LLD101 Forum Index LLD101
Low Level Dueling in 1.12

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun Jun 16, 2024 2:59 pm
All times are UTC - 8
 Forum index » Diablo 2 Discussion Section » LLD Discussion
Question about smiter dueling tactics
Page 2 of 2 [25 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Dao Jones

BNet Acct/Realm: *Dao_Jones, Bi-Realmsual.
33.66 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:21 pm    Post subject:  

VoicesLLD wrote:
dao is ladder west. Wink

Still, that was an incredibly fricken' generous offer. Thanks! Shocked

At any rate, this has left me with a lot to ponder. Without access to quantites of life charms, I'm always going to be suffering from a lack of adequate health. So, if I'm going to make a melee build that will last more than a few seconds against a zealot or sorc, I'm going to need very good damage reduction and resists, as well as plenty of FHR and low Str req's to be able to pump Vitality. So, maybe rather than spend days trading for life charms (which, unfortunately for me, I'm loathe to do), I need to come up with a less optimal (but still functional) item set that will combine both the needs of the build with my own item limitations. Maybe I could go:

Helm: Rockstopper (great resists, +15 Vit, 10% DR, 30% FHR)
Armor: Rattlecage (25% CB, and with a -15% req it only needs 60 Str)
Weap: Black (15% IAS, 40% CB, +10 Vit)
Shield: Barbed with "Rhyme" (CBF, +20% ICB, 40% FBR, +25 Resists)
Gloves: Bloodfists (10% IAS, 30% FHR, +40 Life)
Belt: String of Ears (15% DR)
(I could go Death's Gloves and Belt for CBF, 20% more IAS, +15 Resist All, and a bunch of poison resist. Would this be more valuable than 15% DR? I could also go back to the Swordback for the 50% OW.)
Boots: Goblin Toe (25% CB)

With this set-up, I'd have 25% Damage Reduction, decent resists, 60% FHR (5 frame), 90% Crushing Blow, 25% IAS, and at least +115 Life from gear. My highest Strength requirement would be my shield (65), which (barring other charms and jewelry) only requires 40 points spent. Conservatively estimating my pre-buff for Holy Shield at +4 skills (for a total of 16 HS), I'll need 71 Dex to hit max block, or 51 points spent. That leaves me a total of 84 points to spend on Vitality, which (combined with + Life from gear) gives me a Life total of 510. Still friggin' terrible, but with 25% DR and maxed Resists I might last long enough to stun-lock 'em with Smite. With 7 Fanaticism, 6 frame Smite needs 50% IAS, which means I need two IAS jewels somewhere... which I don't have room for. Suppose I could dump five more points into Strength, and swap the -15% req jewel for an IAS jewel in the Rattle.

God damn, this is making my head hurt. Maybe I should just suck it up and trade for life charms...

The New LLD101 splash page (Props to Shieron)
Jerkazoid

BNet Acct/Realm: wscl
4.86 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:50 pm    Post subject:  

"I need to come up with a less optimal..."

hmmm, i would regret putting effort into making the dueler and the gear just bc "atm" you lack ife charms.

if u plan ahead just a bit realize that life charms in lld is pretty standard.. just as standard as the suggestions we give you

id start collecting 12-15 life sc's.... your gonna end up finding them eventually and amasing them... might as well plan for the smiter to have the extra 400-600 life rather then make it less optimal just to have right away

i colleceted 40 sc's in ladder (and i totaly slacked off this season)... i get about two 15life sc's for 1 lum.

edit: and by slacking-off i mean i was busy at work, or dueling, rather then ladder playing.

Dao Jones

33.66 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:53 pm    Post subject:  

Jerkazoid wrote:
i colleceted 40 sc's in ladder (and i totaly slacked off this season)... i get about two 15life sc's for 1 lum.

That's all they freakin' cost? 1 Lum / 2 15 lifers? Holy crap. I was under the impression they were harder to get than 15 max jewels... (speaking of which, some guy tried to trade me a 15 maxer for Pul today. Greedy putz.)

If that's a reasonable expectation for cost then getting life charms would be easier than I thought. I guess I'll *sigh* hit the trades. Because, you're right - I don't want to plan a sub-optimal build. I just didn't want to spend days mf'ing or trading (because I don't particularly like either).

Thanks. Got any lifers you wanna trade? I got plenty of runes. Very Happy

VoicesLLD

BNet Acct/Realm: Recovering WoW addict.
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:00 am    Post subject:  

Dao Jones wrote:

make a trade thread, dont trade in the discussion forums Wink

Dao Jones

33.66 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:21 am    Post subject:  

VoicesLLD wrote:
Dao Jones wrote:

make a trade thread, dont trade in the discussion forums Wink

Sorry! I was being facetious. I wasn't actually meaning to ask for a trade. More commenting on Jerkazoid's cheap 15 lifers, and his seeming surplus of 'em.

Jerkazoid

4.86 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:19 am    Post subject:  

just remeber thats ladder pricing..

the lum rune has a fair value on ladder, on NL its all crap untill u get to Um. wich reminds me.. i better sell off that pul+lem 2kos and 6 lums before ladder resets...

Dao Jones

33.66 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:54 am    Post subject:  

Jerkazoid wrote:
the lum rune has a fair value on ladder

Really? We must travel in different circles (or different realms). On USWest a Lum and 3 bucks will buy you a cup of coffee. (A guy with a 13 lifer tried to get me to give him my Highlord's Wrath ammy for it. Highlord's = Fal - Lem, last time I checked.) Maybe I should just hire you to get charms for me, and pay you a commission... (but that's a subject for a PM)

Anyway, back to the Smiter. Assuming I can get life charms, is it a given that it's worth the effort to gain the strength to wear Guillaume's helm? If I used Rockstopper (or something else) and went Rattlecage + Death's stuff I'd still have 90% CB, CBF, and 20% more IAS then with Bloodfists. All I'd really be losing is 10% CB, 5% DR (if I used 10% from Rockstopper), and +1 skill from the Spirit Shroud. In return I'd save a huge amount on Strength, and have better resistances to boot. And I could still use all the other stuff recommended in the more optimal builds.

Phyre

BNet Acct/Realm: US East Ladder SC
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:03 pm    Post subject:  

You could try the diabloii.net trade forums, since most of them aren't llders they don't really understand the value of 15 lifers. They simply see them as inferior 20 lifers so they will sell them fairly cheaply. If someone asks for more than a Lem or so, they're really overpricing so just move on to the next person.
Arcane Killer

BNet Acct/Realm: East HCL
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 5:23 pm    Post subject:  

on the rattle cage: might it be better to use an artisans armor of the squid with 3x prubies? that could give you up to 194 life. youd lose the 40 cb but if you used the orphan helm and black youd still have 75 cb. plus the extra 200 life would help you last longer so you could give out more hits, perhaps equaling out the fact that 25% less of them crush? ive never played a smiter before so i could be completely full of shit, so disregard this whole post if i am X)
Jerkazoid

4.86 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:18 pm    Post subject:  

Dao Jones wrote:
it's worth the effort to gain the strength to wear Guillaume's helm?
hmm

so rattlecage + deaths combo fin exchange for 1skill and 5%dr.. seems totally worth it

u loose an azz load of fhr though?( not that u really need it imo). i think your getting the idea.

Page 2 of 2 [25 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
 Forum index » Diablo 2 Discussion Section » LLD Discussion
Jump to: