LLD101 Forum Index LLD101
Low Level Dueling in 1.12

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:01 pm
All times are UTC - 8
 Forum index » Off-Topic Section » Off-Topic Discussion
DSL or Cable Internet?
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]  
Dan The Man

18.68 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:46 am    Post subject:  DSL or Cable Internet?
Subject description: I must choose....Frontier is only choice....

I'm torn between DSL and Cable Internet. I've heard Cable can be much faster than DSL at times but DSL being a more stable connection.

Where I live there aren't much choices for broadband, just Frontier internet crap, where they charge you at a premium just to get the same service elsewhere. Any help is appreciated, thanks!
Waramp

0.59 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject:  

ive got cable at my apartment, and when im at school, i can see myself signing in and out of msn on my friends' laptops, meaning my connection is disconnecting just for a second every half hour to an hour during the day. my cable average dl speed is about 500kb/s, and my dsl average dl speed at home here is about 300kb/s.

http://forums.d2jsp.org/index.php?showuser=246043
FudGe

BNet Acct/Realm: *MaStEr_FuDgE, jacquesstrap on D2JSP
2.11 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject:  

if you can get a good cable provider, then cable is FAR superior.

I have Rogers (a popular provider in Canada), and I get around 7mb DL, 600kb upload. I never disconnect and it is ALWAYS flying.

I have also had a DSL connection at school. Only averaged about 4mb dl and 300kb upload.

I would go with cable.

Magi

10.15 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:40 am    Post subject:  

I use DSL at home. For me it was far less expensive (I don't watch tv so I don't need cable television.) I also just happened to have a dsl wireless router with same-brand NIC's and wireless adapters so it was just easier for me to go that way.

I'm not completely adverse to going with cable but I do have one concern about it: Do more users on the "pipe" = slower speeds? I don't believe DSL has that same limitation. If I am correct in that assumption, and you have a lot of people in your neighborhood/area that also use cable internet, then that may be a concern.

I also use the slowest dsl connection since I don't steal any movies or music off the internet so I don't need super fast connection speeds. (All legit stuff is purchased in-store and not downloaded as well.) It's e-mail, casual web browsing, and d2 for me and that's pretty much it.
sPiN
The tool formerly known as Tool

BNet Acct/Realm: Quit D2.
22.16 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject:  

I 100% recommend cable internet if you want a fast, cheap reliable source of internet. I have charter cable and it's great.

FudGe

BNet Acct/Realm: *MaStEr_FuDgE, jacquesstrap on D2JSP
2.11 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:23 am    Post subject:  

Magi wrote:
I'm not completely adverse to going with cable but I do have one concern about it: Do more users on the "pipe" = slower speeds? I don't believe DSL has that same limitation. If I am correct in that assumption, and you have a lot of people in your neighborhood/area that also use cable internet, then that may be a concern.

While this is true, the chances of this happening are pretty slim. If you're a student living in a student neighbourhood, then this would be something to consider.

When I was living at school, I lived in a huge student neighbourhood. Students, being poor, download pretty much anything and everything they can. Myself and my roommates got cable during 2nd year when we got our own house, and I can tell you that it was ABSOLUTELY terrible....barely faster than 56k speeds at the time, horribly high pings.

But keep in mind this is because pretty much everyone living around us had cable, and were being bandwidth hogs either through gaming or torrenting.

This was partly the cable providers fault though, as they hadn't outfitted the neighbourhood with enough nodes to provide enough bandwidth for everyone (ie they were really cheap bastards).

We ended up getting DSL which was about 100x better. However, I have cable at home (living in a residential neighbourhood with my parents, planning on moving out asap!), and it is lightning fast.

Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]  
 Forum index » Off-Topic Section » Off-Topic Discussion
Jump to: