LLD101 Forum Index LLD101
Low Level Dueling in 1.12

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri May 31, 2024 9:42 am
All times are UTC - 8
 Forum index » Diablo 2 Discussion Section » LLD Discussion
Jewel socketing question and a thank you!
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]  
Dao Jones

BNet Acct/Realm: *Dao_Jones, Bi-Realmsual.
33.66 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:26 pm    Post subject:  Jewel socketing question and a thank you!  

So I've finally gotten all my damn 15 maxers for my jabber, and I'm now hunting for a 3 sock mask to stick 'em in (or waiting for a high ilvl mask to socket via the cube receipe...)

But anyway, the question: as I was making my trades, someone offered me (in lieu of a 15) a jewel with +14 max damage and +9% ED. Should I use this jewel in place of a 15 max? Is it basically the same? I've read up on how damage is calculated, but to be honest I'm pretty bad at math (Theatre B.A.), so I'm not sure if 9% ED > +1 max damage. Maybe it's circumstantial? At the rate I'm piling up max damage jewels, I may make a zealot to keep my jabber company, so maybe I should save it for him, since my 'zon's war javs already have +85%ED built into 'em... anyway, your thoughts are appreciated.

On a completely unrelated note: I'd like to formally thank you all for this site. I have to admit, coming on here was a little daunting because you all were sitting around talking about "inventories full of life charms", and "expensive LLD gear for builds". And I'll admit I almost gave up on it for fear I'd just be making some inferior dueler that would get squashed on my first outing. But you know what? Losely inspiring my jabber on MysticFalcon's guide, and using charms I already had, my 'zon has literally wiped the floor in the pubs! It's a pretty awesome ego boost, I gotta tell ya. Hearing duelers 10, 20, even 40 levels higher than me say "holy sh*t your 'zon rocks" as they collect their corpses is a hell of an experience. And she ain't even done yet! Anyway, much of my success comes from reading all the great info posted here, so I just wanted to send a shout out to all of you for helping me find a new way to enjoy this game. (And whomp on dumbass pub game players.) Very Happy

The New LLD101 splash page (Props to Shieron)
OSA

BNet Acct/Realm: O-S-A on East NL
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:40 pm    Post subject:  

Hmm. I think.. THINK the Ed% on that jewel would only effect the minimum damage. I can't remember where I read it. Somewhere on here.
It went somthing like this
Ed%/Max item-- Ed affects minium damage only.
Ed%/Min item-- Ed affects Maxuim damage only.
Ed%/Min/max item-- Ed has no affect wat so ever.
So aslong as you don't mix in a min jewel with that one, you should gain just as much damage as you would with a +15. Atleast I don't think there would be much of a differance.

B[x] wrote:
Yeah, I'd nominate Andy for 101's Best Hair award if we had it. I loved running my fingers through it while visiting him.

just shdw

BNet Acct/Realm: US WEST [NL]
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:44 pm    Post subject:  

this has to do with the enhanced damage bug on jewels.
say a helm has 3 jewels in it and does these mods 8 - 24 dmg 23% ed.
the ed would do nothing.

if the helm had these mods 29 max dmg 12% ed the ed would only work on the minimum damage.

if the helm had these mods 16 minimum damage 27% ed the ed would add to the maximum damage.

the numbers dont affect it but you it shouldnt be that hard to understand i hope.
i'm glad you ill well in pubbies but in pubbies you cant come close to comparing people with real low lvl duelers who really know what there doing. i hope this helped Razz
Dao Jones

33.66 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 12:03 am    Post subject:  

So, let me make sure I have this clear:

1) "enhanced damage" bonuses are bugged. I'm a little confused as to how this works. I understand the inverse application of effect based on other relevant mods in an item, but what if a helm was (for example), stuffed with all ed% jewels? doesn't ed% apply to all sources of damage on gear? Or does it just apply to whatever mods that specific item with said jewel in it might carry?

2) Regardless of answer #1, I'm either looking at a +45 max damage mask, or a +44 max damage, +9%ed mask. If I use the jewel with the ed% mod (according to what I understand you're saying), this would make the effect of the jewel only work on my minimum damage, yes? That doesn't sound like such a bad idea, since I'm only losing one max damage for raising up my minimum damage a bit.

shdw_DeathAdder wrote:
i'm glad you ill well in pubbies but in pubbies you cant come close to comparing people with real low lvl duelers who really know what there doing.

Yup. I know. I've crossed paths with both CancerofdaBowel and Spokkerman, and both beat me soundly. But that's okay! There are relatively few of you, and very, very many of "them" out there. Very Happy

VoicesLLD

BNet Acct/Realm: Recovering WoW addict.
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 12:45 am    Post subject:  

if the ED is on a jewel with another form of physical damage (max or min) it will be bugged in any item that isnt a weapon. if it is a strickly ED jewel (20%ED for example) it will apply to both min and max dmg.

as for which mask to use, its up to you. if you want the most possible max you can get, use the 45max. if you want to bring up your average damage a little bit, use the 44max/9ed. the 9%ed will apply to your min dmg, and boost it a little bit (unsure how much, as i dont know your damage) and will bring your min closer to your max, making your average spectrum tighter. ie: having 1-45 with the 45max, or 3-44 with the 44max/ed.

just shdw

BNet Acct/Realm: US WEST [NL]
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 12:47 am    Post subject:  

yea the 9% ed will only go towrds your minimum damage and if thats past 10 it will add more then 1 dmg so 44 max 9 ed is better.

if an item has ed besides your wepon i think it enhances the wepons final damage( not the wepons base dmg but the wepons actaul damage)
Dao Jones

33.66 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 1:32 am    Post subject:  

VoicesLLD wrote:
if the ED is on a jewel with another form of physical damage (max or min) it will be bugged in any item that isnt a weapon. if it is a strickly ED jewel (20%ED for example) it will apply to both min and max dmg.

I see... the bug lies specifically with the second mod on the jewel. I wasn't getting that. Welp, since I have this jewel, and I do want to boost my minimum damage (shame I'll lose out on the max boost), it sounds like the 14/9 is the way to go. I do about (without the new jeweled mask) 70-300 damage at the moment (not sure how much of that is charm damage, but very little is poison, and maybe only a third is elemental).

You know, now that I think about it, I have a 19%ed/+1 energy jewel laying around. Maybe I should toss that in the helm instead of a 15 maxer? Seems like (in theory) it would add about 10-14 minimum damage and 40-60 max damage, which, unless I have my math mistaken, is a heck of a lot better than 15 max damage. I could toss the 15's I don't use in the helm into my shield (which has a 12 and a 13 in there now.)

VoicesLLD

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 4:13 am    Post subject:  

i would not suggest mixing any jewel with ED with any max or min jewels. im pretty sure the ed bug is specific to item total mods, not jewel total. meaning if you put a 15 max and a 15 max and a 19% jewel, itll be the same as putting the 14 max/9ed. itll only add to min dmg.

Dao Jones

33.66 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 10:04 am    Post subject:  

VoicesLLD wrote:
i would not suggest mixing any jewel with ED with any max or min jewels. im pretty sure the ed bug is specific to item total mods, not jewel total. meaning if you put a 15 max and a 15 max and a 19% jewel, itll be the same as putting the 14 max/9ed. itll only add to min dmg.

Seems wise. So let me ask you: is my essential assumption otherwise correct? Should I mix in a ed% jewel somewhere? I could make a 45 max helm, then resocket my shield with pure ed% jewels if needed. If I understand the damage formula correctly (and Jerkazoid sorta outlines it in another post), the basic idea is: max damage jewels help get you good damage for ed% to increase, and ed% increases best when you have a good damage. So... if my base damage (which is 70ish to 300 at this point) without a 45 max helm is currently pretty good, would the theory then be that I should look to boost that with ED%?

Hmm. Does anyone have a 60%ED helm on USWest ladder? I'd like to make a 45 maxer and compare. (Unfortunately, I don't have a SP editor I could crunch this on. I'm on a Mac, alas.) Thanks for all the input.

VoicesLLD

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 10:30 am    Post subject:  

unfortunately i cant answer that for you, as iv always gone for max damage over ED.

Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]  
 Forum index » Diablo 2 Discussion Section » LLD Discussion
Jump to: