LLD101 Forum Index LLD101
Low Level Dueling in 1.12

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:46 pm
All times are UTC - 8
 Forum index » Diablo 2 Discussion Section » LLD Discussion » LLD Guides
[30] BvA
Page 1 of 2 [30 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Meegz ?

BNet Acct/Realm: *meegz @ east ladder
39.74 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject:  [30] BvA
Subject description: Jinquai revealed!

Hah, I know you east nl players are just DYING to know how my barb is so godly right? /end sarcasm though my barb is pretty nice, and have yet to find a better geared legit barb on east. i'll go over cheap options as well as the more expensive ones.

A bva barb focuses on versatility. You dont rely on defense for killing other barbs or other melee-type chars, you need to overwhelm them with damage and how fast you put it out there. Every lld should have maxblock with some kind of shield, so unless you only want to duel casters, make sure you get blocking.

I do not use dupes on my lld chars even though the majority of east nl does, though I'm not saying they arent superior, I just like the fact that I'm 100% legit. Here we go

Gear:

Helm- In my eyes this is your most important piece of gear. Your optimal helm is a +3 ww +3 increased speed +3 natural resist artisans xx of the squid. if you get one of these, i commend you. try for any helm with +whirlwind on it, it will save you many points which can vastly improve your increased speed skill. Socketing for whirlwind barbs is kinda iffy, they are very similar to vlld jabbers. You need at least 1 piece of gear with 20% ed jewels to really get a good effect from max jewels and charms. I use 3x ed/stat jewels in my helm on my barb, and i believe this is the best place to put them. 20ed jewels come up roughly equivalent to 22 max jewels, and you can get up to 15 stats (60 base life) off of your jewels as well. a couple of cheap options include pcrown and a 3 soc barb helm with battle orders, nat resist, increased speed (much easier and cheaper to find)

Armor- I myself prefer an artisans xx of the squid filled with 20-24 max jewels. If you decide to use a pcrown, I suggest you use this piece of armor to fill with your ed/stat jewels. Another very viable options (and one i sported myself for a while) is a peace runeword. With at least lvl 3 crit strike, you are looking at an extra 30ish% chance of doing double damage. The slow missiles is kinda bm vs casters/zons and it lacks the sex appeal of an artisans/squid. Another option (that I would love to use) is a 24 fhr 50+ life 2 soc rare with resists/stats/whatever makes you happy. Ed/stat jewels if you dont have them elsewhere, max jewels if you do have ed/stat jewels elsewhere.

Belt- you are going to want 2-3 different belt switches. 1st (most versatile probably) is a 15% dr 15 mdr string of ears. Honestly, you dont have to have the other belts I'm going to suggest, as long as you have this one. If you dont wanna have belt switches, at least make sure you do have 15% dr 15 mdr string though. I also like to have an open wounds belt (extra life, res, fhr are bonuses) for sorcs and necro's. Another belt option is keeping a 24 fhr 50+ life +light + cold res belt for dueling cold sorcs and v/t pallys

Boots- there are 3 boot options here, all of which are very valid at various situations. #1 and the most versatile is a set of 30 frw 10 fhr (20 fhr if you have some old legit ones) with cold + light resist. With a set of boots like this, you can leave these on all the time and be good to go in virtually any situation. I myself use 2 different sets of boots, a set of rares like above and a set of sanders boots. vs anyone i dont need the cold or light res for, i use these boots. the 10 extra frw, dex, str, and ar is very useful and if you cant afford the boots mentioned above, use these for your all around boots. the next option and really only for dueling in bvb or vs shape druids is a set of goblin toes. generally barbs and druids have incredible life, so the crushing blow will be very useful. these arent necessary, only keep a set if you have space for em.

Gloves In my opinion, there are 2 valid choices for all around gloves, and 2 others for certain situations. The first and my own choice is a set of bloodfists. 5 min dmg 30 fhr 40 life is outstanding, and hard to give up. the only others i would consider outside of certain situations are sanders gloves. 20 ias and 40 life is very nice if you plan on using concentrate to attack people. the 2 situational gloves would be both crafted, one kb one cb. the kb gloves are outstanding for smiters and zealots, absolutely destroys their rhythm when they get kb'd and gives them less chance of hitting you. the cb gloves are under the same situation as bvb and shape druids, they will give you a great boost to damage when you get a cb vs a 2k life fury druid or barb. yet again, only keep these around if you have the space.

Jewelry There are a few very valid options here. I prefer all rares, with an emphasis on ar, stats, mana, life, and resists. Mana is very important for barbs since ww takes so much, so do your best to get it on every piece of your jewelry if you can. If you think your ar is too low and you are having trouble hitting, use some angelics to boost it up. Vs melee chars the dtm will also help compensate for the loss of mana from your jewelry. Soj's are also an option for using peace since it will help boost your crit strike level and also add quite a bit of mana. The downside is the mdr bug with light damage on the sojs.

[/b]Weapon[/b] There are 3 options here, and I'll go over the pro's and cons of all of them. #1- Shael'd + max'd weapons (naga, zweihander, knout, executioner sword) Barbarians need 34 ias on a base 0 weapon to make the breakpoint for 4 frame whirlwind. That means 2 shaels in the naga, zweihander, or knout, and 3 shaels in the executioner. For the rest of the sockets, 20 ed 15 max jewels are the highest damaging options, though damage/ed/-req works great for the executioner especially due to its high stat requirements, though in the zweihander or naga it can be a great stat saver as well. #2- Honor runeword with the same weapon choices. You dont hit the ias bp with using honor, but you do gain some very nice bonuses. +1 all skills, 25% deadly strike, 10 rep life, and high damage. I myself use one of the shael'd/jewel'd nagas paired with an honor naga in my offhand. I have speed in one side and damage on the other, and I like this the best. The last option would be a rare weapon with very high ed and enough ias to make your ww breakpoint. Its like a souped up version of the shael/jewel weapons usually, though it takes a very nice rare to beat either honor or a shael/jewel'd weapon, so be very picky when using one of these.

Shield- There are a few options here as well, use as they suit you. #1- Artisans Tower shield of Deflection. 3 sockets + best blocking % for a magic shield. I dont like this, since I find I can get better mods from different shields, though this option does give the most straight damage. Socket max dmg or max/res jewels in this
#2- Whitstands set shield. The best blocking shield for pretty much the whole game and we can use it at low lvls Smile. Use this if you want to save the most stats. Half freeze duration is outstanding on this as well. I suggest a 15 max/dtm or ed/dtm/dex jewel in this.
#3- Rhyme grim or tower shield. Cannot be frozen + resists + nice blocking makes this the most common choice for shield among 99% of low lvl duelers. You do gain a lot with this shield, but yet again, you lose a lot of damage by using this over the other options. I would use a whitstands before this shield.
#4- Swordback hold. My own personal choice of shield here, I love the nice % block that it has but more than anything I absolutely adore the 50% open wounds. This is a lifesaver in so many duels, especially vs other barbs and melee chars. Socket this like you would a whitstands, 15 max/dtm or ed/dex/dtm.

switch weapons should be +2 warcries or spirit swords to boost your bo levels, though honor weapons can be used for temps (and give 20 rep life bonus when you switch, nice for long duels, my very first lld barb used this switch). a 5 bo helm, some +max res gear, and any other gear switches are good to keep in your stash, just try to keep it gm, this is lld.

Charms- The best things to use here are 3 max 20 ar 15 life scs, 3 max 20 ar 5 frw or 3 frw scs, or resist/frw scs. I suggest getting 60 or so frw from charms to be able to keep up with amazons and casters. Mobility is huge in lld, so make sure you arent slow or you will die a lot. You are going to want about 85-90 extra cold res and light resist over 75 shown on your screen to take care of cold sorcs and conviction -res for foh. So frw/res scs are probably the best way to go. After you have your resist and frw covered, fill the rest of the spaces up with max/ar/life charms. As mentioned above 3/20/15 life scs are your best bet, though 10max/ar/6 str, dex or 25 life gcs and 6 max/ar/5 str, 5 dex or 20 life lcs work as well.

Whirlwind barbs are not cheap to make, so I dont suggest making one if you cant get max/ar/stat charms and res/frw charms of some kind.

If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to post them.

The stats on my barb are 1850 life, 1300 damage per wep, 75ish frw, and max resist in nightmare and all positives in hell (outside of psn)
Mimes

BNet Acct/Realm: e/sc/l Mimes., Mimes-LLD, Justin27 and 1338
34.96 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject:  

why not IK gloves + belt? Huge def + stats + 25 ias. You have the str for them if your using an honor naga. Just curious as to why you decided against IK.

1,000th post on 12/12/07
KnightXENO2

BNet Acct/Realm: West Ladder
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject:  

Only reason to use the IK gloves would be for getting max block for BvB as a switch (or if a crazy stat weapon like an exe sword). The extra dex/str isn't doing much for you though vs casters.

Compared to 30fhr/40life + 15% dr or more FHR/life depending on belt.... bloodfists win easily

ste91

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject:  

I'd just like to point out that if you can't find a nice pair of 10FHR/30FRW/Tri Res boots, then Natalyas are a very cheap and viable option, because they give 40 FRW and both of the resistances that you will need to stack (light and cold). Very useful vs cold sorcs or FOH.
Wank

BNet Acct/Realm: Imp StormsRaider
57.98 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject:  

ste91 wrote:
I'd just like to point out that if you can't find a nice pair of 10FHR/30FRW/Tri Res boots, then Natalyas are a very cheap and viable option, because they give 40 FRW and both of the resistances that you will need to stack (light and cold). Very useful vs cold sorcs or FOH.

I like the stamina part of natalyas, on norm rushed barbs if you have inc speed on your helm +1 to inc stamina is just a waste.

Equipped Lvl 30's:
Froggy-Leap Attacker, Vidala- Bow, Starly-Wind, Haunter-Bonenec, Dragonair-Fissure, Vileplume-Psn Jav, Clefairy- Wc

http://img104.imagevenue.com/loc1100/th_30982_ImpAvatar_122_1100lo.jpg(didnt want to lose that link Surprised
mike_roch

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject:  

KnightXENO2 wrote:
Only reason to use the IK gloves would be for getting max block for BvB as a switch (or if a crazy stat weapon like an exe sword). The extra dex/str isn't doing much for you though vs casters.

Compared to 30fhr/40life + 15% dr or more FHR/life depending on belt.... bloodfists win easily

Also the ias wont help ww. Only weapon ias works with ww.

Wank

57.98 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject:  

Scrappy Doo wrote:
KnightXENO2 wrote:

Also the ias wont help ww. Only weapon ias works with ww.

The extra 40 stats = 20% ed from str, and more ar/def from dex (forgot ammounts) Ik gloves + belt = about 125 dmg difference, + some ar/res. Fhr never really matters on a ww barb.

Equipped Lvl 30's:
Froggy-Leap Attacker, Vidala- Bow, Starly-Wind, Haunter-Bonenec, Dragonair-Fissure, Vileplume-Psn Jav, Clefairy- Wc

http://img104.imagevenue.com/loc1100/th_30982_ImpAvatar_122_1100lo.jpg(didnt want to lose that link Surprised
Mimes

BNet Acct/Realm: e/sc/l Mimes., Mimes-LLD, Justin27 and 1338
34.96 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject:  

well ias for concing or meleeing (if your out of mana).

You do get a lot of stats, and since you ARE BvA and you have the Str for Naga, you will have more then enough for IK. Might as well keep it in stash just in case. 6 spaces total.

1,000th post on 12/12/07
Wank

57.98 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject:  

Mimes wrote:
well ias for concing or meleeing (if your out of mana).

You do get a lot of stats, and since you ARE BvA and you have the Str for Naga, you will have more then enough for IK. Might as well keep it in stash just in case. 6 spaces total.

The best BvA I ever had was actually a bvb... I used honor naga/robo naga, and got 1.5k dmg on both hands, although the 1.3k life was a bummer, nobody could take more then 3 whirls, usually took 2. It took 219 str to get that high though.

Equipped Lvl 30's:

luminaire-x

BNet Acct/Realm: useast ladder
5.10 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject:  

this is very similair to my bva.. its not complete but im using ik, def armor, looking for atod, sanders, mana/ar rings, and 1 barb/life/mana ammy.. im looking for a ww helm but atm im trying to get a 2os 170 def visionary helm, thats my bvb set up and its decent. nice guide just dont understand why no ik:(
skulls

BNet Acct/Realm: Gun Barrel, Tx. Never pick a fight with an old man, he will jus kill you.
11.97 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject:  

Mimes wrote:
why not IK gloves + belt? Huge def + stats + 25 ias. You have the str for them if your using an honor naga. Just curious as to why you decided against IK.

vouched..keep in stash for special occasions

There is absolutely no substitute for a genuine lack of preparation.

ISO:VLLD
8min dmg jewels
dual dmg jewels
+10 min dmg eth replinish throwing spears
eth repair armor

ISO:LLD
dual dmg jewels
eth repair armor
hvy min dmg eth replinish throwing spears
+3ww barb helm
when is this thread closing?
meitou

4.11 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:34 am    Post subject:  

Nothing beats IK glove for ww barb, unless you don't want block at all, which is silly for any lld build.

Belt can be IK, Soe, death, or even some rare belt depends on who you are dueling with.
ste91

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject:  

To minimize the amount of dex I have to use on my barb I use IK Gloves and Sanders boots for the extra dex. Of course I could have gone for CK boots but that would mean losing FRW and too much messing around swapping charms to even it out again. Before I remade my barb I didn't have block at all, and for some duels it really was annoying...
Although I might remake him AGAIN so that I can use Whitstan instead of trying to find an ATOD. It will be cheaper and will give me much more life, even though I'll have less damage.
Meegz ?

BNet Acct/Realm: *meegz @ east ladder
39.74 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject:  

meitou wrote:
Nothing beats IK glove for ww barb, unless you don't want block at all, which is silly for any lld build.

Belt can be IK, Soe, death, or even some rare belt depends on who you are dueling with.

lets look at that statement shall we?

stats on ik gloves 40. stats used on ik gloves 31. 31x4= 124 life. kk

bfists have 40 base life. 30 fhr = 6x scs, 6x 15 = 90. 90 + 40 = 130 life.

yes you get an extra 9% enhanced damage from using the ik gloves, but you also get 5 min dmg off of bfists which im pretty sure ends up with more avg dmg output.

so explain to me how ik gloves are superior again? if you cant do the math, dont say something is superior. the game revolves around it, so use it.

and @ ste. i wish i hadn't built my barb's str around sanders (yeah, minor f*ck up on my part, w/e it still works). so i could have saved that 10 pts to dex for vita and just used sanders for when i was using a shield, or be able to swap out for res boots easily

btw, i DO NOT recommend an atod for a lvl 30 barb. whitstands and swordback are both far superior, even a rhyme is better due to the cbf. the visible damage gain compared to the stat loss with whitstands or the open wounds damage with swordback isnt even close to make it worth using in my honest opinion. if you do fine with atod, praise to you. you'd probably do better with a whitstands or a swordback.
Chewie

BNet Acct/Realm: AWOL
16.10 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:30 am    Post subject:  

Meegz ? wrote:

bfists have 40 base life. 30 fhr = 6x scs, 6x 15 = 90. 90 + 40 = 130 life.

Not all people use FHR charms; I wouldn't include that in a "life-value" analysis of glove superiority.

Page 1 of 2 [30 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
 Forum index » Diablo 2 Discussion Section » LLD Discussion » LLD Guides
Jump to: