LLD101 Forum Index LLD101
Low Level Dueling in 1.12

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:29 am
All times are UTC - 8
 Forum index » Off-Topic Section » Off-Topic Discussion
Just went to a metal concert
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]  
ThatGuy

BNet Acct/Realm: MONTREAL YAA! Quit d2
5.36 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject:  Just went to a metal concert
Subject description: My first concert ever!

I just got back from Heavy MTL, a ridiculous heavy metal concert that spanned over 2 days, 10 hours each...I decided to hit up both days. My brain is slosh and my ears are ringing beyond belief, so I guess I'll recount how it went in case any of you guys like these bands.

Day 1

Unexpect was delightfully amazing. They delivered a fantastic opening act. I had never heard of these guys before but they were easily one of my favorites for this weekend. Big thumbs up from me.

Lauren Harris...I know she's the daughter of the bassist for Iron Maiden, so that MAY have influenced why she was allowed to play in the first place. Needless to say it wasn't interesting enough to keep me around.

Overkill was insane. I had a surprise mosh start right around me, and being the dolt I am and bringing a bag to this event, I had to get out. I kept getting tossed back in so I had to deck my way through a couple guys before I could make it out. Yay, my first mosh experience! Other than that these guys were super fast paced and hardcore and they were pretty enjoyable.

Three Inches of Blood, like Lauren Harris, failed to keep me interested in listening to them.

Symphony X was basically the reason I even came to this concert. These guys are my current favorite band after listening to their 25-minute long song "The Odyssey", which is in itself an incredible masterpiece for anyone to enjoy. They did not fail to disappoint, and while they stuck to their more hardcore material rather than bust out the melodics and orchestras, they still put on a grand show. Big big thumbs up. Fun fact, I got a free autographed signed poster from them too and they seemed like really cool guys.

Hatebreed attracted the best concentration of the violent crowd, so I tended to stick to the outskirts of the masses. However, they were pretty damn good at what they did, which was pump people up. These guys did some real hardcore shit and I am definitely going to get some of their music if I need to be pumped.

Hammerfall was like Dragonforce Junior with crappy sound quality, so I put myself a good distance away from these guys. And Mastadon sucked too.

Type O Negative was probably the worst performance of the weekend. It sounded like a couple of stoned monkeys bashing instruments together hoping it sounded good. I have no idea how these guys could even begin to have some sort of fanbase. The lead singer even said "Are you guys prepared to be disappointed?" which I thought was clever, but I didn't know he was speaking the truth.

Dethklok (yes, the metal band from that cartoon Metalocalypse) was probably the best performance of the weekend, quality wise. These guys didn't even try cheesy things like "WHAT'S UP MONTREAL! RAISE YOUR FUCKIN' HANDS IN THE AIR!", they just straight up went from one song to the other. These guys meant business. I don't think the lead singer even moved. And they were top-notch; they sounded exactly like they do from their album / the cartoon. They has some funky cartoon effects on the jumbo screen for some added humor as well. If you ever get a chance to see Dethklok live, jump on it.

Iron Maiden was the most hyped event of the weekend, with their "Somewhere Back in Time" tour and all. Me and my friend waited 3 hours near the front of the stage for Iron Maiden, despite me preferring Dethklok I decided to fork over the good position now for the good one later. That did not last long, however, for when Dethklok ended everyone just PILEDRIVED into our crowd. It was a huge wave of people just collapsing on me, and the only thing keeping me alive (and standing) was the fact that other people behind me were trying to push back. The thing basically turned into a mosh pit before they even made any appearance. When Iron Maiden finally appeared it became too much. Some guy gave me a headlock and tried getting lifted over the top of the audience, so people on the other side pushed too hard and he landed on top of me. I was basically crouching down in a gigantic mosh pit...try it, it's one of the worst things you will experience. I still had my fucking bag with me to. I somehow managed to crawl my way out after lots of pushing and jerking, and made it into the clearing where I could breath again. The show was nuts with lots of effects and flamethrowers...Iron Maiden really knows how to put on a good show.

Day 2

I felt like shit. My neck, arm, and left leg was killing me, my throat hurt, and my ears were still goddamn ringing. I stayed at a friend's place too and the sleeping area I had was VERY uncomfortable. Oh well, the show must go on...

Death Boat wasn't anything special, just sounded like a generic thrash metal band to me. Might have been because of how nuts the day before was though. They did dress up funny though, like pirates, trannies, and a guy in a (pre-pooped) diaper. They're like the village people of thrash.

Your Favorite Enemies was a big disappointment. They sounded amazing until the singers opened their fucking mouths. It turned from awesome hardcore metal into shitty emo looking / sounding metal. Really unfortunate.

Priestess was some pretty hardcore rock. Was working out the cramps in my neck during this period.

Warrant was more old-school hard glam rock, so it wasn't really my style. I decided to save my energy for bands I wanted to enjoy later.

Drowning Pool was pretty cool, I don't remember any of it now but some songs sounded real nice.

Shadows Fall fucking rocked! They got life back into me and really got the audience moving. They sounded fantastic.

Voivod is apparently revolutionary, but it wasn't anything special to me. Some sort of big band reunion for the first time in 8 years is what drove the hype. I had never heard of these guys and don't care to hear about them later on.

Anthrax...oh my god. Fucking hype. REALLY hype! These guys were fantastic and knew how to get the crowd moving. They were hardcore, loud, thrash, and overall just rocked the house.

Three Days Grace was the biggest disappointment of the weekend for me. I love these guys as they are one of my favorite artists, but their entire performance SUCKED. It was AWFUL. The singer did not sound like he should have at all...in fact he barely sang he just tried to make up for it by screaming a bunch instead. And every time he did sing it was off key. They did not sound even close to what they normally sound like...maybe because it was a metal concert that they tried to change their style up, but it was terrible. I wish they listened to themselves before they actually performed. I wasn't the only one who thought this: every face shown on the jumbo screen was plastered with disappointment, I actually laughed watching the screen while they performed. Go back to the recording studio guys. Never watch them live.

Disturbed was the LOUDEST performance I could have possibly imagined! They were twice as loud as any of the other bands, and they were clear too. The crowd was SUPER excited...they were the best performance that day, by a huge margin. ESPECIALLY since Three Days Suck was before them. Their special effects were on cue and synched perfectly, the musicians were full of personality, the singer was so badass...and the bass drum was so loud and clear it could knock people over. It was seriously obliteration. I lost myself to "Land of Confusion", wow. Incredible...do go see these guys if you get the chance!

I skipped Motley Crue because I'm not a big fan of them and I wanted to get home. Probably had flames and stuff too, whatever.

Yeah, that's my weekend in a nutshell. My ears still hurt and I got a crazy sunburn.

Torrent

BNet Acct/Realm: Torrent@USEast
13.37 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject:  

Not my type of music at all. My friend went to see Iron Maiden in NY a few days ago, but me...I'll stick to the new Coldplay album.

I don't want a cycle of recycled revenge

I don't wanna follow Death And All of His Friends
http://lld101.com/viewtopic.php?t=44473 (for my own reference)
Waramp

0.59 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject:  

sounds like a pretty sick show! i personally love hatebreed. defeatist and doomsayer are intense songs with neck-snapping breakdowns. i'll have to check out a couple of the bands you mentioned that i havent heard of

http://forums.d2jsp.org/index.php?showuser=246043
sPiN
The tool formerly known as Tool

BNet Acct/Realm: Quit D2.
22.16 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject:  

Nice the only one of those bands I've seen in concert is Hatebreed it was awesome. Sounds like a sweet and expensive show.

ubermoose
LLD101 Staff

BNet Acct/Realm: Europe
3.49 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:04 am    Post subject:  

Really nice writeup and interesting read.

Although im frequently in the mood to listen to some metal, its not usually that sort and i dont think id like spending 2 solid days listening to it.
Magi

10.15 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:34 am    Post subject:  

Torrent wrote:
Not my type of music at all. My friend went to see Iron Maiden in NY a few days ago, but me...I'll stick to the new Coldplay album.

That's how I was at one time. I got stuck going to two concerts that I would NEVER have gone to if the choice had been mine. The first was Slaughter and the second was Alannis Morrisette. I didn't listen to either of them but I came away from the concert with a new-found appreciation for both of them. They were both pretty nice concerts.

For the record, I still don't listen to either of them. Wink

My very first concert was Marilyn Manson in a little bar on a military base. Best concert I ever went too! Unfortunately, they're all washed up now...
ThatGuy

5.36 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject:  

sPiN wrote:
Sounds like a sweet and expensive show.

Oh yeah. 75 bucks plus tax per ticket, and the concessions were marked up 4x (like a bottle of water for 4 bucks plus tax).

TacoBell

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject:  

Ugh, it's always a shame when highly influential bands such as Overkill, Iron Maiden, and Anthrax are placed side by side with crappy (non-metal) radio bands like Three Days Grace, Disturbed, and Motley Crue. Regardless, it looked like a fun time and you are extremely lucky Cool
lld_newb

BNet Acct/Realm: Deserves a spam section.
70.13 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:26 am    Post subject:  

hate fuckin breeeeeed
3 inches of blood is supposed to be like dethklok, its funny because he is screaming so high.
deathklok, awesome..

other then that, i wouldnt have seen any of the other bands O_o

Jerkazoid

BNet Acct/Realm: wscl
4.86 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject:  

i use to listen to soo much metal,, but out of that group i only really knew of Type 0 -
although i see priestess on GHIII but that doesnt count.

so this is metal like old Metalica. or metal like Death?..wait youtube is my friend,, but i dont have time to listen to all those bands,,

which is the best? quickly give me the objective truth NOW!

Waramp

0.59 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject:  

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=GHlskTub90E

there's my favourite hatebreed song. its a start, but im sure it doesnt compare to a live show

http://forums.d2jsp.org/index.php?showuser=246043
ThatGuy

5.36 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject:  

In my own experience, the performances I enjoyed the most were Unexpect, Symphony X, Dethklok, Anthrax, and Disturbed.

heprea
pokemon fanatic

BNet Acct/Realm: europe laddars
8.01 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:24 am    Post subject:  

iv heard quite many bands but most of thouse where unknown to me.

only ones i knew where disturped / hammerfall / type o negative / and mötley crue, oh yeah and iron maiden ofc..

and the only one of thouse band i can listen to is pretty much disturbed.

anyways sounded like u had great time there, im going to see few band this year too maybe: in flames / pain (and some other minor bands that arent worth mentioning)

havent been in to many concerts but the very few iv been in have been awesome.

Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]  
 Forum index » Off-Topic Section » Off-Topic Discussion
Jump to: