LLD101 Forum Index LLD101
Low Level Dueling in 1.12

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:20 pm
All times are UTC - 8
 Forum index » LLD101 Forum Information Booth » Suggestion Box
White List
Page 4 of 5 [61 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
Bunny

BNet Acct/Realm: EBotD@USEast, BotD@USEast
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:46 pm    Post subject:  

forsaken wrote:
actually, a list of ppl u can call on to xfer might not be bad idea. while its true that almost no one on this forum would steal, there still are times when none of your friends are on, or no one can help u xfer

Must agree with this. Hate having to do the five minute thing.. never like having my items just sitting in a game

I'm just about always on 'cause I cant go outside or do many things, accounts *Bunny-LLD/*CutLink get the No-Friend-To-Xfer-You /w me, always willing to help. (If I'm trusted? )

Edit: woo! first post for the fourth page! Shocked

Dao Jones

BNet Acct/Realm: *Dao_Jones, Bi-Realmsual.
33.66 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:14 pm    Post subject:  

Let me just share a quick story as to how "lists" like these can go horribly wrong.

Many months ago, Blizzreaper (T_Maldo on here), asked me out of the blue to help him level up a new character he was making. I didn't actually know him too well at the time (mostly from posts on here, and a bit of dueling in-game), and I thought it was kind of odd that he was willing to trust someone that was effectively a stranger to him... but I offered to help as best I could. He pm'd me the account and password for the character and I logged on, expecting to find a new account with a non-permed new character.

Instead, this account had a few of his duelers, and the character he wanted me to level already had all of his end-game gear sitting in storage. I was still a fairly poor player at the time, so these items were runewords I hadn't even *seen* before, much less owned. It made me kind of uncomfortable to have access to that much valuable stuff, but as I'm not a thief, nor did I particularly want any of that stuff (since I had stopped playing higher level characters), I just moved on.

Some time later, after I had stopped helping him (and was taking a bit of a break from this site as well, so I didn't check in very frequently), I got a pm from Blizz: that account had been accessed and stripped, and he wanted to know if I had done it. Well, obviously I hadn't (and replied as much), but it occured to me that I would seem incredibly guilty, since I had the password, had not been on D2 lately, and wasn't visiting the site very much. I was worried that, for lack of a better culprit, this was going to get blamed on me, and possibly cause me some trouble in the LLD community as a whole.

Fortunately, Blizz believed me without hesitation, and I think he eventually found out who had ripped him off. But imagine he hadn't believed me? And imagine that the mods on LLD101 had previously said on some official LLD101 list that "Dao Jones is a trustworthy guy"? Now, even though I had in fact NOT ripped him off, it looked very much like I did, and not only my reputation, but possibly the reputation of the website would be at risk.

The point is, it's a bad idea to trust anyone other than yourself, and that includes making judgement calls when enlisting help for transfers. Leave it to the individual to decide who is worthy of their trust.

[Postscript: after viewing your avatar, your .sig, and your photobucket link, I do indeed "fear the cuteness". In fact, there was so much sugary cuteness contained in your post that I'm twitching slightly in hyperglycemic shock. I'm gonna have to gnaw on tree bark for a good hour while staring at pictures of british smiles just to counteract all the "cuteness" I've been exposed to. Bitter people like myself are just not equipped to handle stuff like that all at once.] Razz

The New LLD101 splash page (Props to Shieron)
wfg-dude

BNet Acct/Realm: Long Beach, CA
158.70 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject:  

Dao...Maldo is buddy ofmine too and I don't think he blames u. But this is not what we are talking about here. Giving passwords to friends is WAAAAAAAAAAY different from helping to xfer.

Personally, I ONLY xfer with proven friends or with the 5 minute rule.

I wondered why I hadn't seen him online in about 4 weeks...guess it all makes sense now. Strange that Bnet would notify someone of stealing tho...cuz how would they know...Hmmm. Me thinks that hackers are among us again...we better all be VERY careful!!!

Cool Sweet Justice IMHO!!!!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger 
ubermoose
LLD101 Staff

BNet Acct/Realm: Europe
3.49 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:53 am    Post subject:  

I think when he said Blizz, he meant Blizzreaper [t-maldo] and not Blizzard Entertainment
Bunny

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:07 am    Post subject:  

Dao Jones wrote:
Let me just share a quick story as to how "lists" like these can go horribly wrong.

Many months ago, Blizzreaper (T_Maldo on here), asked me out of the blue to help him level up a new character he was making. I didn't actually know him too well at the time (mostly from posts on here, and a bit of dueling in-game), and I thought it was kind of odd that he was willing to trust someone that was effectively a stranger to him... but I offered to help as best I could. He pm'd me the account and password for the character and I logged on, expecting to find a new account with a non-permed new character.

Instead, this account had a few of his duelers, and the character he wanted me to level already had all of his end-game gear sitting in storage. I was still a fairly poor player at the time, so these items were runewords I hadn't even *seen* before, much less owned. It made me kind of uncomfortable to have access to that much valuable stuff, but as I'm not a thief, nor did I particularly want any of that stuff (since I had stopped playing higher level characters), I just moved on.

Some time later, after I had stopped helping him (and was taking a bit of a break from this site as well, so I didn't check in very frequently), I got a pm from Blizz: that account had been accessed and stripped, and he wanted to know if I had done it. Well, obviously I hadn't (and replied as much), but it occured to me that I would seem incredibly guilty, since I had the password, had not been on D2 lately, and wasn't visiting the site very much. I was worried that, for lack of a better culprit, this was going to get blamed on me, and possibly cause me some trouble in the LLD community as a whole.

Fortunately, Blizz believed me without hesitation, and I think he eventually found out who had ripped him off. But imagine he hadn't believed me? And imagine that the mods on LLD101 had previously said on some official LLD101 list that "Dao Jones is a trustworthy guy"? Now, even though I had in fact NOT ripped him off, it looked very much like I did, and not only my reputation, but possibly the reputation of the website would be at risk.

The point is, it's a bad idea to trust anyone other than yourself, and that includes making judgement calls when enlisting help for transfers. Leave it to the individual to decide who is worthy of their trust.

[Postscript: after viewing your avatar, your .sig, and your photobucket link, I do indeed "fear the cuteness". In fact, there was so much sugary cuteness contained in your post that I'm twitching slightly in hyperglycemic shock. I'm gonna have to gnaw on tree bark for a good hour while staring at pictures of british smiles just to counteract all the "cuteness" I've been exposed to. Bitter people like myself are just not equipped to handle stuff like that all at once.] Razz

You probably are trust worthy considering your post count for one, and the possible reputation on these forums/Battle.net. So I believe you didn't do it o.O

Can give a few things to show I am trust worthy, but it is still up to the person's view of trust on it.
1; *KeiFox old friend on D2.. hell he was on my flist before I started.. anyway can whisper him about "lilly" or kates sister for info blah blah.
Or E-mail: Bunneh91@hotmail.com,
Accounts: *Bunny-LLD, *Shael@Azeroth, *CutLink ect.. works in my view of it o.O

And ty (I think?) for the comment lol.

Dao Jones

BNet Acct/Realm: *Dao_Jones, Bi-Realmsual.
33.66 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:03 am    Post subject:  

wfg-dude wrote:
Dao...Maldo is buddy ofmine too and I don't think he blames u. But this is not what we are talking about here. Giving passwords to friends is WAAAAAAAAAAY different from helping to xfer.

The point wasn't about giving people passwords, and I know Blizz knows I didn't do it. The point was to illustrate how even the best of intentions can go wrong, and how it could come back to bite the site on its ass. Imagine it this way, then (if you need a more relevant example):

So, Bunny here is looking for someone to help her x-fer, and she clicks on the "Official LLD101 White List", and right up there she sees "Dao Jones", as an example of someone vouched for by the mods. Well, she's seen me post, decides I'm trustworthy, and happens to notice that I'm online when she needs the help. She asks, I agree, and she makes the game "bunny / cute", and starts her transfers while I camp in town.

Well, I decide to go afk to make a sandwich, and while I'm gone and she's swapping accounts someone guesses the password to this game. Maybe it's random chance, maybe the person knows and hates her, whatever. (I've actually seen this happen, as I know many of you have as well.)

She's gone, and I'm afk, so this intruder just starts picking up everything he can grab, then bails on the game a few seconds later. Bunny comes back in, sees her stuff gone, and wants to know what happened. As far as she knows, I just stole her stuff.

Now, certainly she might believe me when I tell her someone else must have come in when I was gone (I could even email her a screenshot of the message screen showing the intruder's entrance/exit), but what if she decides that I whispered that other person, and that he was a friend of mine? What if she decides I'm lying? (Not that she would, per se, but she might.) So she comes here and says "DAO JONES STOLE MY STUFF!"

Suddenly, it gets ugly. I say no, she says yes. Normally, this wouldn't go past personal accusation. She'd blame me, and never trust me again, but that's where it would end. Now, what if my name is right up on a list endorsed by LLD101? Do the mods have to remove it because of the accusation? Do they have to investigate it? Do they have to take sides and decide who is right or wrong? It could get very unpleasant.

So, the point is: just decide who you want to trust. I know who I'd trust on here, and there are many people who would trust me. (The suckers!! Twisted Evil ) (Oh! Wait! I mean... "and I appreciate your trust and respect and will do my best to honor it"... Mr. Green )

A list just invites more trouble than it solves.

The New LLD101 splash page (Props to Shieron)
Bunny

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:02 am    Post subject:  

Meh.. wouldn't happen in my situation, though. I normally am more than nice to people, enimies aren't a good thing.. usually :x

And yes I know it was just an example >.>

Captain Crunch

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject:  

Bunny wrote:
You probably are trust worthy considering your post count for one, and the possible reputation on these forums/Battle.net. So I believe you didn't do it o.O

post count is no measure of how trustworthy someone is. there are several ppl here who have higher post counts taht i wouldnt trust with a few pgems...

You're a stupid thread.

blizz99

BNet Acct/Realm: US East, Classic
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject:  

forsaken wrote:
Bunny wrote:

post count is no measure of how trustworthy someone is. there are several ppl here who have higher post counts taht i wouldnt trust with a few pgems...

i agree with forsaken... Post counts doesn't mean everything. Well, look at my counts... low, but im trust worthy~ Wink
Captain Crunch

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:37 pm    Post subject:  

lol...and i also wouldnt trust anyone with a low post count unless they were someone i knew and convinced them to join the site.
You're a stupid thread.

Bunny

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject:  

forsaken wrote:
Bunny wrote:

Possibility of post count measure would be; Time spent on site, or devotion to it. Therefore, dont wanna be ban and would rather be trusted than.. not trusted, lol. So there is a possibility even if a small one based on a post count. ;x

Belarathon

BNet Acct/Realm: east nl
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject:  

I have a high post count and I would steal from anyone on this site given the chance, exclusively B[x], because he turned down my prom invite
blizz99

BNet Acct/Realm: US East, Classic
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject:  

Belarathon wrote:
I have a high post count and I would steal from anyone on this site given the chance, exclusively B[x], because he turned down my prom invite

Laughing Laughing B[x] was slain by Belarathon

Well that explains post counts doesn't "count" Wink
B[x]

BNet Acct/Realm: Retired
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject:  

Belarathon wrote:

Sorry, that apple eating video of yours turned me off from you.

[Important Links]
ATOMICMAN
Official LLD101 Drunkard

BNet Acct/Realm: *ATOMICMAN-LLD USEastNL Retired
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject:  

B[x] wrote:
Belarathon wrote:

Sorry, that apple eating video of yours turned me off from you.

i took him to prom Crying or Very sad

I am the bullet in the gun
I am the truth from which you run
I am a silencing machine
I am the end of all your dreams...
Page 4 of 5 [61 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
 Forum index » LLD101 Forum Information Booth » Suggestion Box
Jump to: