LLD101 Forum Index LLD101
Low Level Dueling in 1.12

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:08 am
All times are UTC - 8
 Forum index » Off-Topic Section » Alternative Gaming
Super Smash Brothers Melee
Page 1 of 15 [214 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 13, 14, 15 Next
SoaringSquirrel

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:51 am    Post subject:  Super Smash Brothers Melee  

Anybody here play a little Smash?

This is probably the most complicated fighting game I've ever played. After playing for about three or four years, I'm still trying to master some advanced techniques that I'd just recently heard of. It's fun at all levels, but when you really get into it, it's by far the deepest, most challenging PvP game I've ever heard of. Shield-grabbing, wave dashing, L-cancelling, teching - all are just some of the general advanced techniques that all characters can utilize, without mentioning the character specific techniques.

I was going to go to a few east coast Smash tournaments this summer to beat up some noobs and get served by Ken, Isai, Wes, and such, but I have to work and all that crap so I won't be able to make them.

So does anyone else play this game? Or even going to the tournament? If you do play leave a message so I can see what you LLDers are made of in Smash. Twisted Evil
velocity

BNet Acct/Realm: Lazy_Dragon69 UsEast-Nonladder
-2.73 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:17 am    Post subject:  

i play it for game cube, i use zelda... im pretty but my cuzin whoops me with fox Rolling Eyes

Martin V. Li
Sept. 17, 1987-Mar. 3, 2008

He wasnt just my Brother
He was my Teacher
My partner
And my best Friend

Rest In Peace
SoaringSquirrel

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:51 am    Post subject:  

Cool, Zelda or Sheik? There's somewhat a huge difference between the two. Rolling Eyes

I used to use mainly Link as my first character, then I moved to Ganondorf, then to Falco, then to Peach, and then Captain Falcon, so now I'm decent with many characters. Cool

Fox is eeeevil, however. Evil or Very Mad
urkel181

BNet Acct/Realm: USeast nl
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:05 am    Post subject:  

roy=ownage Very Happy I have not played that game ina long time though...
Captain Crunch

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:29 pm    Post subject:  

kirby... Very Happy

nothing gets better than kicking some ass with a pink marshmallow

You're a stupid thread.

ThatGuy

BNet Acct/Realm: MONTREAL YAA! Quit d2
5.36 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject:  

Hmm...I used to be amazing at that game...

In the first one, I was Fox, and I was unstoppable. However, I've found that they slowed fox down a bit, and since I'm basically a pure speed player...I've gone with zelda/shiek. I use my Zelda half if I'm fighting someone ranged, like Link, and my Shiek for...everything else =)

Damn, I miss playing now...

I'm more of an in-your-face kind of player, but I've never gone as deep into the game as the way you're taking it to. Good luck in your tourney!

ShaggyHairedMagi

BNet Acct/Realm: *TM-Magi@USEast, *Air_Kevin@USEast
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject:  

I've had a few arguments about this game. >.>' And a fair few challenges from friends.

As of yet I've found Fox to be the best character to use in any 1v1 situation. He seems to get too bogged down if he has to keep two characters tied up. It's just too hard to try to keep two characters on the run with Fox due to the near complete lack of moves effecting more than one opponent.

For general strategies... Well, he's just about invulnerable to ranged attacks with his Down+B little Reflector Shield thingy which angers many players. So if you're fighting a ranged character, they'll need to close the distance in order to do near anything, and if they decide to camp it's just a matter of stacking damage on them with his blaster.

As far as melee, well, Shiek is the only character I've faced that's come close to beating me in the hand to hand area. But between his little tail spin (Kneeling and Tap A), his dash kick thingy (Running and tap A), his dash (Horizontal Direction +B) and his Reflector Shield again (By far his most versatile move), there's not a whole lot that can compete as long as you know when to shield / roll / grab, and most of all, wait. >.< Too many times I ran into a hasty confrontation with Shiek and I hardly ever like the outcome. Those damn kicks keep you locked forever. And NEVER get hit by her upward spiral kick of doom and screen flying. o.O

Yeah... There's my two cents, lol. I haven't played too much since I only recently acquired a Gamecube, but I was nasty on ye olde sk00l N64 (I apologize for that).

Also, I don't normally like the enclosed levels. It's much harder to pick fights on your own terms. Any opinions on favorite levels out there? (If you didn't guess I'd take the open Star Fox level [from N64] or Hyrule Temple anyday).

Characters:
Lvl 9 Bash Barbarian

"It's a sandwich from the future!" -Teh Matt
SoaringSquirrel

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:09 am    Post subject:  

I agree that Fox is easily one of the deadliest melee fighters out there - as soon as you get tossed up into the air, you're pretty much finished, and his shine (reflector shield) can spike you at zero percent damage. He's not without his weaknesses, however, as whenever I'm fighting a good Marth who knows his "passive-aggressive" style of fighting, I just can't get past his sword because every time I try to get into Fox's killing range, I get intercepted by his arching sword and combo'd into a tipper, and then either killed or left open for edge guarding, which is, along with his short range, probably Fox's only other big weakness.

I usually put up a good fight as Captain Falcon against any of the Fox players I've met, except one guy I know who's been participating in East Coast Smash tourneys for two years already Rolling Eyes. In my experience, as soon as I can get Fox into one of my air combos and a follow up to a knee, he's pretty much finished, and if not, an easy edge guard. The only big weakness is Falcon's long lag times after moves and his ridiculously easy to edge guard recovery (B + up).

As far as I know, there is no *BEST* character, because every character has their counters (except maybe Sheik, but nobody really plays as her in tournaments because she's considered cheap. Razz), even Marth by Yoshi Shocked. If anybody would like, I can send some videos of the best players in the world facing off, kicking ass, and putting people like me to shame. Embarassed

Anyway, I can find a link to the East Coast tourneys of this summer if anyone is interested.

Oh, and as far as levels go, I'd have to pick Dreamland 64 and Final Destination as my favorite levels to play competitively, just because they're so neutral, but the most fun level is obviously Game & Watch with only poke balls, bob-bombs and hammers turned on at very high items. Wink
Icanneverwin

BNet Acct/Realm: *Disc0nnect
1.49 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:03 pm    Post subject:  

im straight fox, i attempted falcon and capt, falco, but it doesnt work as well as fox ^_^.

~Destined for Disappointment~

--------------------------------------------------
1000th post:Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:54 pm

1337st post:Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:06 am
Knifer

BNet Acct/Realm: Hawaii/Oregon
1.39 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:42 pm    Post subject:  

i usually play as sheik or marth as my main chars. as for lvl, me and my buds always play in final destination as thats the flatest and there are no platforms or any advantages to the map. marth, imo, is by far THE best edge guarder out there. with his long ranged sword and small jump down+A which sends them straight down, he can just about handle any char trying to return to the field. ive watched some videos (by andy, chen, and nick if you know of them) and they are fusking crazy. they have crazy control that i can only begin to imitate. btw i sent you a pm, id love to see the vids Very Happy
Mr.Snuggles

BNet Acct/Realm: North Carolina (Sadly)
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:42 am    Post subject:  

i can play ne character cept Ganandorf/Bowser...way to slow for me since in the N64 smash brothers all i used was fox...lol....but on melee my main chars would have to be Fox/Roy/Young Link.....iv gone to a few tourny's but nothing to big...only person i lose to constantly is my friend Ryan....but it can also go vice-vursa....and id love to get a link to the eastern tourny and maybe see sum clips.....iv always thought i was pretty damn good at the game and id like to see just how good i am...lol

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger 
SoaringSquirrel

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:22 am    Post subject:  

Here is the website containing info on tournaments: http://www.smashboards.com/forumdisplay.php?s=f938e7d8593de805ba9a2c3be25f3110&forumid=51

You can play as Pichu but not as Ganondorf? Shocked Pichu wasn't even designed to be a competitive player, while some of the best players in the world use Ganondorf as their main character. Seriously, Pichu (along with Kirby) must be my least favorite character to play as, but maybe it's just because I suck at controlling tiny yellow rats. Confused

As for clips, just PM me your email address and I'll mail them out to you, or contact me on AIM, as they're rather large. The easiest way to access all of them, however, is to download DC++ and connect to the smash hub where you can access all the tournament video clips that'll blow your mind (unless you're Ken, Isai, Wes, Azen, etc and keep it on the down low Cool )
hero-lld

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject:  

i have played this game, at my brothers friends house but i dont own a cube cube to own it Crying or Very sad . i used to be a nintendo fan but the game cube wrecked it for me. i soooooo wish zelda was on xbox Twisted Evil

any way ive played the 64 version of smash brothers Smile love it

velocity

BNet Acct/Realm: Lazy_Dragon69 UsEast-Nonladder
-2.73 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:04 pm    Post subject:  

Whoops, i didnt mean zelda, i ment link Rolling Eyes (not yonug link)

Martin V. Li
Sept. 17, 1987-Mar. 3, 2008

He wasnt just my Brother
He was my Teacher
My partner
And my best Friend

Rest In Peace
Zolas

BNet Acct/Realm: WoW Perenold
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:37 pm    Post subject:  

that game was what made me buy my game cube. finally just after moving into a shithole house with my new fiance when i was 18, i had aquired all the chars/stages. then some asshole broke into the apartment and stole my cube and 64. i was pissed. after moving to florida to find pawn shops on every block i bought a new game cube n smash bros. i once again aquired all chars and stages (not that its hard, but so time consuming) my fiance in the program big brothers big sisters let her girl borrow my cube. of coure she saved over my smash bros game data. Evil or Very Mad now once again i started playin but dont really feel like gettin everything. funny tho seein this post as i just played for 3 hours tonight wth some friends Laughing
Page 1 of 15 [214 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 13, 14, 15 Next
 Forum index » Off-Topic Section » Alternative Gaming
Jump to: