LLD101 Forum Index LLD101
Low Level Dueling in 1.12

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:13 am
All times are UTC - 8
 Forum index » Off-Topic Section » Off-Topic Discussion
Use vegetable oil to fuel your car okay?
Page 2 of 3 [42 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
Waramp

0.59 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject:  

your brains are leaking out your nose apparently. the more you blow your nose, the stupider you'll get

http://forums.d2jsp.org/index.php?showuser=246043
zarc

BNet Acct/Realm: USEast NonLadder *fyarbeast USEast Ladder *fyarbeast1
-2.48 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject:  

i didn't think i had that much brain to leak...

Mimes

BNet Acct/Realm: e/sc/l Mimes., Mimes-LLD, Justin27 and 1338
34.96 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject:  

that would be a pretty gross way to fuel your car. It would also take a really long time to tank up.

1,000th post on 12/12/07
dainbramage

2.65 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject:  

Mimes wrote:
it would still be better then burning fossil fuels.

Nope. Where's the power come from to power the UV light?

The whole UV->split water->burn hydrogen is far less efficient than using the same power put into the UV light to power an electric motor.
Goky

1.68 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject:  

I wouldn't think that long triglyceride hydrocarbon tails burn real efficiently, not to say it doesn't work, but that's bound to make a little soot.

Honestly though, our problem lies more in the fact that we require so much energy in the first place. You think that if everyone started using vegetable oil that there wouldn't be a whole host of similar and/or new environmental problems? And yes, used vegetable oil is cheap, but if we all used it, do you think it'd still be cheap? I'd imagine the amount of used oil gained from Sally Soccermom's french fry order doesn't actually outweigh the amount she would have had to burn to get to McDonalds that day.

I mean I'm not trying to be pessimistic here or anything, but yeah. Thermodynamics always wins, and any energy we use has to come from somewhere--most of the common methods we use now are there because they are relatively cheap, and relatively efficient (with plenty of undesirable byproducts, of course). Even things that seem benign to your every day person (hydroelectric power, for instance) certainly aren't quite as innocent as they seem.

Of course I'm not saying that we shouldn't try to minimize damage as much as we can, but it's easy to only look at one part of the picture and be like "hey, we're helping things!". You have to look at the whole process, really.
Meegz ?

BNet Acct/Realm: *meegz @ east ladder
39.74 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:23 am    Post subject:  

Goky- master of making everyone who's trying to do the 'right' thing feel like stupid asses!

J/k man, it was funny how you just shot down the entire thing and crushed everyone hopes and dreams all in one fell swoop.

And btw that whole vegetable oil thing is biodiesel right? They ran a section on it on the show Trucks or one of those on saturday mornings on SpikeTV about a year ago. Its pretty cool stuff, doesnt really show a big loss in power or anything. If you want to do this honestly I'd try for a Ranger-size pickup truck with a diesel engine. Generally can be found relatively cheap and since they were diesel to start with they can have 300k miles on em and still run just fine.

Napalm loves the little children of the world.
Grim04

BNet Acct/Realm: Grim04/UWNL
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:08 am    Post subject:  

Mimes wrote:
never heard of a salt water powered car... but that would be great if there was.

Oceans ftw.

Twenty thousand leagues under the sea.

Isn't the sub powered by salt water?
Dao Jones

BNet Acct/Realm: *Dao_Jones, Bi-Realmsual.
33.66 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject:  

Goky wrote:
You think that if everyone started using vegetable oil that there wouldn't be a whole host of similar and/or new environmental problems?

Actually, Goky is spot on. I was reading an article on alternative fuels (I live in San Francisco, so it's madatory), and the author was noting that an amusing byproduct of the huge increase in corn-based ethanol subsidies and fuel additives is having an effect on all other industries that use corn. Because there's so much money to be had in selling corn for conversion to ethanol, farmers aren't as keen to sell their corn for food, or chicken feed, or other such things. As a result, prices for those things go up as the supply shrinks.

So we get gasoline additives, but it costs more to buy chicken, because farmers are paying more for feed. I'm sure Canola-boy Weaj could comment more on this. But it's the same thing with petroleum and plastics - as we use more petroleum for gas, the cost of plastic goes up. And since the demand for plastic is growing every day, it puts an additional squeeze on the price of everything that uses petroleum.

So, yeah. Alternative fuels carry their own "price".
Meegz ?

BNet Acct/Realm: *meegz @ east ladder
39.74 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject:  

yeah, but they can make plastics out of all kinds of shit, i.e. corn
Napalm loves the little children of the world.
Torrent

BNet Acct/Realm: Torrent@USEast
13.37 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject:  

Maybe we should just go back and forth between gasoline, petroleum and ethanol. It'll be like a game...just wait for prices to turn unfavorable and say "WAIT, THIS IS BETTER."

Simple as butter vs. margarine.

I don't want a cycle of recycled revenge

I don't wanna follow Death And All of His Friends
http://lld101.com/viewtopic.php?t=44473 (for my own reference)
Goky

1.68 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject:  

Dao Jones wrote:
So, yeah. Alternative fuels carry their own "price".

In addition to that, an increase in corn production lends itself to a decrease in all sorts of other vegetables and crops we're keen on, so those end up going up in price as well.

Also, corn isn't exactly a "drop seeds and watch it grow" kind of crop. It actually requires more fertilizer and herbicide than a lot of crops (well actually, they've genetically engineered corn to naturally produce its own herbicide.. so maybe not.) All of that fertilizer has to go somewhere, namely nearby streams which feed into rivers which feed into bays which end up leading to huge amounts of algal and aquatic plant growth, which depletes oxygen and kills fish (See: Chesapeake Bay and the entire Chesapeake/Potomac watershed).

As the percentage of ethanol in fuel increases past 10% and becomes common place (which obviously would be a slow adjustment), there will actually come a point when we could not possibly produce enough ethanol by current methods to keep up. It's interesting stuff, really. It's sort of difficult to model the environmental and economic impact of large scale use, and whether the benefits would actually outweigh the negatives.

At the same time, it's becoming increasingly obvious that we have to do something. I myself plan on moving to the moon by 2020.
Weaj
LLD101 Staff

BNet Acct/Realm: US East Ladder & NL *Weaj *Weaj. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
39.43 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject:  

I'm not too great at adding points to discussions like this, so I generally just stay out of them. I will say that canola requires a lot more fertilization and other spraying than do corn. Canola is another crop that is being grown for biodiesels. Since I don't exactly know too much more than this, and from what I've heard/seen in life/other things (tv/news/internet) what I would think would be better suited for biodiesels would be algae. Look it up if you want to, comment, I don't really have much to say.

Mr_Bilson

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject:  

wouldnt this be cool?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_photosynthesis

Goky

1.68 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject:  

Mr_Bilson wrote:
wouldnt this be cool?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_photosynthesis

Indeed. Nature is very good at what it does, and the fact that all life on our planet is ultimately fueled by sunlight, carbon dioxide and water with a reaction yield and efficiency that would put even the best organic chemists to shame is pretty amazing.
Bloody Mess

BNet Acct/Realm: a human container, looking for a new container pretty soon
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject:  

Quote:
I wouldn't think that long triglyceride hydrocarbon tails burn real efficiently, not to say it doesn't work, but that's bound to make a little soot.

Honestly though, our problem lies more in the fact that we require so much energy in the first place. You think that if everyone started using vegetable oil that there wouldn't be a whole host of similar and/or new environmental problems? And yes, used vegetable oil is cheap, but if we all used it, do you think it'd still be cheap? I'd imagine the amount of used oil gained from Sally Soccermom's french fry order doesn't actually outweigh the amount she would have had to burn to get to McDonalds that day.

I mean I'm not trying to be pessimistic here or anything, but yeah. Thermodynamics always wins, and any energy we use has to come from somewhere--most of the common methods we use now are there because they are relatively cheap, and relatively efficient (with plenty of undesirable byproducts, of course). Even things that seem benign to your every day person (hydroelectric power, for instance) certainly aren't quite as innocent as they seem.

Of course I'm not saying that we shouldn't try to minimize damage as much as we can, but it's easy to only look at one part of the picture and be like "hey, we're helping things!". You have to look at the whole process, really.

and

Quote:
Goky- master of making everyone who's trying to do the 'right' thing feel like stupid asses!

J/k man, it was funny how you just shot down the entire thing and crushed everyone hopes and dreams all in one fell swoop.

And btw that whole vegetable oil thing is biodiesel right? They ran a section on it on the show Trucks or one of those on saturday mornings on SpikeTV about a year ago. Its pretty cool stuff, doesnt really show a big loss in power or anything. If you want to do this honestly I'd try for a Ranger-size pickup truck with a diesel engine. Generally can be found relatively cheap and since they were diesel to start with they can have 300k miles on em and still run just fine.

I'm just going to give a general response to this. In my opinion learning and discovering new things is more important than reviewing what you or the majority already know. (like a "cookie-cutter" build anyone?) And yes what Goky pointed out is probably true. I would understand completely, knowing this first hand.

I was 2nd head-chef and co-manager at my family's Asian Cuisine and Grill Restaurant for 7 years. And on occassion I had to clean out the deep fryers with vegetable oils, gas wok ranges and ventilation ducts on the roof where everything we cooked was vented out. And yes it had a greasy soot aka byproduct, etc costs. But like I said b4. Learning and doing something new is a good thing, not worrying about, "dam, what if this happens and this and this?" Inventers, leaders, people of stature and what makes a champion a winner, looked at these things too but not so much where it hindered them into not doing anything at all.

Even though you feel like a stupid-ass (like how Meegz directed stupidity towards me and saying I got shot down) at the beginning. You are only expanding your own knowledge at the end. And thats all that matters to me anyway. People will have their opinions and beliefs on what you believe in but I'm going to stick with my beliefs and my ongoing learning.

In other words, keeping an open mind, in my opinion, outweighs the consequences.

(not directed towards anyone)
Sorry I had to say this, being stupid is better than being a pussy. Stupid people can actually learn, pussies don't want to try or do anything.

p.s. oh did you read my sig. too?

Page 2 of 3 [42 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
 Forum index » Off-Topic Section » Off-Topic Discussion
Jump to: