smiter =D.

At this level, the 6 frame smite is pretty much necessary, considering the pounding you would take from another smiter if youre using a slower frame. Shael Crushflange is a good alternative to Black, good idea.

I generally 3-4 hit kill anything below 1k life with 75% CB. I may start using 15% ias/resist all twitch, string, and bloodfist, but im not sure. Id lose a few resist all (can be made up with small charms), would keep life at the same, and have perm 15% dr.

Maybe Up Swordback is 30...cuz one of my friend's is 36, but it could be the jewel in there. ill ask him. It's still not a great shield for this build.
krajee

9.68 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject:  

Elusive wrote:
Maybe Up Swordback is 30...cuz one of my friend's is 36, but it could be the jewel in there. ill ask him. It's still not a great shield for this build.

Yea, $10 says its an ias jewel

Knarl
You're Doomed

BNet Acct/Realm: USWest NL: *IK_Knarl, *NewKnarl2
1.21 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:58 pm    Post subject:  

Well, yeah, a perfect +3 hs scepter does cost an arm and a leg, but a +3 conc scepter or +3 fana scepter doesn't.

And you could always find a +holy shield scepter in cows or something.

Elusive

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject:  

I just posted scepters as an option; if a +3 fanta/+Hs scepter popped up only then would i use it for my char

but for lvl 30-34 ish, yes,scepters are a feasable choice for a weapon. the only problem is, the less fanta you have, the more ias gear you need, and that usually means, less life/CB
Beava

BNet Acct/Realm: quit d2 got jacked
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject:  

For skills I wouldent say 6 into fana... Only add into fana if you need to get next frame holy shield boost damage alot more.

Elusive

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:13 pm    Post subject:  

Beava wrote:
For skills I wouldent say 6 into fana... Only add into fana if you need to get next frame holy shield boost damage alot more.

you cant max holy shield, req. level is 24. Yes you would max it first, but you can only put 12 points into at at level 35. Fanta adds more smite damage than smite, increases ias, and is a benefit in team dueling, so that gets the 6 possible points at level 35.

smite you do last; adds the least damage. kinda ironic but meh
Beava

BNet Acct/Realm: quit d2 got jacked
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject:  

Ah i dont remeber saying to max Holy shield but i see what you mean. You might wanna tell people you have to save skills get that much in fana (I should have looked more closely)

Elusive

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:03 pm    Post subject:  

I would hope thats how people build their lld chars...to level up i just get a bunch of +6 str gcs and use sigons + normal attack. works well enough till 25, when i baal.

But yeah, saving all skill/stat points is the right thing to do.
Elusive

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject:  

I got a +2 P combat/74 life ammy from a public trade. I find this to work out better than the +1 all pall skills ammy.

a tiny bit of ias is lost, but more damage.
Lyrs

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:50 am    Post subject:  

I've never seen a hawk branded shield before so I'm thinking it'll also cost an arm and maybe two legs.

For my smiter, I use Lance Guard/Rhyme barbed shield.
Elusive

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:11 pm    Post subject:  

you could shop hell drognan thats what i did before, but i got one socket. i traded for my current one; it was clean.
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]  
 Forum index » Diablo 2 Discussion Section » General Discussion
Jump to: