LLD101 Forum Index LLD101
Low Level Dueling in 1.12

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:18 am
All times are UTC - 8
 Forum index » Diablo 2 Discussion Section » LLD Discussion » LLD Guides
vLLD Smiter
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]  
Torrent

BNet Acct/Realm: Torrent@USEast
13.37 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:48 pm    Post subject:  vLLD Smiter
Subject description: More choices than Wendy's sides!

This is my guide for a vLLD Smiter, to help me put some ideas on "paper" so I don't have to memorize it all. Keep in mind I'm doing this for me, not you, but feel free to leech. I'm choosing to make a Smiter guide (and possibly the character) because frankly I don't like Sacadins, but I don't think I've ever strayed from Paladins...ever, and I've always been interested in vLLD but never got around to making a character. I suppose heprea inspired me a bit. Smiter gear, for the most part, is also a lot cheaper than a Sacadin's, since it relies on higher defense and stats rather than max damage jewels and a fancy as-close-to-65/121-as-you-can-get shield. There is also a lot more variety for vLLD Smite gear.

Gear

Helm

Sigon's Visor
This would be my first choice. 60 defense is as high as you can get on a helm, plus it can help add to the +100 defense bonus for 3 Sigon pieces. Unfortunately, it can only get one socket, which I would use for a flawed ruby.

Rare eth Crown
See below @ "Rare eth Ancient".

3os Crown
This is the crowd favorite for this build. 50+ defense on superior and 3 sockets for 3 flawed rubies (51 life). Perfect if you're not planning on using Death's Guard.

Armor

Rare eth Ancient
Probably the best choice, but pretty hard to find the perfect one. A few prefixes and suffixes on the armor are more or less required to make it worth using. The right combination will beat any other armor anytime.

Prefixes:
Strong or Sturdy - xx% Enhanced Defense
Mechanic's - Adds Two Sockets
*any resist mod or even no mod will work here*

Suffixes:
Self-Repair - Repairs Durability
Strength - +Strength
Dexterity - +Dexterity (hopefully I didn't need to repeat those)
The Fox - +Life
Balance or Equilibrium - Faster Hit Recovery

Mechanic's and Self-Repair are the definite required mods. Enhanced defense is the most sought after, following those.

4os Ancient
An E-glitched Ancient wouldn't really work here. A vLLD Smiter requires jewels that may not be the best, but don't suck either. If your armor is going to break, your jewels are lost as well. Not a smart choice.

I would try to reduce my required strength to only 70, because that is the base strength you'll have with certain gear equipped. For either of these armors, you'll need two good -15req jewels, preferably with str, dex, and/or dtm. Use any extra sockets for flawed rubies.

Gloves

Sigon's Gage
The only choice if you're using the 3 Sigon combo for +100 defense. +10 strength on 60 strength required gloves gives you 70 total. I'd try to stick with that.

Death's Hand
Use these ONLY if you aren't using the 3 Sigon combo. Gives the same ias bonus as Sigon gloves.

Belt

Death's Guard
This is my first choice because of the Cannot be Frozen mod (cbf). You can use this with or without the Death's set gloves.

Sigon's Wrap
Sigon's belt should be used if you aren't using the helm, and are instead using a Crown. I probably don't need to mention that this is definitely not the belt of choice with Death's gloves.

Boots

Sigon's Sabot
Sigon's boots have cold resist and 20frw, the highest possible for level 9. Also contributes to the 3 Sigon combo for +100 defense.

Rare fcr/fhr/dex boots
Basically, use these if you can afford them. If you still want the Sigon bonus, you'll have to wear the gloves, belt and helm. If you come across a character with freezing, have Death's belt and Sigon's boots stashed.

Hotspurs
For 15 life and fire res. Also, see above.

Amulet

Rare 5str/5dex Ammy
Not really another choice here. Other desirable mods are dtm and half freeze duration (hfd), if Death's belt is not being used.

Rings

Rare 2str/2dex Rings
Also the best and only choice. There aren't too many other useful mods. A little +life and +mana is available on vLLD rings. Since you don't need any attack rating, look for rings that don't have it, because they'll be cheaper. If, however, you are using Sacrifice or normal attack on switch, you will probably want ar on these, since you won't get much anywhere else.

Weapon

Crushflange
My favorite, and probably yours too. 33% crushing blow and +15 strength make this the best choice. The only problem here is that any character with a little Damage Reduced by X (dr) will be able to tank the remainder of your hits where cb stops working (this occurs when your opponent gets down to very low life). My best advice would be to have a jeweled Sacrifice scepter and jeweled shield on switch.

Gnasher
Another good choice. 20% cb, 50% open wounds and +8 strength. Some people might consider the cb percentage too low, and opt to use Crushflange. If you choose this route, know that you'll need to spend another 7 stat points for strength to make up for the loss from Crushflange. There is also the possibility that high life replenish will cancel the ow, defeating the purpose of using The Gnasher. This is why most people go with Crushflange and jeweled gear on switch.

Shield

Vulpine Bone/Spiked Shield of Deflecting
The crowd favorite of vLLD Smite shields. Both are feasible options for different reasons. Bone shields have a higher inherent chance to block than Spiked shields do. This will save you a little bit of stats, giving you a bit of extra life. Spiked shields, on the other hand, will give you more damage than a Bone shield. This could possibly give you the edge on a character with enough dr to null the damage on a Bone shield, but maybe not a Spiked shield. A rare with resists or hfd as well is even better. Make sure this shield has two sockets, and use them for stat, defense and dtm pumping like all the others.

Charms

You'll use your basic 15 life lcs here, for the most part. You can get up to 32 faster hit recovery with a rare Armor and Shield alone, so fhr charms won't be needed in that case. If you don't have enough from gear to hit at least the 27 fhr breakpoint, grab a couple 12% fhr grand charms. Fill the spaces above or below, whichever you think is better, with +dex small charms, or +str small charms if you want to glitch something.

Skills

9 Smite
7 Prayer
4 Defiance

A point out of Smite or Prayer to put in Sacrifice is not a bad idea if you can't get your hands on a Sacrifice scepter. That's really all to know for skills. No gear at this level will increase them at all.

Comments

Yes please.

Last edited by Torrent on Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Visual Tactics
LLD101 Staff

BNet Acct/Realm: West NL
47.69 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:11 am    Post subject:  

You thinking arena?, cause that would definitely affect your gear.

fuh

BNet Acct/Realm: Not Active
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:40 am    Post subject:  

Visual Tactics wrote:

indeed Razz

heprea
pokemon fanatic

BNet Acct/Realm: europe laddars
8.01 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:11 am    Post subject:  

Quote:
3os Crown
This is the crowd favorite for this build. 50+ defense on superior and 3 sockets for 3 flawless rubies (51 life). Perfect if you're not planning on using Death's Guard.

u must have meant flawled rubies? :) though the life amount is right ^^

other option for shield (or actualy this is what u might eventualy want) would be rare eth/repair bone/spiked shield with DTM/30/20/at least 30%ed/s2

also strong bone/spiked shield of deflection with 2 sock is ok too

also for charms i beleave that def/life large charms are possible for 9lvl... not 100% sure though also i beleave that smiters dont require any fhr

thats all for now

Puddles

BNet Acct/Realm: Mr_Puddles/USEast Non-Ladder
5.38 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:54 am    Post subject:  

What level is this dueler going to be? If 12, I'd suggest a replenish build instead of a defense one.
heprea
pokemon fanatic

BNet Acct/Realm: europe laddars
8.01 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:55 am    Post subject:  

Mr_Puddles wrote:
What level is this dueler going to be? If 12, I'd suggest a replenish build instead of a defense one.

vlld = 9 :) (only a very few exceptions are allowed to call vlld when they are 12lvl)

Torrent

BNet Acct/Realm: Torrent@USEast
13.37 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:20 am    Post subject:  

heprea wrote:
u must have meant flawled rubies? Smile though the life amount is right ^^

hehe thanks for pointing that out Embarassed

heprea wrote:
other option for shield (or actualy this is what u might eventualy want) would be rare eth/repair bone/spiked shield with DTM/30/20/at least 30%ed/s2

also strong bone/spiked shield of deflection with 2 sock is ok too

also for charms i beleave that def/life large charms are possible for 9lvl... not 100% sure though also i beleave that smiters dont require any fhr

thats all for now

the shield...yes, it is what i'd want, but it'd take a while to find. also, life/def lcs at lvl 9 are gonna be too expensive for me. i would only be able to get 2-3 defense per charm, which isnt really worth hunting for a bunch of them. of course if someone has some, id be glad to steal them if i do build this character.

Visual Tactics wrote:

how so?

btw thanks all for teh quick replies
Visual Tactics
LLD101 Staff

47.69 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject:  

In the arena you'd be only against sorcs, other smiters, and sometimes necs so most of your duels your def won't come in any use.
sorcs - def + blocking wont help
other smiters - def wont help, blocking may
summon and/or sac nec - def + blocking would be nice, but you can always switch gear when dueling them

In the arena +rep life is probably the most important thing. Also prayer won't be of much use in most cases since your mana would get drained rather quickly. But in non arena stuff +dtm and prayer/defiance works well again meele.

For any set up, rings/ammy you want +4-5 rep life with +str or +dex as a starter and other mods 1 dr/+life/mdr is are nice as well.

vs sorcs: you want as much rep life as possible. something like 4x flawed skull (eth) gothic + 3x flawed skull (eth) helm.

vs other smiters you want some combination of high rep life + dr +prayer.
- hsarus shield gives you 10 str and -2dr, if they are sac/smite this might not be the best choice though
- you will need some source of mana if you want to keep prayer up sicne dtm will do nothing.
- get your mana high enough (probably 100++) so it replenishes better when u need it
- Civerb's ammy might not be a nice choice here: 40% regen mana/+4 rep life along with maybe some flawed skulls which give rep/regen mana as well

gnasher/crushflange + deaths = 2.7aps (9 frame - 26% ias required)
gnasher/crushflange + bloodfists = 2.2aps (11 frame - 0% ias required)

I've never tried but Blood Crescent scimitar (33% OW, 15%ias, 15%ll, 15%resis, 15life) could be an option.
Blood Crescent(15ias) + deaths(30ias = 3.5 ApS (7 frame - 40%ias required)
Blood Crescent(15ias) + bloodfists(10ias) = 3.1 ApS (8 frame - 15%ias required)

Visual Tactics
LLD101 Staff

47.69 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject:  

Also something to think about if you make a smiter vs a sac nec where you can't break is bone armour for the final hits you can have:
4x Flawed Skull pally shield = attacker takes 8x4=32 damage
6x Flawed Topaz military pick = 1-14x6 = 6-84 lightning damage
on your switch and use sac/norm attack.

Mr_Bilson

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:00 am    Post subject:  

my vlld smiter has gear that is basicly throwen together however i did use an eth glitched 4os armor. i put 2 -15req ~5-8life jewels (i forget exact amounts now) in it and 2 flawed rubys. this brings the strength req under 70 while still giving much life and defence, + the jewels are not too expensive (at least in my experiance getting them)
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]  
 Forum index » Diablo 2 Discussion Section » LLD Discussion » LLD Guides
Jump to: