LLD101 Forum Index LLD101
Low Level Dueling in 1.12

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri May 31, 2024 12:00 am
All times are UTC - 8
 Forum index » Diablo 2 Discussion Section » General Discussion
How Many Here Admit to "Pay for Play"
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 1 of 8 [115 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 6, 7, 8 Next
wfg-dude

BNet Acct/Realm: Long Beach, CA
158.70 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:02 am    Post subject:  How Many Here Admit to "Pay for Play"
Subject description: Do You Ebay?

I don't know why people shy away from admitting they pay to play a game. They act as if not doing so makes you more elite or something. I've played World of Warcraft (for a short time) which cost me $15 a month. I also currently subscribe to Xbox online which runs about the same...not to mention paying $50 per game and sometimes a few bucks here and there to get new player maps or upgrades to the game.

So, Warcraft, Starcraft, and Diablo are the only non subscription MMORPG style games that seem to be popular these days. Warcraft and Starcraft don't have the uniqueness of Diablo in that with Diablo you have to build a character up to "killing" status. That is what makes Diablo unique... it is the only game or at least one of very few where you must build your character from scratch and you have about 1/10,000,000 chance of finding all perfect gear for your character on your own.

That is why trading was implemented. If I'm a sorceress and I find a sword it is practically useless to me and if you find an orb and you are a barbarian then it is practically useless to you...therefore we trade and we're both happy.

This, of course, spawned people actually selling virtual items online. Now, to anyone who actually goes out into the maps and tries finding things (mf'ing) you know the chance of finding a jah and a ber (for making the runeword Enigma) are astronomically LOW! Even running a bot (automated way of playing and mf'ing without having to do the work yourself) takes months to find those runes on your own.

So, how is it that every person on this site or any other owns an Enigma? They also all own a grief, an exile, a lastwish, and probably a hoto, cta, botd, etc, etc, etc.

Some could argue they found something really nice and traded for those items. These are teh same people that claim they found something so nice and so original that they happen to have 500 sojs on hand at all times.

So, here is the thread where you can be proud and admit you ebay to play Diablo. If you act pure then I'm guessing you are in denial. 99.9999% of everyone pays to play every game in one way or another.

I admit I've ebayed items for this game. For instance: I'm rolling spirits and insights on ladder ATM. If you've ever done this then you know it takes about 10 rolls (or more) to hit desireable mods. I'm currently rolling about 8 spirits and 5 insights = 13 x around 10 rolls = I need 130 or more Hel runes! Even when I ran a bot back in 1.10 I never found that many hel runes at the countess or anywhere else for that matter. So, I busted out my credit card and paid $.99 for each lot of 50. Some might think that is crazy...let me explain my reasoning. I realize you can find this stuff but it takes a minimum of 30-40 runs at countess to find a hel rune. Assuming you don't take breaks and don't use maphack then you are talking a couple hours MINIMUM to find ONE hel rune. I needed a minimum of 150 hel runes so we're talking over 300 hours of playing time devoted solely to finding hel runes. Not including the messages from friends to help them with one thing or another, transferring items you've found, fail to joins, temp bans, etc, etc, etc.

I don't know how you feel about that but I make a LOT of money per hour and I'd rather spend 300 hours dueling or chatting with friends or w/e... not mf'ing countess for a couple hel runes. Worth the $3 I paid to not be staring at the computer screen hoping to catch a glimpse of the ever elusive tower Shocked

I haven't paid for the majority of items I have...I've traded for high end stuff too. However, in some cases $$$ just makes more sense to me. In fact, I'd go as far to say that paying $$$ is smarter or more "1337" than saying you NEVER pay for anything...cuz to me that just makes you someone that likes working harder... not smarter. Or, in Diablo terms, a Noob!

I can hear your responses already... "I'm elite...I never pay" or "I find everything on my own or trade for it"

My response... ya right! Finding elite items takes FOREVER! Running a bot 24/7 increases your chances but assuming you DON'T bot... how often do you find elite items worthy of trade for huge Diablo wealth??? I can answer that question very easily... go try shopping a +holy shield war scepter and tell me how many days it takes you... assuming you even know how to shop one. If you can't even shop a holy shield scepter with gold in town...how am I supposed to believe you found a zod rune or an eth 4socket polearm , etc , etc.

Now, this goes both ways...I've also SOLD stuff via ebay as well. I've made over $50 last year. Not a lot... but I didn't put that many things up for auction. I prefer to save elite items to trade for other elite low dueling items.

How about you??? Your thoughts???

Cool Sweet Justice IMHO!!!!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger 
Elusive

BNet Acct/Realm: *elusive-
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:40 am    Post subject:  

HOLY ESSAY BATMAN

i know of several who buy/sell on east nl. myself included. i really dont have a problem with it because to me, currency is interchangeable.
Weaj
LLD101 Staff

BNet Acct/Realm: US East Ladder & NL *Weaj *Weaj. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
39.43 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject:  

I personally don't pay for the items I have, I find it more gratifying when I find items myself, then again... I play way too much and sometimes I do wish I would buy things, Don't have a credit card is one problem but even so, I just don't have too much money, but I have the time.

Dao Jones

BNet Acct/Realm: *Dao_Jones, Bi-Realmsual.
33.66 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:22 am    Post subject:  

I must be one of those people in denial, because I never paid real money for an in-game item. I think in my case the reasoning was that I was just never a serious enough player to warrant even spending 3 bucks for 150 Hel runes (which is admitted a pretty good deal).

I used to mock eBayers back in the day, but Breakbeatz had a pretty good point when he was forced to defend himself (which he usually was) - he basically said "my time is worth more to me than my money". (Not sure if that's exactly what he said, but that's a reasonable summary.) At the time I didn't really pay it much mind, but in retrospect that's not an unreasonable perspective at all.

It doesn't work for me, because as an entrenched "casual gamer" I couldn't even stand mf'ing for more than maybe an hour once every few days, but if you're someone who is really serious about playing this game (and many LLDers are), it's practical from a cost-benefit perspective to cough up a few bucks to circumvent 100s of lost hours doing repetitive mf'ing.

I used to make the argument that "if you pay to play, why bother playing at all?", but I realize that I erred in seeing that argument only from my perspective. For me, the fun is in kicking around and "playing" the game. For someone like BB, the fun lies in building and perfecting a dueler. I'm an explorer - he's an engineer. I didn't need awesome items and he doesn't need to waste time playing the odds that he'll find them.

It's really just a matter of what you enjoy more. Some people enjoy finding that awesome, game-defining item on a lucky drop, while others would rather spend time doing something else. Both perspectives are legitimate. *Especially* when some people on here could probably build a pretty credible dueler with the money they make in just two hours' worth of work.

The New LLD101 splash page (Props to Shieron)
breakbeatz2
Victim of the BAN BLUDGEON

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject:  

There's no good argument against an individual who ebays. Some people think that ebaying is wrong because it encourages duping, botting, and it's not continuous with the D2 fantasy world. However, you can't blame the individual ebay buyer for these problems.

I ebay because I want godly items and the money is very little to me. However, even if the money is significant to a person, they can should spend it how they want, and if buying D2 items maximizes their utility, they should do it.

A lot of people say things like "only nerds would rather have items than dollars," yet they have accounts full of D2 characters. If they truly believed this, they would sell their characters. Every person that doesn't sell their D2 characters is choosing D2 items over real money.
Zolas

BNet Acct/Realm: WoW Perenold
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject:  

I spent about $40 on a 08 visc, some 3/ar/lifers, and the name Taipei (My kitty) Very Happy
Kody

0.03 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject:  

i use to think ebaying was "noobish" lol but i forget what thread but breakbeatz explained it in a very reasonable manner and it changed my view of ebaying lol

edit: also i have yet to pay for anything in d2 as well

Last edited by Kody on Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Waramp

0.59 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject:  

the only reason everyone has a nigma, exile, fort, etc is because the small amount of hrs found have been duped into astronomical numbers, making them as common and cheap as a pgem. i personally have not paid any money for this game (other than the original d2 cd keys. i got the exp cd from my uncle). i find im doing quite well with the game too without having paid any money. the occasional friend quitting doesnt hurt either Wink

http://forums.d2jsp.org/index.php?showuser=246043
Thc-Matt

BNet Acct/Realm: *xzerox7 east nl
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject:  

Some of my buddiez buy alot of stuff from sites. One of my friends bought his whole zealer gear. I dont have a problem with it but i dont buy my stuff cause im always broke too many chicks drain my cash Cool
breakbeatz2

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject:  

The hookers sure add up huh?
Roy
My level 18s > yours

223.30 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject:  

Quote:
There's no good argument against an individual who ebays. Some people think that ebaying is wrong because it encourages duping, botting, and it's not continuous with the D2 fantasy world.

There's a start.

Quote:
However, you can't blame the individual ebay buyer for these problems.

Why not? When the demand spills over from the in-game Diablo world to the real marketplace, supply is going to catch up. Duping and botting are natural consequences.

Quote:
However, even if the money is significant to a person, they can should spend it how they want, and if buying D2 items maximizes their utility, they should do it.

Not true. I don't get any utility from paying my bills, but I still have to pay them.

Quote:
A lot of people say things like "only nerds would rather have items than dollars," yet they have accounts full of D2 characters.

No. Only nerds would make the comparison.

I don't mind having an account of Diablo characters so that I have a chance to relax from time to time. However, I enjoy my Diablo leisure time whether or not I spend money on my leet itamz.

Quote:
If they truly believed this, they would sell their characters. Every person that doesn't sell their D2 characters is choosing D2 items over real money.

See above point. You make the false assumption that money and leisure time are completely interchangeable.

By your same flawed argument, if you get more utility out of leisure than work, you should never work. If you get more utility out of money than leisure, you should work 24 hours a day.

There is such a thing as diminishing marginal utility. I get enough utility out of playing Diablo for leisure that I don't need an extra ten dollars. Of course, that doesn't mean that I need to spend money on my imaginary fantasy character to feel good about myself.

I've never spent a dollar on a Diablo item, and I can safely say that I never will. I enjoy playing the game for what it is - a game. As soon as that game turns into a priority for me, I've lost sight of things that are more important.

If a Diablo nerd wants to make fun of me because my characters use imperfect equipment, it doesn't bother me in the least.

yarly
Waramp

0.59 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject:  

as me and my buddy dako always say in regards to ebaying: Beers over Bers

http://forums.d2jsp.org/index.php?showuser=246043
breakbeatz2

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject:  

Spending money to maximize utility is econ 101.

Quote:
Not true. I don't get any utility from paying my bills, but I still have to pay them.

You enjoy having a place to live, and working water, gas, and electricity. No one enjoys spending money, they enjoy what they spend the money on. They enjoy a house to live in, or D2 items to play with. Wow, I can't believe you don't understand such a simple concept.

Quote:
By your same flawed argument, if you get more utility out of leisure than work, you should never work. If you get more utility out of money than leisure, you should work 24 hours a day.

I'm discussing the concept of spending money to maximize utility. It is a fact that consumers will try to and should spend money in this manner. It's not arguable. It also has nothing to do with deciding how many hours one should work in a day. Utility is hard to measure and it is not constant. The first Big Mac you eat will provide more utility than the 10th. Also, short term utility will often be mistakenly valued higher than long term by the consumer. I'm not suggesting that a person shouldn't pay their bills because they want the immediate gratification of D2 items. That notion is ridiculous and I can't believe you would even suggest it.
Quote:

However, you can't blame the individual ebay buyer for these problems.

Why not? When the demand spills over from the in-game Diablo world to the real marketplace, supply is going to catch up. Duping and botting are natural consequences.

I already explained this before. You can't blame an individual consumer for problems with the market. They are a microscopic part of the problem which is created by millions upon millions of consumers.

You can't blame a person who buys Nike shoes for the sweat shops in Southeast Asia

You can't blame a person who buys diamonds for the murders in the African diamond mines.

You can't blame a person who buys veal for the torture of the calf it came from.

You can't blame a person who buys D2 items for the popularity of duping and botting

Quote:

Please don't flame me. You got rid of the fire pit because you couldn't handle it anymore. Try to act like a mod.
Grim04

BNet Acct/Realm: Grim04/UWNL
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject:  

I've ebayed some small items when I played D2. Usually items like rerolling runes.

Most of my wealth came from farming Cool.
Roy
My level 18s > yours

223.30 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject:  

Quote:
Spending money to maximize utility is econ 101.

You are not arguing that people are spending money to maximize utility. You are arguing that unless they spend money, they are not acting rationally. Your basic premise is completely flawed. If you were correct, people would never save money.

Quote:
You enjoy having a place to live, and working water, gas, and electricity. No one enjoys spending money, they enjoy what they spend the money on. They enjoy a house to live in, or D2 items to play with. Wow, I can't believe you don't understand such a simple concept.

I obviously understand it well enough to point out the glaring flaws in your argument. If people only spent money on what gives them the most utility (as you argue), they would ignore the boring responsibilities.

Quote:
I'm discussing the concept of spending money to maximize utility. It is a fact that consumers will try to and should spend money in this manner.

Oh really? If I go spend the night in a five-star hotel, I will maximize my utility. Yet I don't, and no one would argue that I should.

When you use the simplest of economic premises to evaluate complex economic choices, you are never going to grasp the argument properly.

Quote:
I'm discussing the concept of spending money to maximize utility. It is a fact that consumers will try to and should spend money in this manner. It's not arguable. It also has nothing to do with deciding how many hours one should work in a day. Utility is hard to measure and it is not constant. The first Big Mac you eat will provide more utility than the 10th. Also, short term utility will often be mistakenly valued higher than long term by the consumer. I'm not suggesting that a person shouldn't pay their bills because they want the immediate gratification of D2 items. That notion is ridiculous and I can't believe you would even suggest it.

Yet you continue to make the absurd suggestion that people must either buy items or sell their characters. Your ridiculous situation fails to include marginal utility, which is why your argument is categorically false.

Again, if a person does not buy items, that does not mean he will get more utility out of selling his characters. This is the first application of diminishing marginal utility, and it's a very basic premise.

Quote:
I already explained this before. You can't blame an individual consumer for problems with the market. They are a microscopic part of the problem which is created by millions upon millions of consumers.

Completely false. How many people play Diablo? Maybe ten thousand tops? And only a small percentage buy their items.

In a limited marketplace such as this one, an individual consumer actually DOES make a difference. You bring up veal, but you conveniently ignore the fact that there aren't millions of people buying Diablo items through PayPal. When your behavior influences the supplier's decisions, you are contributing to the problem.

Quote:
Please don't flame me. You got rid of the fire pit because you couldn't handle it anymore. Try to act like a mod.

I didn't flame you. Here is your argument:
breakbeatz wrote:
A lot of people say things like "only nerds would rather have items than dollars," yet they have accounts full of D2 characters.

You misrepresent the argument, so I corrected you:
Quote:

It's your language, not mine. Notice that I didn't call you a nerd, nor I did I say anything about you. If you want to use loaded language, don't get mad when I quote your own language to refute you.

Quote:
You got rid of the fire pit because you couldn't handle it anymore.

Knarl got rid of the Fire Pit, not me. If he wants to bring it back, I'll be more than happy to resume where I left off, outsmarting kids on teh internetz.

Quote:
Try to act like a mod.

If you think I've crossed any lines here, PM Knarl and I'll accept any discipline that he sees fit.

Of course, I've done nothing wrong. You made the false claim that people argue that "Nerds would rather have items than dollars." No one is arguing that. Only nerds would make the comparison between their computer game and the real world.

Correcting your false statements is not flaming you.

yarly

Last edited by Roy on Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Page 1 of 8 [115 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 6, 7, 8 Next
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Diablo 2 Discussion Section » General Discussion
Jump to: