LLD101 Forum Index LLD101
Low Level Dueling in 1.12

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun Jun 16, 2024 4:58 am
All times are UTC - 8
 Forum index » Off-Topic Section » Off-Topic Discussion
gun control
Page 2 of 3 [43 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
Meegz ?

BNet Acct/Realm: *meegz @ east ladder
39.74 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject:  

Ubermoose, I can go into a common household kitchen and make a bomb from what I find in there, more likely than not. You just need to know a little chemistry. Also, I can think of so many places within a half hour from where I am sitting that I could go break into and get out with multiple guns and ammo before the cops showed up. There isn't a 3 day waiting period on that, either. And if I had the cash I know a couple gun shops who know me well enough that I could walk in, give em cash, and walk out with my pick of w/e was in the place, no matter how illegal it was. Cash ain't traceable, and neither is the gun once I file the serial number.

I love my guns. I will not ever give them up. I enjoy shooting them, and hunting with them. I was raised around guns, I was shooting competition when I was six years old, and I had shot more automatic weapons by the time I was ten then most people see throughout their lives. I know my stuff. And I agree with a certain degree of gun control. I understand that someone can go out and obtain a gun illegally, and that hurts because they are giving anti-gun legislation more ammo to use against me. I think there should be much harsher penalties for breaking laws concerning firearms. I also have no problem waiting 3-7 days for my background check and pistol permit to be checked before I can purchase a handgun, as I believe this is a worthwhile safeguard to stop someone from getting drunk or high or pissed off and deciding to go buy a gun and kill somone.

Get rid of guns- no, but gun control to an extent- yes. I'd have to get into different aspects of it, and it would be a long and drawn out discussion if you wanted to hear my whole side of it. But thats the general idea from my side.

Note: If any of you remember the Clinton-era ban on magazines and clips with a capacity of more than 10 rounds, you might also remember how easy it was (albeit a lot more expensive) to get the pre-ban higher capacity magazines. Chances are any gun legislation would grandfather in pre-ban weapons to still be legal to buy and own, just no more of them could be produced and shipped in and sold from the date of signing.

Also, if anyone wants to hear my opinion on why the 10+ round ban was ignorant, let me know and I'll be glad to dredge that up again ><
(yes, I'm still sore about that)

Napalm loves the little children of the world.
Mimes

BNet Acct/Realm: e/sc/l Mimes., Mimes-LLD, Justin27 and 1338
34.96 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject:  

this is kinda unrelated but if anyone watches Family Guy they had a sceen where the bill of rights was being made and they were like "everyone should have the right to bear arms." And there was like Bear Arms on the wall and i thought that was funny. but neways

like its already been said if someone wants a gun they can go get one.
If someone wants to kill someone, chances are they will. You can kill someone with a sock and a bunch of pennies if u wanted to.

I personaly think all guns should be destroyed and people should go back to using Swords and Axes. that would be way cooler Laughing
Meegz ?

39.74 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject:  

return of mimes wrote:
I personaly think all guns should be destroyed and people should go back to using Swords and Axes. that would be way cooler Laughing

much more honorable too imo Wink

Drum_Crazy

BNet Acct/Realm: *Drum_Crazy101 @ East SCNL
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject:  

Just as a fun thought to think about: In the state of PA where I live, basically all you need to obtian a concealed weapons permit (legally conceal and carry a pistol or other weapon) is to fill out a form, a driver's licence and to be over the age of 21. And unless you have a criminal record, in three weeks you will be able to pick up your permit. I have done some checking into this a few months back becuase I was thinking of buying a pistol. But in PA its also legal to carry a pistol in public as long as you are not trying to conceal it. So you dont have to get that permit to carry a weapon.

Don't know how this relates except to that it is not that hard in some states to carry weapons right now. I dont know VA law, but I think in PA atleast it is set up to allow people to carry out there 2nd amendment right.

But remember, I know in PA, and I bet for every state, carrying a weapon on any school grounds is illegal.

Dao Jones

BNet Acct/Realm: *Dao_Jones, Bi-Realmsual.
33.66 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject:  

Our problem in America has a lot less to do with guns as it does with society and education. We are less homogenous culturally than, say, Sweden, so we have more "cultural conflict" than them. We have greater imbalance between poverty and wealth as well. Guns don't kill people; social inequity kills people. How many gun related crimes are committed by the rich? The middle class? There will always be people like this nut that shot up VTech, but by and large look at who is killing who in the world, and you will see it is the poor killing the poor. (And the rich finance it and get richer.)

I say throw open the gates. Let everyone own any gun they want. But first, tax the holy hell out of gun ownership, and use the money to subsidize education, federal grants to low-income families, and rising health care costs. If you want to cut back on violent death in the world, reduce ignorance and poverty.

The New LLD101 splash page (Props to Shieron)
Meegz ?

39.74 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject:  

Drum_Crazy wrote:
Just as a fun thought to think about: In the state of PA where I live, basically all you need to obtian a concealed weapons permit (legally conceal and carry a pistol or other weapon) is to fill out a form, a driver's licence and to be over the age of 21. And unless you have a criminal record, in three weeks you will be able to pick up your permit. I have done some checking into this a few months back becuase I was thinking of buying a pistol. But in PA its also legal to carry a pistol in public as long as you are not trying to conceal it. So you dont have to get that permit to carry a weapon.

Don't know how this relates except to that it is not that hard in some states to carry weapons right now. I dont know VA law, but I think in PA atleast it is set up to allow people to carry out there 2nd amendment right.

But remember, I know in PA, and I bet for every state, carrying a weapon on any school grounds is illegal.

Here in Indiana its almost the same, except you have to have your CCP (concealed carry permit, aka pistol permit) to buy a handgun. And yes, it is illegal everywhere to have a gun on school property...and usually there is a zone around the school that you can't have one in either.

@ Dao- I understand the thought behind your idea, but I dislike the idea of a tax on something that is a constitutional right...Its more the principle of the idea that leaves a bitter taste than the idea itself, know what I mean?

Dao Jones

33.66 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:57 pm    Post subject:  

Meegz ? wrote:

@ Dao- I understand the thought behind your idea, but I dislike the idea of a tax on something that is a constitutional right...Its more the principle of the idea that leaves a bitter taste than the idea itself, know what I mean?

You used to be able to own black people, too. And only white, land-owning men could vote. Lots of stuff has changed since the Constitution was written. Why does the gun lobby think that the 2nd Amendment should be inviolate? Having an armed citizenry was a great idea up until WWI, because we didn't actually have a professional army. But frankly, no statistic you can show will prove that allowing every dumbfuck in the country access to a firearm will make us safer. Truth is, you could balance the number of stories where an armed citizen successfully and safely prevented a tragedy on the head of a pin, compared to the number of gun-related accidental fatalities you see in a year.

However, people want guns, and while I'm neither a fan of unrestrained weapon access nor a nanny-state government (despite my tax suggestion), it becomes increasingly clear that our current "awesome plans" fail miserably. Questions about gun control would be largely irrelevant if we didn't have rampant crime, and if we could tax one to help solve the other, I'm all for it.

Hades

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:26 am    Post subject:  

Only thing with high taxation on them is that it would encourage smuggling, which by the sound of it is rampant enough as it is.

But yeah more guns on the street for me is a stupid idea. The times I have seen when people do something stupid on the spurr of the momment. Like have an argument with a friend whilst drunk and punch them. Or any other sudden emotional action that later on you go whoa I so didn't mean to do that. But a bruise can heal and a friendship rebuilt, a pulled trigger is impossible to retract, death almost impossible to recover from. Sure even responsible law abiding citizens make mistakes, they are human too. It's just the conclusion/results would be alot worse if everyone had a gun.
EMP

BNet Acct/Realm: sequences (Ladder-USEast)
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:11 am    Post subject:  

To what extent do restrictions on gun ownership contradict the Constitution's guarentee of the "right to bear arms"?

Vixen

BNet Acct/Realm: The 'Big Apple'
7.76 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:50 am    Post subject:  

Mmm... we should just create two new catagories of people:

Moron: Only allowed to purchase a firearm after strict reeducation program run by local groups (not the government) and ten year crime-free waiting period.

Crazy Jerkoff: Only allowed to purchase a firearm after strict mental evalutation followed by a ten year waiting period (IN HELL). If they are able to obtain a gun from the afterlife.

"Vixen's also the name of a reindeer"
Meegz ?

39.74 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject:  

Lol..Dao, I used to be able to call you out for a duel since you just made me look like an idiot in public. Once all the correct channels were went through, if I killed you in said duel, I would not be punished. Now, stop using examples that were grossly flawed at the time of their making. The reason it was legal to own someone is because the Northern states needed the Southern states with them if they had any hope of succeeding in their secession from Britain. It's called a comprimise. Only white males being able to vote is on the same level of being able to own someone. Unless you were a white male landowner, you were owned by someone else. Your husband, your father, or the government.

Don't debate by offering examples on a completely different plane than those I am trying to discuss. It makes you look bad.

Dao Jones

33.66 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject:  

Meegz ? wrote:

Don't debate by offering examples on a completely different plane than those I am trying to discuss. It makes you look bad.

So, umm... by offering examples of "rules" that were once Constitutional rights made solely to appease a minority that no longer have any real use or bearing on modern society, and implying that the 2nd Amendment might be along a similar vein, I'm somehow "making you look like an idiot", and "making myself look bad"? I'll repost the salient point of my previous thread for your perusal:

Quote:
Having an armed citizenry was a great idea up until WWI, because we didn't actually have a professional army. But frankly, no statistic you can show will prove that allowing every dumbfuck in the country access to a firearm will make us safer. Truth is, you could balance the number of stories where an armed citizen successfully and safely prevented a tragedy on the head of a pin, compared to the number of gun-related accidental fatalities you see in a year.

Am I wrong? Don't be hostile simply because someone disagrees with your points.

Meegz ?

39.74 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject:  

I'm not being hostile, I'm doing the same things you were. If there were any perceived slight, I could challenge you to a duel and nothing would happen to either of us if the other were killed. I'm saying that there were some flaws, but the flaws that were there have been worked out pretty well (imo).

Couple things wrong with that 'salient point' of your arguement though. First, if we didn't have a 'professional army' up til WWI, what the hell did the fighting for us during the War of 1812, the Spanish-American War, and the biggest one, the Civil War? Did we use monkeys?

Also, one of the magazines you get for being a member of the NRA, American Rifleman I believe is the name (I don't subscribe because I dislike some of the ways they do things in the NRA) but anyways, in the first couple pages of each issue of that they have 1-3 pages filled with stories of people around the U.S. defending their homes from armed attackers with legally owned firearms. Now, I don't know how often someone accidentally shoots someone else, but I know its usually on the news. I don't see that on the Indianapolis news very often. Dunno how it is for the rest of the country, but here it doesnt seem to be too rampant of a problem.

dragonfire_god

BNet Acct/Realm: US East NL SC
2.22 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:23 pm    Post subject:  

Gah, I don't want to get involved in this simply because I am involved in several other forums with the same debate, I am all played out.

I do support guns and to me gun control is hitting your target, or the anti gun commie.

My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Its Not The Strong Who Survive But The Survivors Who Are Strong.

The insanity of my sin bodes within.
Grim04

BNet Acct/Realm: Grim04/UWNL
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject:  

Simpsons showed what happened when you take away all guns/weapons.

1: The dead became undead and took over the world.

2: Aliens came with slingshots and took back the world.

Both were countered by bringing back weapons. 1 was stopped by bringing back guns, the other was stopped by a board with a nail in it.
Page 2 of 3 [43 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
 Forum index » Off-Topic Section » Off-Topic Discussion
Jump to: