LLD101 Forum Index LLD101
Low Level Dueling in 1.12

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:42 am
All times are UTC - 8
 Forum index » LLD101 Forum Information Booth » Suggestion Box
White List
Page 3 of 5 [61 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
pwned.nl
Victim of the BAN BLUDGEON

BNet Acct/Realm: us east / *pandaeater / 1
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:40 pm    Post subject:  

i think most people on the forums r honest enough. I mean when you trade every1 lets you xfer. I have never gotten beat off this forum. I think we r all honest folk Smile

Captain Crunch

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:13 am    Post subject:  

people may seem honest enough, but experience tells me not everyone is who they seem to be. ive had things stolen by people i thought were very good friends, people ive known for 4 years across several other games besides d2.

u just can never tell what may happen if u drop several valuable things at once. someone who seems honest may have been just waiting to steal a big haul of items

You're a stupid thread.

Belarathon

BNet Acct/Realm: east nl
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:11 pm    Post subject:  

forsaken wrote:
i think most ppl will find it hard to believe that knarl ever stole anything. ive never even met knarl, but he gives off the impression of being an honest person

Well believe it, and the last part of your message is exactly the reason why he stole seomthing from me! He stole my heart Embarassed Don't tell his girlfriend.
Spazz
Victim of the BAN BLUDGEON

BNet Acct/Realm: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada.
0.15 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:20 pm    Post subject:  

Cough. I'm still missing 2x 24 max jewels if I remember correctly.

Account: -=-Spazz-=-
Realm: USEast
Characters:
Carousel - 57 Trap Assassin MLD

T_Maldo

BNet Acct/Realm: USA. Cal
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject:  

Well, if this does come to happen I probably wont be around to tell the people i nominate...

so here is my two picks:

#1 Jerkazoid
#2 Dao Jones
VoicesLLD

BNet Acct/Realm: Recovering WoW addict.
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject:  

dont bother posting people you nominate. the entire point of a white list would be for them to be judged by the mods/admin of their realm, to see if they are worth adding. having a friend nominate you, slightly defeats the purpose. friends are biased, and friends lie for friends.

xxkarnagexx

BNet Acct/Realm: Useast
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 8:41 pm    Post subject:  

I have this typed on our sticky on battle.net forums and i think it fits this forum too...

Quote:
These are people that are widely recognized as being trustworthy on this forum. If you need an xfer or a trade mod for an anni or gheeds trade these people will help, although they are not required to. This is not a foolproof system, however it is alot better than using some random person in the game.
Arcane[hoh]

BNet Acct/Realm: USeast - KY
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:46 pm    Post subject:  

yeah it goes w/o saying that probably 95% of the people on this site are trustworthy. this is the only forum i know of where members won't even think twice about drop trading(throw what your trading on the ground, wait for other person to do the same), or mule trading(put item on a temp mule\acc, give other member the pw, they take your item and put there item on it) and pretty much anyone will stick around for a few after a trade if you need to xfer anything. i've borrowed items from people to see how they changed my stats, promising to give them back(and i did, mind you), ive held onto things for xfers, ive even had to grab some a crapload of certain members items and hold onto them for a while after they've been dropped from a game or have recieved realm down status from logging on\off too quickly.

simply put, other than new members whom i know nothing about, i trust nearly everyone on this site with such matters, and really i think the only purpose such a "white list" would serve would be to let newer members know who the more established members(i.e. more trustworthy) are, pointing them in the right direction of a safe xfer. i pretty much do the same thing as looking in a "white list" thread....when in need i check the dueling threads where char names\acc names are listed and go through the names until i find someone who is on, skipping names i dont know(or rarely, distrust).

all in all its a good idea, but with such a small community, i dont feel it's needed.

ISO:
ethereal swordback(prefferably with full durability)
eth\repair rare crown\great helm, 120+def with life\fhr\res\2sockets
13+life\def(4-8 def only, lvl 17) scs'

paying in currencies
Guardian

BNet Acct/Realm: Australia
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 2:57 pm    Post subject:  

Well 3 People i would gladly vote without a second thought is Fuh, Dao_Jones & Soltarje.
VoicesLLD

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 3:27 pm    Post subject:  

Guardian wrote:
Well 3 People i would gladly vote without a second thought is Fuh, Dao_Jones & Soltarje.

VoicesLLD wrote:
dont bother posting people you nominate. the entire point of a white list would be for them to be judged by the mods/admin of their realm, to see if they are worth adding. having a friend nominate you, slightly defeats the purpose. friends are biased, and friends lie for friends.

Dao Jones

BNet Acct/Realm: *Dao_Jones, Bi-Realmsual.
33.66 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 6:04 pm    Post subject:  

While I appreciate having twice been "nominated" as being a trustworthy guy by people here, I am somewhat against the whole idea of a "White List" in the first place. There are way too many problems that such a list would create, namely:

- People annoyed they are not on the list, and thinking it is an attack on their character,
- People who think someone else should not be on the list, and demand their removal
- People who assume that such a list implies that the named person is 100% trustworthy without fail, and get taken advantage of by said person or someone posing as that person (remember: some people here share accounts)

I envision mods getting swamped with arguments, complaints, threats, pleadings, etc; and for what? A subjective list implying trustworthiness as designated by a mod here? It just sounds like it's asking for trouble, for both mods, and traders.

So look, do this instead: decide for yourself if you trust a given player here. If someone is offering a trade, read their posts around here, and judge their character in your own mind. Or, assume the best of people on here, and accept that sometimes good people do bad things. But here's my take on it: these are not the b.net forums. 90% or more of the people I've met from this site are reasonable, decent individuals who came here to get away from dishonest people on b.net. Remember: lld101 (and previous incarnations) was created in response to disgust with the general trading community and their abuse of hacks, dupes and cheats. People that come here and play our style agree, among other things, to:

- Not dupe
- Not hack (excluding occasional map hack users)
- Play characters that are considerably disadvantaged compared to other pub duelers (sorcs without teleport, necros without prison, trappers without mind blast, etc)
- Not hell rush, which is otherwise a given in pub dueling

People that are willing to do all of these things are not generally what I would consider the kind of person that would turn around and screw someone over. Having said that, however, I make sure to judge them before I trade with them, and I sure as *hell* don't drop trade until I've seen enough of their posts on here to get a rough estimate of their maturity level.

I've traded with many members of this site: Voices, Fuh, Chewie, DDRFreak, T_Maldo, Ehhh, Lpb, etc; and every trade has been a pleasant experience, and they're all trustworthy in my mind. Would I recommend them to you, the casual lld101 reader, to trade with?

No.

Why? Because they're untrustworthy? No. Because I can't judge how they would deal with you. Their trades with me were fine; maybe they like me, or respect me, or fear me, or consider me beneath their consideration; but I couldn't say how they would deal with every person they encountered. Maybe if they didn't respect you they'd rob your ass blind. I don't want that on my conscience.

So, in summary (pardon the rambling), judge for yourself if you trust someone to mod or trade with. Failing that, PM someone you do trust, and ask their opinion. Failing that, well... you probably have trust issues. Rolling Eyes

The New LLD101 splash page (Props to Shieron)
ATOMICMAN
Official LLD101 Drunkard

BNet Acct/Realm: *ATOMICMAN-LLD USEastNL Retired
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject:  

there are some very very easy rules for this

dont xfer with someone you dont know/trust, and be sure its who they say they are (ie do /whois or ask them something personal they would only know)
dont xfer stuff you cant afford to lose in plain view of others (hide it if you have to) or if you can xfer in your own game (wait 10 min blah blah blah)
dont submit to trust tests
dont give out your passwords period, unless you can afford to lose the stuff on your account
dont lend out what you cant afford to lose
do not use the same passwords for all your accounts
do not use plain words as a password always, and i mean always back it up with numbers
do not download hacks/progs (unless its from a trusted site, not the ones spammed in the channels)

its very easy to follow this... anything contrary to this is putting you at risk.

but even so i think a list of the more trustworthy peeps is in order with accounts and such, cuz some poor old noobie needs an xfer and dont have any friends doesnt need to suffer =(

I am the bullet in the gun
I am the truth from which you run
I am a silencing machine
I am the end of all your dreams...
VoicesLLD

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject:  

ATOMICMAN wrote:

but even so i think a list of the more trustworthy peeps is in order with accounts and such, cuz some poor old noobie needs an xfer and dont have any friends doesnt need to suffer =(

good idea. how about we make you the official transferman for east? whenever someone needs a transfer, theyll whisper you and youll come running. Laughing Wink

ATOMICMAN
Official LLD101 Drunkard

BNet Acct/Realm: *ATOMICMAN-LLD USEastNL Retired
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject:  

lol im usually afk in my games so it wouldnt be hard to sneak in and out Laughing

I am the bullet in the gun
I am the truth from which you run
I am a silencing machine
I am the end of all your dreams...
wfg-dude

BNet Acct/Realm: Long Beach, CA
158.70 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:04 am    Post subject:  

I think most of us have been playing for so long that we have plenty of friends that "pass the test" for xfer. We also know about the 5minute rule.

The only time this has been an issue for me is a time I got r/d and lost some decent stuff... I desperately tried to get someone here to go get it...even if they kept it, I'd rather that than Blizz eating it! Laughing

Didn't work out though because it took too long for emails to get to the person and by the time he logged on ... game was closed out...gone forever! Crying or Very sad

We all have our own "white" list in our head of ppl that can be trusted and the list grows daily.

I also think that a list like that would do two things that Voices eluded to in his joke to atomicman:
1. Moderators would most likely be the first few candidates and they would NEVER have time to play if every 5 seconds someone was spamming them to "come help me xfer plz". Can you imagine the green spam racing across the screen all day long from all the members with their account name listed...OMG!
2. The list may offend some ppl. All the disclaimers in the world won't stop someone from feeling bad and potentially...being seduced by the "darkside of the force" and stealing just because they were offended by not being on "The List". Laughing

Good idea in theory...Bad idea in reality. Moderators already work their ass off for us just keeping this site going...I can't imagine their lives having to help us xfer as well. And you K N O W ppl aren't just going to xfer quickly and leave...cuz then comes questions, and endless babble about w/e...OMFG...the lives of moderators would SUCK! They would probably all quit or start new accounts! Laughing

If your mf'er gets full and no one can help u xfer...play another character...your life is not over cuz u can't xfer! This is not life or death and like Dao_Jones said if anyone from "The List" ever went rogue.. like the idiot I read about that hacked ppl's accts...it would reflect badly on the moderators (irregardless of all the disclaimers you post).
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger 
Page 3 of 5 [61 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
 Forum index » LLD101 Forum Information Booth » Suggestion Box
Jump to: