LLD101 Forum Index LLD101
Low Level Dueling in 1.12

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:19 pm
All times are UTC - 8
 Forum index » Diablo 2 Discussion Section » LLD Discussion » LLD Guides
[28-30] The LLD Smiters Beginners Handbook
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]  
Hades

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:14 am    Post subject:  [28-30] The LLD Smiters Beginners Handbook
Subject description: by Hades

The LLD Smiters Beginners Handbook:

Note: I don't claim to be the all knowing guru of lld smite but I have made quite a few in my time and would like to share some of my knowledge. Also there dosnt appear to be an actual smite guide for this level altho alot of information and suggestions are floating around on these boards so I will not take credit for all this.

Background Information: The Smiter is a class that is one of the most flexible in terms of items it can use. There is varied opinion on what Items you should use, skills to place and stats to pick.

Things that work with smite:
Crushing blow*
Chance to cast something on striking
Hit blinds target
Hit freezes target
Open Wounds
Enhanced Damage (off weapon)
Prevent Monster Heal
+Damage modifier on the Redeemer (unique Mighty Scepter) and Astreon's Iron Ward (unique Caduceus) Grief Runeword
Curses such as Life Tap, Amplify Damage...

Things that won't work with smite:
Life or Mana leech
Deadly Strike/Critical Strike
Elemental Damage
+Max/Min Damage

Goals I always try to reach with any smiter build

- Reach the fastest smite breakpoint
- High Hit Points
- Maxed resists [Anya Quest not taken into account due to the bug]
- As high a smite range as possible
- Max Block

Vitality Build

Strength: Enough for gear
Dexterity: Enough for Max Block with Holyshield
Vitality: All
Energy: Base

Titan Build

Strength: All
Dexterity: Enough for Max Block with Holyshield
Vitality: Base
Energy: Base

PS: You can hybridise these builds and settle on a compromise you are happy with.

The Lvl 28 (melee master).

The lvl 28 smiter, is one of the only classes that has been restricted in level to compete in arena to fight in melee. This is due to the fact that smiters have a distinct advantage over most melee's in the fact that smite is un-blockable (traditional shield block btw) and requires no ar to hit so the opponents deffence is ignored.
One of the only reasons to make your smiter lvl 28 is to duel in arena and purely vs melee. So resists/frw/and to a lesser degree range are less vital to this builds success.

At level 28 [Hell rushed] you will have 39 skill points to spend and there are 2 main skill setups I would suggest.

Code:
Skill Setup (pure deffensive route)
      - 5 Holy Shield
      - 20 Deffiance
      - 12 Smite

If you go this pure deffensive route I would suggest looking into a Titan Build a Pure Strength Build. Also you can hybridise this build by altering the deffiance and smite ratio's. The reasoning behind this build will be to be able to contineously hit a melee who will have a hard time htiing you due to your high deffense. Most of the damage will come from Crushing Blow. The reasoning that a pure strength build can work in a deffensive build is that alot of items that have high deffense require alot of Strength, also as you have very low damage the + strength will add to your smite damage.

Helms:
Peasant Crown, One of the ugliest but most useful helm in the lld world. +1 skill, replife, vitality, frw, and okay deff.
As the new LLD101 rules havnt made mention of the use of breakable items we shall assume they are allowed (may change in the future)
With this we can eth glitch (search for this nifty trick to gain really high ethereal deffence socketables) grand crowns/ grim helms.
Rune words we could use in these are as follows: Lore, +1 skill damage, reduced by 7, resist light 30%.
Nadir: Some added def and +5 str, would probably make a lore instead if you get 2 sockets.
Radiance: Alot of added deffence!
Rare/magic. Ethereal helms with alot of deffence.

Armour:
Silks of the Victor: One of the only times this unique item may be considered mainly due to its sexy blue coloring +1 skill and decent def.
The Spirit Shroud: Probably the better choice, altho not the greatest def, it has the +1 skill, CBF, +rep life
Twitchthroe: One of the most useful smiter armours due to its +speed/fhr/stats/increased blocking If only it had more deffence. (dont try upgrading this for a lvl 2Cool
Eth Glitched High deffence armours. (probably best bet would be to pruby these
Rare/magic: Etheral High deffence Armours.

Amulets:
The Mahim-Oak Curio: Actually for a deffence build this amulet has alot to offer +10 def +10% def and +res/stats.
Angelic Amulet: In conjuction with an angelic ring this does have alot of + life/stats so makes a good starter option
Rare/Magic: +1 paladin skills, life/stats/resists etc.

Rings:
If your using an Angelic Amulet, 1 angelic ring is useful.
Rare: +stats/life ring/replenish etc
Crafted Blood Rings: +stats/life etc

Boots:
Goblin Toes, one of the most important itams in a smiter build +Crushing Blow is so valuable.
I would only suggest these others if you use another form of Crushing Blow.
Cow Kings, +20 dex
Sanders, +5 stats frw ar
Natalya's Soul Mesh Boots: High def, frw, resists
rare/magic: Ethereal High def boots.

Gloves:
Bloodfists, 40 life, 30fhr, 10ias
Sander's Taboo, 20ias 40life +50def with sanders boots.
Sigons gloves in conjuction with belt. = 30ias +10str
Crafted Crushing Blow gloves.
Deaths Gloves with Deaths belt. = 30 ias

Belts:
Deaths belt with gloves, CBF +15 all res
Sigons Belt with gloves, +def 20 life
Goldwrap Belt, 10ias
Crafted Openwounds belt,
Rare, Ethereal belt, fhr, stats, life,

Shields:
Rare/magc, Grim/Barbed Shield: +1pally, fhr, blocking, 2 sockets high def, etc
Spirit Akaran Targe: +2 skills, fhr, stats, Enhanced Damage.

Weapons:
Steel Cutlass; Very fast, 25 ias 50% open Wounds range 1.
Strength Cutlass; Fast 25% crushing blow, 20 strength +10 vita, range 1
Strength Flail; 25%CB +20 str10 vita, range 3
Rare/magic.. Cutlass/Flail/Warsceptor, +1 pally , 30ias, 2 soc's, ctc amplify damage etc.

Switch:
As much of a Holyshield Prebuff as you can.
2 x Spirits is cheap, +4 holyshield scepter + spirit is ideal.
as your damage is quite low, and the oponent may have unlimited Damage Reduce gear on (another new LLD101 rule that hasn't been re-listed) You may find it hard to kill that last little bit of life. Haveing a switch that can over come that is another option.

Charms:
40x 15life/def sc's

Socketables (prubies)(pamethysts)(+stats/life/res/ED%/Def jewels)

Code:
Skill Setup (Normal route)
      - 5 Holy Shield
      - 20 Smite
      - 9 concentration

Similar equipment to the Deffensive route but obviously less inclination towards Deffense.

Helm:
Pcrown; Hard to beat.
Magic/rare Circlet; +1 pally/life/stats/replife etc.

Armour:
Twitch,
Spirit Shroud

Deaths Gloves/belt:

Monk's Barbed Shield Of Deflecting 2os

+1 pally life/stats amu
+stats rings

Same weapons as the deffensive route:
With a Warscepter look for +3 concentration as the skills.

Charms.
40 x 15 life/moded sc's

Code:
The Lvl 28 build I would go for.
      - 5 Holy Shield
      - 20 Smite
      - 9 concentration

Helm:
Pcrown/Or some rediculously good circlet
Twitchthroe
Deaths belt
Sanders Gloves
Goblin Toes
Rare Barbed shield, +1 skills/deflecting etc.
+1 pala amulet life etc
+stat rings
+1 pala 30ias ctc amp Cutlass
Switch: +4 Holyshield scepter and spirit Sword.
With this you will hit fastest smite speed and be very effective.

The Lvl 29 Smiter (European Style LLD).

This build is where I have the majority of my lld smiter experience from. At lvl 29 the introduction of Shaels and soj's are the main 2 differences, but what a difference it makes. From my experience very few LLD melee even consider dueling you so I focused my build on making it highly effective vs higher lvld melee pubs and other lld smiters. For dueling casters and range, you are at a severe disadvantage and to be competetive you will probably need to invest heavily in bastardising your build where its simply a paladin that *can* smite but usually dosnt.

Code:
Skill Setup
      - 6 Holy Shield
      - 20 Smite
      - 9 concentration

I usually see 2 variations of succesful smiter builds, and these are both quite cheap to make.

Option 1
Pcrown
Spirit Shroud
String of Ears (15%damage reduce)
Goblin Toes
sojs (+1 skill rings)
+1 pally amulet life/stats/resisits/replenish etc.
+1 pally deflecting etc Barbed shield.
bloodfists
6 shaeld Military Pick

Option 2
Pcrown
Twitchthroe
String of Ears
Goblin Toes
Soj's
+1 pally amulet life/stats/resisits/replenish etc.
Rhyme Barbed Shield
Bloodfists
5 Shaeld Flail

Option 1 has more damage
Option 2 Has more Life and +1 range

I personally preffer option 2 mainly due to the fact that I find the + 1 range so useful. As previously mentioned, melee tend to stay away so your mainly dueling casters/ranged/other smiters. The extra range here is alot more beneficial imo. And not having lost a lvl 29 pure smiter set of duels on europe for over 3 years I think I can say that with some conviction.

Another option I can see working here would be a Warscepter, +1 pala skills, +3 conc, 30ias, amp.
Again tho this build would optimal for damage at a bp slower than the first 2 options. and still range 2.

The Lvl 30 smiter(The Hybrid).

At level 30 the smiter under goes another change it starts to compete with casters and also the skill Fanatascism allows for less ias required on items which again which expands the amount of items that can be used.
Firstly I will go through some of the simpler pure smite builds that still lurk at lvl 30.

Similar to a Lvl 29 build the lvl 30 pure smiter will either just add another +1 to holyshield and or make an attempt at getting fanatiscm.
Conc Build.
Code:
Skill Setup
      - 7 Holy Shield
      - 20 Smite
      - 9 concentration

It appears people tend to favour option 1 from the lvl 29 build as it dosnt require CBF from the shield opening it up for the use of an upgraded Sworback hold. If you go this route +2 Combat skill amulets and Circlets are more beneficial In my opinion as the Increase to Holyshield not only lowers how many points you place into dex for max block it increases the base damage of your shield which helps tremendously. Also you can Ideally get a +5 Holyshield scepter on switch.

Option 1
Pcrown / 2pcombat circ,life,etc
Spirit Shroud
Upped Goblin Toes
sojs (+1 skill rings)
+1pally +2pcomb amulet life/stats/resisits/replenish etc.
Upped Swordback
Upped Bloodfists
6 shaeld Military Pick

This Build is effective and relatively cheap Option 2 is also useable at lvl 30 and again U can now upgrade Twitchthroe/ Goblin toes/ Bloodfists. Just dont forget don't socket anything in the upgraded items that are above lvl 25 as this will make the requirements over lvl 30.

Smiters get alot more flexible tho when they start using the skill Fanaticism, and the ability to get this skill from a Warscepter/Devine Scepter free's up alot of skills that can be used to increase the smiters ability as a hybrid.

The 2 more comon Hybrids that go with Smite are FoH and Charge.

These two hybrids are almost entirely based on what weapon you choose to use. The weapon is probably what defines Hybrids. To Make full use of Hybrids, you will require your Warscepter/Devinescepter to contain Fanatacism and or FoH/Conviction (if your a smite/foh) The reason for this is simply to save skill points to build up your other skills. With Fanaticism skilled on a scepter you can completely ignore the Offensive aura tree and you can improve your Combat Skills.

With a Smite/Foh Build
I would I go with a Vitality build with low requirement warscepter for smiting and Foh.

Code:
Skill Setup
      - 7 Holy Shield
      - 20 Smite
      - 7 Holy Shock (and Pre-reqs)
and 1 skill to play with perhaps 1 into salvation/cold resist?

You should be aiming for atleast 500 foh damage whilst a good Foh damage will be closer to 600. As you can see this skill is more of a skill to chip away at opponents, either to make casters/ranged come closer or to really annoy some melee.

Your Smite setup will be basically that of option 1 but with a different weapon.

Smite/FoH
Pcrown / 2pcombat circ,life,etc
Spirit Shroud
Upped Goblin Toes
sojs (+1 skill rings)
+1pally +2pcomb amulet life/stats/resisits/replenish etc.
Upped Swordback
Upped Bloodfists
Warscepter 1-3 fanat (enough ias to hit the fastest smite bp) other +'s to the weapon would be +1pallyskills/+2 combat/offensiv auras, 5%ctc amplify damage, 2 sockets, rep life etc etc.

Smite/FoH (Your weapon switch)
Only difference being a High resistance spirit Shield and a FoH stick.
a you should be able to shop a minimum of a +3 FoH +3 Conviction Sceptor. I would personaly aim for a scepter with +2 Combat skills so you can use this setup to prebuff your Holyshield whilst also adding decent damage to your FoH.

[Edit:] I will fill in the rest of the lvl 30 section and the rest of the information later. But I'm tired and out of time for now. I'll complete later. But for now hope it's been helpful.

Last edited by Hades on Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:50 am; edited 2 times in total
skulls

BNet Acct/Realm: Gun Barrel, Tx. Never pick a fight with an old man, he will jus kill you.
11.97 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:32 am    Post subject:  

Good job..looking forward to the rest of your information Smile

There is absolutely no substitute for a genuine lack of preparation.

ISO:VLLD
8min dmg jewels
dual dmg jewels
+10 min dmg eth replinish throwing spears
eth repair armor

ISO:LLD
dual dmg jewels
eth repair armor
hvy min dmg eth replinish throwing spears
+3ww barb helm
when is this thread closing?
Torrent

BNet Acct/Realm: Torrent@USEast
13.37 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject:  

Yayyyy! Saved me the trouble. I'll just edit out the "ill do this later" from my 9-18 guide. gj

I don't want a cycle of recycled revenge

I don't wanna follow Death And All of His Friends
http://lld101.com/viewtopic.php?t=44473 (for my own reference)
Hades

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:52 am    Post subject:  

Cheers lads. Done a little update with the Smite/FoH build. Will Add the Smite/Charge titan variation later this week hopefully. Any suggestions/thoughts/critiques/innuendo's are welcome. Very Happy
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]  
 Forum index » Diablo 2 Discussion Section » LLD Discussion » LLD Guides
Jump to: