LLD101 Forum Index LLD101
Low Level Dueling in 1.12

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri May 31, 2024 2:00 am
All times are UTC - 8
 Forum index » Diablo 2 Discussion Section » General Discussion
Best HLDer
Page 3 of 4 [60 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
SoaringSquirrel

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:42 pm    Post subject:  

The very best BvC's tear even pure grief/exile smiters to pieces, and V/T's stand less of a chance. And if you're shift-smiting against any good BvC as a smiter, you're already screwed to begin with. All they have to do is time their triangle whirling correctly and you're finished. Even if the smiter knows how to duel against barbs, he's still at a disadvantage because the barb can kill him much faster than he can kill the barb, and if the barb is lazy, he can just grab a Doom axe and it's game over.

There is also no character that will "DESTROY" a hammerdin, either. They may have trouble with a very skilled bowzon, but you can easily overcome that by either equipping a grief or a doom and simply charging them and/or smiting them to death.

Other characters are versatile, and may be more effective towards specific characters, such as a wind druid against a CS zon, but overall, these two are the most versatile and flexible HLDs that can adapt to any given situation, as well as take care of themselves in public free for alls or gang-up situations.

Props to Mark Owens for the sig. My firstborn baby squirrel will be sacrificed in your honor. Wink
destructojoe

BNet Acct/Realm: destructojoe, destructojoe2, destructojoe3
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:42 pm    Post subject:  

Cancerofdabowel wrote:
Well.. are we taking BM into consideration? If we're talking BM(which I consider Doom to most certainly be), Life Tap wand on switch for the V/t. Let em stack/sorb the lightning. They're switching out killing power to deal with the Foh, making them less able to handle the smite.

As far as the hammerdin goes.. it depends on their playing style. I forgot to mention this. The hammerdins that tele on top of a v/t will never win. Shift-smite knocks them out of the way and no hammers will hit. If they desy charge, or run and let hammers off, the v/t's going to have problems.

I have assumed we are talking pub=bm. Even with the lifetap wand or even marrowalks any decent barb knows this becomes a range game. The v/t will have to be using grief in a pb to avoid the excess gear required to hit smite breakpoint. The bvc uses triangle ww on the v/t, now smiter, and the the v/t can't hit without being laid into. Sadly I know this tactic all too well cuz I've had it done to my smiter. Even if my life tap triggered (dracs) it just made the duel last 5 secs longer. I agree that the killing power and perhaps life will be reduced because the bvc is forced to nullify the foh, however I would THINK that a bvc would naturally have an extremely stacked res to deal with those godly blizz sorcs. But again, I've heard the opposite is true, wherein the v/t usually has the advantage in this fight.

I can't consider any hammerdin who teles on top of another char a decent dueler. This is an extremely uphill battle for the v/t (as it is for my smiter). The best method I've found is to position yourself in a house, or with a tree/bush on your right side and get a name lock to use charge, but only if the hammerdin is moving north or west. If you can get a hit/hits and stay locked your probably gonna get the kill but even under the best circumstances its probably only 50/50 that you will emerge alive after setting up the perfect namelock.

I seriously think my next hld build is hammer/smite (do they call this a Liberator/Libby?). Grief has just completely changed the playing field for pallys and barbs.

-Destructopalyjr (hammer hybrid)
-Destructofool (fire sorc)
ISO: life charms!!!!!
LiveChaldean

BNet Acct/Realm: livechaldean and deeks
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject:  

wat exactly is a V/T?? and how do you shift-smite and namelock?

ISO: permed sojs and HR's
destructojoe

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:37 pm    Post subject:  

LiveChaldean wrote:
wat exactly is a V/T?? and how do you shift-smite and namelock?

V/T=Vindicator Templar I believe

Rest of your questions are outside of this discussion.

destructojoe

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:40 pm    Post subject:  

SoaringSquirrel wrote:
The very best BvC's tear even pure grief/exile smiters to pieces, and V/T's stand less of a chance. And if you're shift-smiting against any good BvC as a smiter, you're already screwed to begin with. All they have to do is time their triangle whirling correctly and you're finished. Even if the smiter knows how to duel against barbs, he's still at a disadvantage because the barb can kill him much faster than he can kill the barb, and if the barb is lazy, he can just grab a Doom axe and it's game over.

There is also no character that will "DESTROY" a hammerdin, either. They may have trouble with a very skilled bowzon, but you can easily overcome that by either equipping a grief or a doom and simply charging them and/or smiting them to death.

Other characters are versatile, and may be more effective towards specific characters, such as a wind druid against a CS zon, but overall, these two are the most versatile and flexible HLDs that can adapt to any given situation, as well as take care of themselves in public free for alls or gang-up situations.

We really need to stop posting the same thing at the same time! Laughing Laughing

So you dont agree that the Windy should be ranked in the top 3 hld's?

Ehhh

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:50 pm    Post subject:  

destructojoe wrote:
Ehhh wrote:

And btw, 3.5k life pre-bo is a really high estimate...Well geared paladins with godly charms will get around 2.6k pre-bo.

Godly smiters hit 5k life PRE-bo. So 3.5k, while decent, is certainly not a high estimate for any pally using nigma.

Show me a screen of a pally that hits 5k life before bo. My lv94 BvA (could use a rebuild for torch) doesn't reach 3k life pre-bo. After rebuilding he probably would, but that's besides the point. That is using all max/ar/life charms. If you think a smiter can hit 5k life before bo you are really really wrong. A 5k life smiter before bo would have more life than a barb after BO, and we all know smiters don't have that much life.

So please, show me a screen of a paladin without BO, Oak or any other life boosting skill that has 5k life. In fact lets do some calcs:

This is a paladin with every single stat point into vit, all quests, lv99 and inventory filled with 20 stat torch, 20 stat anni, 37x 20 life scs.

lv1 paladin
55 Life
+2 Life/lvl x 98 = 196
55+196 = 251

lv99 gets 98 x 5 stats, 3 life/vit
490 stats x 3 life = 1470 + 251

15 stats from books x 3 = 45
60 life from pots
1721 + 45 + 60 = 1826

20 vit anni + 20 vit torch = 40 vit = 120 life
1826 + 120 = 1946

37 x 20 life sc = 740
1946 + 740 = 2686

Let's even put on a shako and enigma

2686 x 1.05 (+5% life on enigma) = 2820
+148 life at clvl99 from shako = 2820 + 148 = 2968

Hell let's throw on a maras, bloodfists, hoz, waterwalks, verdungos and 2x 40 life rings.

2686 + 65 + 40 + 40 + 40 = 2871 x 1.05 = 3014
+148 life = 3162
+5 vit (maras) + 20 vit (HoZ) + 40 vit (dungos) = 65 vit = 195 life
3162 + 195 = 3357

So wheres the extra 1.7k life coming from PRE-BO?

Also keep in mind that is with a lv99 with every single stat in vit, perfect items which a v/t might not necessarily use (40 life rings? probably rfrost + something else). V/Ts also use PCombats which lack the life scs have. A perfect pcombat +45 life has 15 less life than 3x 20 life scs. I also made the mistake of calculating in the vit from anni/torch into the +5% life calc, but I'm much too lazy to go fix it. If I missed anything let me know. I don't think I missed 1.7k life anywhere though.

Like I said, a very well geared v/t might have around 2.6k life. 3.5k isn't even possible with commonly used gear (as in no 4x jah 100 life armors, 3x jah 100 life tiaras, etc) and 5k is ridiculous.

V/Ts stand more of a chance against a BvC than a pure smiter imo. The FoH will force the barb to stack and probably lose AR from ravenfrosts and ds/ow from goreriders. FoH also works well with smite, because it stuns the barb and can interrupt attempts to teleport. FoH also forces the barb to keep on the offensive and keep his whirls short. There is more room for mistake on the offensive, and short whirls give the pally a better chance to smite the barb.

Of course, the barb can be extremely BM and be stacked with +max light res, fade prebuff and Doom. Then a V/T really has almost no chance.
kouky

BNet Acct/Realm: *kouky or *xxkoukyxx
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject:  

i don't think there is an ultimate high level dueler...the only ones i find to be slightly less efficient are...sorcs, as they can be sorbed pretty easily...cs zons are iffy, and sometimes pure ls trapsins that just spam mb. im going to be VERY general so don't flame me, but the rest of the classes do a pretty good job at what they do. paladins are solid with hammers that cant be sorbed/blocked,charge to desynch,smite,zeal,etc., barbs are massive tanks, druids are pretty versatile with cyclone, phy/cold dmg, summons to take hits,bowzons can be seriously dmging now with faith and everything else.
destructojoe

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject:  

Ehhh wrote:
destructojoe wrote:
Ehhh wrote:

And btw, 3.5k life pre-bo is a really high estimate...Well geared paladins with godly charms will get around 2.6k pre-bo.

Godly smiters hit 5k life PRE-bo. So 3.5k, while decent, is certainly not a high estimate for any pally using nigma.

Show me a screen of a pally that hits 5k life before bo. My lv94 BvA (could use a rebuild for torch) doesn't reach 3k life pre-bo. After rebuilding he probably would, but that's besides the point. That is using all max/ar/life charms. If you think a smiter can hit 5k life before bo you are really really wrong. A 5k life smiter before bo would have more life than a barb after BO, and we all know smiters don't have that much life.

So please, show me a screen of a paladin without BO, Oak or any other life boosting skill that has 5k life. In fact lets do some calcs:

This is a paladin with every single stat point into vit, all quests, lv99 and inventory filled with 20 stat torch, 20 stat anni, 37x 20 life scs.

lv1 paladin
55 Life
+2 Life/lvl x 98 = 196
55+196 = 251

lv99 gets 98 x 5 stats, 3 life/vit
490 stats x 3 life = 1470 + 251

15 stats from books x 3 = 45
60 life from pots
1721 + 45 + 60 = 1826

20 vit anni + 20 vit torch = 40 vit = 120 life
1826 + 120 = 1946

37 x 20 life sc = 740
1946 + 740 = 2686

Let's even put on a shako and enigma

2686 x 1.05 (+5% life on enigma) = 2820
+148 life at clvl99 from shako = 2820 + 148 = 2968

Hell let's throw on a maras, bloodfists, hoz, waterwalks, verdungos and 2x 40 life rings.

2686 + 65 + 40 + 40 + 40 = 2871 x 1.05 = 3014
+148 life = 3162
+5 vit (maras) + 20 vit (HoZ) + 40 vit (dungos) = 65 vit = 195 life
3162 + 195 = 3357

So wheres the extra 1.7k life coming from PRE-BO?

Also keep in mind that is with a lv99 with every single stat in vit, perfect items which a v/t might not necessarily use (40 life rings? probably rfrost + something else). V/Ts also use PCombats which lack the life scs have. A perfect pcombat +45 life has 15 less life than 3x 20 life scs. I also made the mistake of calculating in the vit from anni/torch into the +5% life calc, but I'm much too lazy to go fix it. If I missed anything let me know. I don't think I missed 1.7k life anywhere though.

Like I said, a very well geared v/t might have around 2.6k life. 3.5k isn't even possible with commonly used gear (as in no 4x jah 100 life armors, 3x jah 100 life tiaras, etc) and 5k is ridiculous.

V/Ts stand more of a chance against a BvC than a pure smiter imo. The FoH will force the barb to stack and probably lose AR from ravenfrosts and ds/ow from goreriders. FoH also works well with smite, because it stuns the barb and can interrupt attempts to teleport. FoH also forces the barb to keep on the offensive and keep his whirls short. There is more room for mistake on the offensive, and short whirls give the pally a better chance to smite the barb.

Of course, the barb can be extremely BM and be stacked with +max light res, fade prebuff and Doom. Then a V/T really has almost no chance.

Personally I dont have/have never had a pally with that much life (my pally doesnt hit 3k with bo but needs rebuild), however if you cruise over to d2jsp you will see that if your running around with less then a few k life then its a joke. Perhaps I'm mistaken on the pre-bo/bo numbers. But from my understanding 4.5 - 5k life is where you need to be and is achievable. This maybe because of the bo factor however. In a following post I've assumed that the pally has 4k life.

The barb doesnt need to tele at all. As mentioned in my post and in soarings post, the triangle whirl will keep the pally out of range of the barb while continuing to inflict damage on him. Although the barb has to absorb/stack (he should already be stacked) resistance, I dont think AR will suffer enough to make any difference, not to mention if the smiter moves he will rarely get close enough to connect to the barb.

I'd still like to see this matchup between two great duelers, but I still favor the barb to win with equal skill and neither side having budget restrictions.

Twisted-Prodigy
Victim of the BAN BLUDGEON

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject:  

5k life before b/o with out oak or bo, sounds a little bit sketchy but thats just my opinon..... i say 3.5k is decent, my pally is lvl 92 and yes he could use a rebuild and have 4k life easly with b/o.... but not even 5k life with b/o.....

i can probably get 5k life with oak and b/o yes. but not with out that......

lmao, i would like to see a screen shot of a character with 5k before b/o and no oak.....
Ehhh

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject:  

Perhaps when you heard that a pally should have 4k life, the person meant post-bo. If you're unsure, you shouldn't post such crazy things like you know for a fact Wink I don't even think a barb can hit 5k life pre-bo.

I agree that the barb should come out on top in a duel between two top duelers. If we're talking about two mediocre duelers with mediocre gear setups, then I would favor the v/t because it's fairly simple to use and doesn't require expensive duped rings/boots to remain effective against a barb.

With an unlimited budget and skill, I would have to say a BvC or BvA with same skill setup and max block would qualify as ultimate duelers. There is absolutely nothing that a BvC or BvA cannot kill. There are tough matchups, but I'd say they go at least 50/50 with any character. Something that can't be said about other characters.

Trappers can be absorbed.
WWSins lose to wwbarbs.
Wind druids are extremely susceptible to stunning characters like trappers and BvCs especially because of their slow cast rate.
Necros are weak to high absorb es sorcs, but are definitely up there in terms of overall goodness.
Sorcs can be absorbed and are also weak to stunning characters.
Hammerdins/Liberators are fairly well balanced when played well. Ranged attacks can give them trouble. Good barb will also be a tough matchup with widowmaker and desync ww.
V/Ts can't deal too well with minion stacking. High light res necs, wind druids are problems. Sorcs can be a problem.
T/Vs also can't deal with stacking necs and wind druids. They will do better against casters than V/Ts though.
Mages are pretty well balanced. Windies and light res stacked necs can be a problem though. Stacked barb will also be trouble, since it's like a weak hammerdin after foh is negated.
Zons in general have weaknesses up the wazoo.
WW barbs don't really have any serious weaknesses.

Don't think theres much else worthy of mention.
SoaringSquirrel

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject:  

Great minds think alike? Wink

Wind druids have always been a force to be reckoned with, especially if wielded by a quick player who can use delayed namelocks effectively, and now they're even faster, more efficient duelers with the 163 FCR BP. Still, they're not without weaknesses, as I've noticed BvC's, trappers, Ghost WWsins, and kickers with MB/trap stun give windies a tough time. A smart boner could also potentially give a wind druid problems, but so far I haven't met one who could take down the level 92 that I use every now and then.

I would certainly put wind druids below BvC's and Hammerdins overall, but I'm undecided as to whether or not they are the third best duelers because Ghosts and necros are both very versatile and adaptible as well, but they have far more weaknesses that they can't overcome as effectively as a hammerdin or BvC.

I'll have to mess around a bit more in HLD someday when I can get back online to make a more final decision, really.

Props to Mark Owens for the sig. My firstborn baby squirrel will be sacrificed in your honor. Wink
Mr.Snuggles

BNet Acct/Realm: North Carolina (Sadly)
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject:  

You all argue against how BvC's own V/T's but what about Libbys or Judi's? A BvC if he knows what he's doing can take down a V/T but he's going to have some trouble. I currently have a V/T on L and only lose to a good sorc, mostly because I have no FotH switch gear yet. I have yet to lose to a BvC (Faced a BM BvC using a eth 412ed BoTD ghost spear). He won once, I won 7 times. And I was pure GM, and this was before I had my Grief.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger 
Ehhh

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:58 pm    Post subject:  

BvCs do alright against libbys and judis as well, like I mentioned. Of course I'm not saying any of this is particularly easy, but I think a barb will win the majority of the time (assuming both are skilled duelers with good gear).

For the libby namelock teleporting on a wwbarb is usually a bad idea because the barb will ww. Desyncing works both ways in this duel. The ww barb can use widowmaker to get the hammerdin on the offensive and start doing short whirls if he expects the hammerdin to namelock tele or start a long desync whirl if he thinks the hammerdin will desync charge. Close duel, but I would put my bet on the barb.

By judi I assume you mean a hammer/foh (I use the term mage for this type). Once the bvc stacks against FoH, it's pretty much the same as dueling a hammerdin with weaker hammers. Pretty much the same tactics here, widowmaker + whirl randomly.

Let's keep in mind I'm talking about highly skilled duelers here. If we were talking about mediocre duelers, I would hold BvCs in lesser regard as a lot of them don't know what they're doing. I'm mostly talking about NL dueling too, because stacking against FoH without losing a lot of damage requires certain dupes.
Mr.Snuggles

BNet Acct/Realm: North Carolina (Sadly)
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:20 am    Post subject:  

Ehhh wrote:
BvCs do alright against libbys and judis as well, like I mentioned. Of course I'm not saying any of this is particularly easy, but I think a barb will win the majority of the time (assuming both are skilled duelers with good gear).

For the libby namelock teleporting on a wwbarb is usually a bad idea because the barb will ww. Desyncing works both ways in this duel. The ww barb can use widowmaker to get the hammerdin on the offensive and start doing short whirls if he expects the hammerdin to namelock tele or start a long desync whirl if he thinks the hammerdin will desync charge. Close duel, but I would put my bet on the barb.

By judi I assume you mean a hammer/foh (I use the term mage for this type). Once the bvc stacks against FoH, it's pretty much the same as dueling a hammerdin with weaker hammers. Pretty much the same tactics here, widowmaker + whirl randomly.

Let's keep in mind I'm talking about highly skilled duelers here. If we were talking about mediocre duelers, I would hold BvCs in lesser regard as a lot of them don't know what they're doing. I'm mostly talking about NL dueling too, because stacking against FoH without losing a lot of damage requires certain dupes.

Most Libby's use Fort for the ed/fcr/res, not Enigma. So most will desynch. Yes a Judi is FotH/Hammer, a Mage is a pure FotH Pally (If I'm not mistaken). Of course a Libby isn't going to use charge against a WW Barb, most will desynch around casting random hammers waiting for him to fall into one. It's quite easy to surround a Barb with hammers, and if he tele's around it's going to be very slow which easily leaves a chance for a quick hit with charge in and then charge away to cast more hammers.

As for the Judi, he would just have to duel as a normal hammerdin. He will have to sacrifice something to gain the extra needed resistance. Most I see just slap on a 4 P topaz'd Monarch, this means they are sacrificing damage. A Hammerdin still has a big edge over a WW barb even if he does use widow. If the Barb switches to widow just duel him like a Bowazon, hide behind tree's/corners and such. Eventualy he will either run out of arrows (If he even waits this long) or he will attack. Also most have horrable FHR so it's easy to hit with a hammer then tele away if they have the widow out.

I agree they would be close duels but I still feel fact both have 9k+ Hammers still means death to any melee type character.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger 
Wank

BNet Acct/Realm: Imp StormsRaider
57.98 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:55 am    Post subject:  

A good hybrid pally and bvc are best chars, w/o a doubt BvC bein the betterer, and the hybrid being #2.
Sorcs=Absorbable and Stackable
Ele Druids= Maybe #3
PnB= Boring Twisted Evil
Trappers= Lame Cool
CS zons= Sorbable and Stackable.
Bowers= Raped by charge smite and ww.
Any other off builds are just no match for a good, and expensive BvC and good hybrid pally.

Equipped Lvl 30's:
Froggy-Leap Attacker, Vidala- Bow, Starly-Wind, Haunter-Bonenec, Dragonair-Fissure, Vileplume-Psn Jav, Clefairy- Wc

http://img104.imagevenue.com/loc1100/th_30982_ImpAvatar_122_1100lo.jpg(didnt want to lose that link Surprised
Page 3 of 4 [60 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
 Forum index » Diablo 2 Discussion Section » General Discussion
Jump to: