LLD101 Forum Index LLD101
Low Level Dueling in 1.12

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:32 am
All times are UTC - 8
 Forum index » Diablo 2 Discussion Section » LLD Discussion » LLD Guides
LLD WW barb, build and play
Page 1 of 2 [22 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
meitou

4.11 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:23 am    Post subject:  LLD WW barb, build and play  

Few people know how to build a LLD barb, even less know how to use one. Often enough I see failed attempts, but over the years there have been so few good ones that I can count them with one hand. And now even those few are all sold/banned/expired except for my own. Hopefully this guide can inspire more people to build wwers.

Built and played properly, ww barb is an extremely powerful and fun LLD char, although not overpowering or annoying to the opponents in the least sense if they know what they are doing.

No matter how you build the wwer, two things are of ultimate importance:
1. Run really fast!
2. Smack them really hard!

I'm not saying life/resis etc. are not important, but those 2 should come first when you are building and playing the wwer.

Here's my barb built on the concept.

Skill placement:
7 bo, 1 bc or from helm.
1 double swing, 1 double throw, ww from helm, frenzy optional.
1 iron skin, 1 natural resist, 7 increased speed, 1 throw mastery, rest into the main weapon mastery.

Stats placement:
Str/Dex enough for equipments and max block. Rest into vita.
At least 135 str though, for eth -15% req ornate plate. And if you plan to throw harpoons, get the dex for it.

Gears:
Many options depends on what you have and what you can afford. Pack a lot of frw and damage, get decent mana.

Should always have these though:
WW helm
Life/max armor
High defense eth/repaire Ornate plate
IK glove
Sander boots
Death belt or Spirit Shroud (for anti-freeze)
IK belt or SOE
Upped swordback hold shield
2 weapons with range 3 and enough IAS to reach fastest WW speed, and high damage. Populare choices are self-made Naga (2 shaels and damage jewels) or Gale Thirst sword (East SC NL only).
Throw weapon such as Harpoons, eth/repair with high damage would be ideal.
Amulet: Doom emblem, Imp brow (East SC NL only) or rare ones.
Rings: Bitter hold (East SC NL only) or rare ones/sojs.

Jewels:
Idealy 24max, or 20ed/6str/9dex, or 20ed/12min, etc. Beware of the ed/max bug though before wasting the jewels.

Charms:
get 60-80frw from charms alone, and get enough mana. Rest you can use 3max/ar/life scs.

Dueling strategies:
This build is a BvA leaning on BvC side. A pure BvB build would have different skill placement and a few different gear choices, but is also utterly boring.

In general, use the speed as your advantage. Running around, back and forth, to confuse and lure the opponents, then swiftly run in to deliver the dance of death. High damage is important for putting opponent into FHR. Fastest ww speed is important for block locking the opponent. Together it's effective to lock chars like sorcs, necros into constant FHR/Block animation.

Try to anticipate where your opponent would be if they run/charge fast or tele around. Try to ww in the same direction as to where they are running, that will maximize their exposure time in your ww. Always try to use short ww with a few exceptions that will be mentioned later. Always avoid directly ww passing through the opponent, this will lower your chance of being hit.

vs WW barb.
Wear defense armor and Swordback shield. With this build you can throw javas at the opponent too, but be careful not to be caught by other's ww.
If your weapon is faster than the opponents, try to ww side along them to increase the time for both of you inside the ww range.

vs charger/zeal/conc/fury/smite/cs etc. that need close contact to deal damage.
WW them, avoid directly passing through them though. Ww always win.

vs bowzon.
Use shield and name lock ww. If the zon stand their ground and throw at you, triangle ww without directly passing through.

vs poison java zon.
Get some poison length reduction, most likely on amulet. Use dual weapons if the zon does shitty physical damage (which most of them do), combine name lock ww, double swing, frenzy if you have it.

vs trapper.
Name lock ww with dual weapons. Consider using 2 honor weapons for life rep if the trapper plays very defensively.

vs necro.
Name lock ww if he runs. WW side along or double swing if he walks. Triangle ww if he stand and tank. If he use decrepfy and clay golem together you are pretty much doomed if you still go after him, but you don't have to, do you?

vs FOH.
Name lock ww, get some life rep if the pally plays very defensively. Pure FOH won't be much of a problem though.

vs hammerdin.
This is very fun. For the noobs who just sit there casting hammers, throw at them. Decent hammerdins would try to hunt you down so you need to anticipate their moves. Generally they would try to desynch you, coming from the south side and make hammers ahead of you so you would run into invisible hammers. Now, you run really fast, so for most of the time the hammerdin have no idea where you actually are either. Also, to get ahead of you and desynch, pally need to charge in the general direction where you are running towards. When pally charges, their block rate drops to 25%. Keep all these in mind then try to make INVISIBLE ww along the way where you anticipat the pally would charge through at the right moment. How you gonna do that depends on how fast you run, how much the pally desynch, the terrain of the dueling ground, and the style of the pally player. What I find effective vs most hammerdin is to run a distance then double back with a little off the original path, then do a long ww generally in the original direction. The route would look like a elongated "Z". You can also use bridges/walls because the hammers will disappear into the walls. Don't forget to throw javas too.

vs sorcs:
DO NOT name lock ww. Avoid ww directly through. Try short ww because if you do long ww, by the time the first ww ends, the sorc might be able to tele away. It's not easy to do short ww vs a constantly teleing sorc but you should try. If you are lucky to land 2 solid ww passes, most sorcs would be done for. Try luring the sorc in by running away/around, guess where their next tele might land then double back wwing through there. Wear anti freeze vs cold sorc.

vs tornado:
Throw java to force them to move, then ww at them. You might be able to kill some with java alone. Do not ww into a swamp of tornado.

vs fissure:
Throw from a distance. Triangle whenever you can. Name lock ww. Frenzy/double swing.
Magi

10.15 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:41 am    Post subject:  

Thanks Meitou! I'm in the midst of remaking my 30 ww barb and this guide was right on time!

I will probably have a bunch of questions, but one off the top of my head is about items:
Are a pair of Goblintoes and an AToD with maxers ever advisable in certain situations based on your experiences? How about Peace? If so, when did you use them?
meitou

4.11 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject:  

Goblintoe is only useful for BvB. If you want to be able to use it, you need to somehow make up for the 15 stats lost by replacing sander boots.

Shield is only useful for vs ww, bowzon, and all other melee. Vs ww, open wound > 2 jewels, upped swordback has more defense too. Vs bowzon, open wound is also better, and swordback is light shield without run penalty while ATOD is heavy. Vs all other melee, really, you don't even need a shield to win, so it doesn't matter.

Peace armor will give less average damage comparing to max/life armor for BvC. You can consider eth peace ornate plate if you can't find/afford a high defense ornate plate for BvB.
badguts

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:57 am    Post subject:  

How are each one of your stats so high? I'm messing around in editor and 160 stat points can only do so much. Are you getting a lot off of your charms, or just really good jewels.
Vietthehand

BNet Acct/Realm: USwest *vietthelld *vietthefoot
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject:  

im pretty sure its both his charms and jewels.
dainbramage

2.65 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:43 pm    Post subject:  

Based on the sheer number of stats, the lack of SoJ's (damage shows up in white, not yellow) and level 14 IS, I'm guessing he's using IK gloves/belt, some absurd ammy a la doom emblem, stat rings and gale thirsts.

Stats on charms are beaten by +life, and you'll need to be cramming damage jewels in everywhere to get that damage.
Magi

10.15 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:40 am    Post subject:  

dainbramage wrote:
Based on the sheer number of stats, the lack of SoJ's (damage shows up in white, not yellow) and level 14 IS, I'm guessing he's using IK gloves/belt, some absurd ammy a la doom emblem, stat rings and gale thirsts.

Stats on charms are beaten by +life, and you'll need to be cramming damage jewels in everywhere to get that damage.

I'll post my ladder stats tonight if I can get off this friggin damned xbox. My barb is by no means optimal but his stats might be a little more representative of normal (cheapish) items.

On a slight sidenote, my family just got an xbox and I'm hopelessly addicted to gears of war and oblivion. Embarassed
meitou

4.11 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:17 am    Post subject:  

dainbramage wrote:

yes
Jozy

BNet Acct/Realm: Joz
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:51 am    Post subject:  

You probaly don't remember after so long, but my ww barb got yours down to a few dozen life Very Happy (1.10 or early1.11)
meitou

4.11 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject:  

what's your barb's name?
Wank

BNet Acct/Realm: Imp StormsRaider
57.98 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:58 pm    Post subject:  

How did you get so much mana?

Equipped Lvl 30's:
Froggy-Leap Attacker, Vidala- Bow, Starly-Wind, Haunter-Bonenec, Dragonair-Fissure, Vileplume-Psn Jav, Clefairy- Wc

http://img104.imagevenue.com/loc1100/th_30982_ImpAvatar_122_1100lo.jpg(didnt want to lose that link Surprised
meitou

4.11 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject:  

4x 15/70s

Instead of that, you can use 10x 15/12. With my gears it would end up with about 300 mana, which is OK for most duels, and about 90 less damage.

And, I really mean this:

1. Run really fast!
2. Smack them really hard!

BvB is more gear based, and, although it might take a while, eventually everyone can learn how to ww duel relatively easily. So if your gears/build sucks comparing to other barb, you will lose the duel no matter what.

On the other hand, even if your stuff is not of top notch, even if your life bar is relatively short, as long as you run REALLY fast, deal LOTS of damage, and know how to duel casters, you still have a very good chance vs most lld casters/zons out there.
Wank

BNet Acct/Realm: Imp StormsRaider
57.98 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:08 pm    Post subject:  

Yeah, I only got up to 375 mana without using mana charms, it was operable though. I would have an insight on switch when I expected a long duel, fun to random ww a hdin while you're regenerating your mana

Equipped Lvl 30's:
Froggy-Leap Attacker, Vidala- Bow, Starly-Wind, Haunter-Bonenec, Dragonair-Fissure, Vileplume-Psn Jav, Clefairy- Wc

http://img104.imagevenue.com/loc1100/th_30982_ImpAvatar_122_1100lo.jpg(didnt want to lose that link Surprised
Jozy

BNet Acct/Realm: Joz
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject:  

meitou wrote:
what's your barb's name?

I dont remember Sad
I was the barb with the 2os visonary's life mask.
money

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:25 am    Post subject:  

Did you debate whether or not to use "jump"? I've always found it pretty darn useful.
Page 1 of 2 [22 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
 Forum index » Diablo 2 Discussion Section » LLD Discussion » LLD Guides
Jump to: