LLD101 Forum Index LLD101
Low Level Dueling in 1.12

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:51 pm
All times are UTC - 8
 Forum index » Diablo 2 Discussion Section » LLD Discussion » LLD Guides
The Definitive Level 18 Throwbarb Guide
Page 2 of 4 [54 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
ubermoose
LLD101 Staff

BNet Acct/Realm: Europe
3.49 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:10 am    Post subject:  

I presume it would work, but only on the jav with the kb.
MortisNostre
LoPF

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject:  

just in case there is still any doubt.....IAS on the non primary weapon has no affect....however...the base weapon speed of both weapons is averaged. This is perhaps why your testing resulted as it did Roy.
ubermoose
LLD101 Staff

BNet Acct/Realm: Europe
3.49 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:44 am    Post subject:  

Would it be better to use a 3 socket large shield instead of a 2 socket bone?

You still get max block and you get 1 more socket to play with.

The only downside is that you lose 2 frames of blocking and its makes you run a tiny bit slower when you have the shield out. But i guess when you are using the shield you will be walking a lot anyway.

Also, if you dont mind, could you add a small section on tactics. please Very Happy
Roy
My level 18s > yours

223.30 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:10 am    Post subject:  

ubermoose wrote:
Also, if you dont mind, could you add a small section on tactics. please Very Happy

Haha, not at all - I spent so much time writing the equipment part that I wasn't ready to go into the tactics section, and I haven't found the free time to finish up the guide. I've given out the basic set-up, but dueling with a throwbarb takes a good deal of strategy and practice. I'll try to take care of it before this weekend - in the meantime, I'll add a couple quick thoughts here.

ubermoose wrote:
Would it be better to use a 3 socket large shield instead of a 2 socket bone?

You still get max block and you get 1 more socket to play with.

I've actually toyed with this idea in the past, as a throwbarb ideally won't be getting hit. I ultimately decided against it for two reasons: (1) I worry that a zealot (with a point in charge/charge stick) would be able to put you in block lock without the deflecting mod and (2) as you pointed out, the large shields are Medium weight, so you lose r/w speed.

My main thoughts: Level 18 dueling is dominated by zealots, and I feared that they would be able to put you in block lock quite easily without the deflecting mod. Also, guided zons are perhaps the biggest pain in the neck for throwbarbs (other than recasting necros), and the block rate comes in handy when you're fending off all those arrows.

I'll touch on this more in the tactics section, but the throwbarb is designed to be fast and evasive. An extra 20% ED would be nice, but the disadvantages that go with it make the Deflecting mod the desirable option.

I also briefly considered a 3 socket kite shield (for the Light weight), but the strength req is too high for this build and certainly isn't worth sacrificing 48 life. In the end, the bone shield of deflecting is the way to go. If you can find a rare one with 2 sockets and FHR on it, then you're in business.

Mort: You are correct on that. I tested it only using throwing spears, so that part was held constant. I tried testing some more today, and now it takes 14 Mississippis to drain my mana bulb. I give up. Basically, don't worry about IAS on the second spear, and don't get fooled when playing with the weapon speed calculator.

yarly
.I.O.W.A.

BNet Acct/Realm: I'm Back.
0.01 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:13 am    Post subject:  

Gj very professional looking. Have any SS's of recomended eth or non javs oO.

MortisNostre
LoPF

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:44 am    Post subject:  

Roy wrote:

Mort: You are correct on that. I tested it only using throwing spears, so that part was held constant. I tried testing some more today, and now it takes 14 Mississippis to drain my mana bulb. I give up. Basically, don't worry about IAS on the second spear, and don't get fooled when playing with the weapon speed calculator.

ah yes...well in that case...not good guide. If they ever reset the ladder, i just may use it.
Roy
My level 18s > yours

223.30 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:18 am    Post subject:  

Part of the reason why I enjoy this build is because throwbarb duels require a lot of strategy. You must constantly be on guard when you are double throwing so that you don't get caught with your shield down. You must constantly maintain a certain proximity from your opponent - you need to be out of the range of his attacks, but not far enough so that you can still aim your javelins with accuracy. And finally, you need to be cognizant of the fact that you are using a limited supply of projectiles - there's very little room for error.

Switching between Double Throw and Single Throw
This is the most basic tactic when dueling with a throwbarb. Double Throw deals out much more damage and attacks much faster than single Throw. Of course, when you Double Throw, you don't have a shield and you are a sitting duck.

The trick to dueling with a throwbarb is to mix up your attacks so that you can hit with the firepower of Double Throw while maintaining your blocking. For the most part, this means timing your weapon switch so that you can DT at zealots, but pull out a shield as they charge you so that you avoid damage. I will reference the "weapon switch" as I discuss individual classes.

Along those same lines, you will benefit greatly from hitting the Control ("run") key from time to time. If you run constantly, your blocking will be reduced to 25%. However, if you run in short bursts at a time, you will be able to separate from your opponent while effectively maintaing max block.

Learning to Aim at Targets off Your Screen
While it is possible to namelock people with DT and Throw, any competent opponent will run in a circular motion to dodge your projectiles. When I don't duel frequently on my thrower, I find that I settle into a bad habit of namelocking my opponent until I run out of mana, or even worse, javelins.

First, as you learn to gauge opponents' run/walk speed, you should be able to predict their path. If people are running in a circular motion, aim about 90 degrees so that they run into your javelins. Basically, as you duel, you need to aim at their path, not at the players themselves.

Second, once you become good at targeting your opponents' path, you need to learn how to target the X on the character map. When you can do this with precision, you are able to stand offscreen yet still hit your opponent with your javelins. If you are using invisible javelins, this technique will be the strongest at your disposal - if you are dueling a ranged character like a guided zon, you will often need to attack him from offscreen so that his guided arrows don't lock onto you.

And just as with the weapon switch, you always need to vary it up. The more random your behavior, the harder it is for your opponents to pick up on it. Just when he thinks you've settled into a namelocked Single Throw, switch to DT and blast him as he runs over to you. When you're hitting him from offscreen, let him come to you and hit him while he's expecting you to run. Try to remain as unpredictable as possible.

Managing Your Javelins
The biggest drawback of the throwbarb is that you will have approximately 180-300 javelins total on your character. The replenish mod is unfortunately too slow on rare javelins to eliminate this problem, but the Increased Stack Size mod alleviates it somewhat. If you get trigger happy early in a duel, you will find yourself at an immediate disadvantage when you see the dreaded yellow X at the side of your screen.

When you are dueling with your throwbarb, you need to make every attack count. Your mana pool isn't large enough to maintain a constant stream of throws, and your javelin supply won't last long if you do. Basically, you need to be alert and thinking constantly while you're dueling.

Using Melee Attacks
Also along the lines of varying your offense, feel free to hit people with your javelins from time to time (unless you are in a pure Ranged & Caster duel). It will confuse them, cause them to adjust their tactics, and with the point in Spear Mastery, sometimes do a fair amount of damage.

Keep Bash on your left click on the Single Throw side. Keep Double Swing on your left click on the Double Throw side.

Note: My throwbarb is still norm-rushed, so I can't test this myself, but Double Swing's mana cost at level 13 is listed at -0.5. Does this mean that you regenerate mana by using it? And if so, can you shift-click Double Swing and fill your mana bulb in the process? If so, this would be a FANTASTIC strategy against Spear Necros and other chars that don't allow you to use the Damage taken to Mana (DtM) from the Angelic Ammy.

Tactics against Different Classes

The Pure Zealots / Smiters / Conc Barbs / Maul Druids
These are the pure melee characters that stomp around pub games. They don't bother putting a point in charge nor keeping a war javelin on their switch.

Stay out of their range by running, and Double Throw them as they walk futilely towards you. If you run out of mana, let them hit you once so that you can DtM your mana bulb full. Or just kill them with Single Throw.

Difficulty: 1/5

Regen Smiters
These builds are annoying for throwbarbs because if they play defensively (especially walking around to heal), you will run out of javelins before you can kill them. Further, since they rely on crushing blow and open wounds (CB/OW) to do their damage, you won't be able to DtM your mana bulb. To duel them, stay as close as possible to them and just go pure offense.

Consider keeping a Swordback Hold Spiked Shield on your single Throw switch to counteract some of their regen, especially if they start running to heal. You won't need block rate against a smiter, and the Open Wounds makes a nice difference. If you're having trouble hitting them, run over and Bash them on your single javelin switch. Do this a couple times, and Open Wounds will proc - the duration is 8 seconds, and the counter resets each time you proc Open Wounds.

Socket the Swordback with a 20 ED jewel / 15-20 Max jewel / Eth rune if you want Mana Regen. Although if the shift-Double Swing tactic works to regenerate mana, you wouldn't need the Eth Rune.

Difficulty: 3/5

Zealots with a Throw Weapon
To be honest, I've yet to meet a zealot who could use throwing weapons more effectively than my throwbarb. Holding left-click causes most of them to namelock you with Throw out of habit. If you have a 20 IAS javelin, you will probably be able to block lock them. If you can't block lock them, just keep moving constantly and Double Throwing them. If they try to get close with Zeal, keep your shield out and keep attacking them. But most of these characters tend to stand in one place and throw things at you. Move around, throw things back at them, and they'll be dead in no time.

Difficulty: 2/5

Zealots with a Point in Charge / Charge Scepter
This is the classic pub zealot - it packs a punch in head-to-head melee, but it has a powerful ranged attack in charge.

Simple tactic: Most of these chars have about 40 mana or so, which is enough for 4 charges. When they start charging you, grab your shield and walk away slowly. They will have a hard time hitting you as you walk away, and if they do land a charge, you have a 75% chance to block it. And four charges later, they have no mana bulb left, so you can blast them quickly with DT before repeating the process (thanks to their DtM from the Angelic Ammy).

Most pub zealots will use mana pots, which makes things a bit more tricky. At this point, I usually will attack with Throw as they charge at me. When charging, their blocking diminishes, so you should be able to land some easy hits. When they are standing next to you, back away from them before they can switch to Zeal.

Do not try to throw at them while they zeal you - Zeal is uninterruptible, Throw is not. You won't get off a single attack.

Alternate between running / walking as they run at you - when you have a sizeable difference between you and your opponent, switch over to DT and fire a few rounds at them. If they charge at you, hit the weapon switch so that you can block their attack. Move away, use single Throw as they try to chase you down, and once you have a sizeable difference, give them some more Double Throw.

Overall, a nuisance to duel because it forces you to pay attention and think quickly. But, no more than just a nuisance. My throwbarb is only norm-rushed yet rarely loses to a hell-rushed zealot.

That wraps up some of the simpler classes - I will update this more tomorrow with dueling tactics against the harder classes you will face (Spear Necros, Guided Zons, Throwbarbs, Fissure Druids, etc.)

yarly
Dream
Nightmare

0.09 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:39 am    Post subject:  

The Skill Planner says double swing takes 0 mana at lvl 6, and doesn't change from there to 20.

So if it does list at as -0.5 at level 13 in game it's defenitely worth finding out how it functions.... I would guess it just takes zero mana.
Meegz ?

BNet Acct/Realm: *meegz @ east ladder
39.74 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject:  

Thanks for the underestimation of a decent regen smiter Razz

How long did our duels take before you ran out of javs completely? And I was at half life or so? If I ever built that thing right I'd put a charge scepter on switch so I could keep up Razz

But I will attest this from my pov (regen smiter) that it is an incredibly hard duel against a throwbarb, especially if you follow this guide at all. The throw glitch can and will kill you if you arent careful. I got pretty good at changing my direction whenever I saw him pause in his running. Get very good at throwing and continuing moving quickly, since this will make it look like you just got a glitch or a minor desynch/lag spike on your opponents screen.

Napalm loves the little children of the world.
wfg-dude

BNet Acct/Realm: Long Beach, CA
158.70 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject:  

A couple notes from the 1/5 zealot (lowest difficulty EVAR!) point of view:

1. Never let me hit you to replenish your mana bulb or the only replenish you will get is the one where you run out from the camp to retrieve your body.

2. I've dueled Aqua's lvl 20 throwbarb in open and a good tactic for winning was letting him run out of javs cuz he had to start picking and choosing (or waiting for replenish to kick in) before he attacked me...which means basically I did all the attacking while he did all the running. So, like Roy said... ration your javs and don't assume all zealots stand there and let you hit them... invisible or not.

3. My javs are pretty hurty so having leap would help or using those boots that give you leaping ability which would give you the chance to not only dodge my javs but if you time it right you can attack me when you land since I'm probably trying to time you landing...kind of a quick draw but he nailed me a couple times as I was trying to catch him on a landing and he was able to fire off a couple just as he landed.

4. Smart zealots won't use zeal when hot on your heals...they will switch to sac so make sure you have plenty of frw to put some distance between us otherwise one swing can take a HUGE chunk of your life bulb.

With good frw and good jav management I can't beat you unless you stand still long enough or do soemthing stupid... so keep that in mind next time you are dueling one of us 1/5's Twisted Evil

BTW...charge ws's give you 5-6 charges not 4 since mine is socketed with mana giving jewels I get an extra 1-2 depending where my mana bulb is at when I start charging.

One other point about eth/rep warjavs... They do more dmg (typically). Nothing wrong with using them for at least one or two duels just to watch ppl die faster. I know the base dmg on my eth/reps is around 75max while my normal ones are around 64. That extra dmg might be not good for a duel or two on your barbie Wink Idea

Cool Sweet Justice IMHO!!!!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger 
Roy
My level 18s > yours

223.30 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:14 am    Post subject:  

Let me add a few thoughts to everyone's comments:

Quote:
1. Never let me hit you to replenish your mana bulb or the only replenish you will get is the one where you run out from the camp to retrieve your body.

Great point wfg - I should definitely clarify that. If you ever need to take damage in order to refill your mana bulb, make sure that you are walking with your shield out. If a zealot hits you while you don't have a shield, you will be dead. But if you walk away with a shield, you will block/manually evade most of his zeal swings, and you should only get hit once or twice tops.

I would only recommend this tactic if you have over 400 life left. Your single Throw should be strong enough that you will not need to rely on Double Throw.

Quote:
3. My javs are pretty hurty so having leap would help or using those boots that give you leaping ability which would give you the chance to not only dodge my javs but if you time it right you can attack me when you land since I'm probably trying to time you landing...kind of a quick draw but he nailed me a couple times as I was trying to catch him on a landing and he was able to fire off a couple just as he landed.

Hey, you're a zealot with throw! That's a 2/5 difficulty, not 1/5 Wink

You're referring to Gorefoot Heavy Boots. While the +Leap is nice, you lose not only the 20 Dex from Cow Kings, but you also lose the 30 Faster R/W. Since speed and dexterity are both so crucial for this build, I wouldn't recommend using them for those two reasons.

I did indeed omit the Leap skill as one of the options for the final skill point, which was an oversight on my part. I've dueled a couple throwbarbs who use Leap, and one can certainly adjust his strategy accordingly to utilize Leap. However, I personally find Leap to be nothing more than a tiny distraction. Further, at level 1, Leap requires you to get pretty close to your opponent for the effect. Since you mostly want to remain relatively far apart from a zealot, I wouldn't use it for that reason. as well.

Basically, while you can use Leap to a small tactical advantage, you have more powerful strategies available in your arsenal. If you can find a +3 Throw Mastery with +3 Leap as well, then you may be able to get more use out of the skill. Each dueler has his own preferences, and Leap simply wasn't one of mine.

Quote:
4. Smart zealots won't use zeal when hot on your heals...they will switch to sac so make sure you have plenty of frw to put some distance between us otherwise one swing can take a HUGE chunk of your life bulb.

Another good point. I have a couple Fine GC's of Inertia to give me a speed advantage over almost all level 18's, but smart zealots will keep a couple Fines of Inertia of their own in their stash, just for duels like this one.

That's why I keep a couple more Fine GC's of Inertia in my stash. I sub those charms in for my Fine GC's of Life when I need more speed. This strategy especially comes into play against level 18 kicksins, which I will cover in my next tactics discourse.

Simple point to remember: if the zealot is close enough to hit you, you need to be walking with your shield out. If he uses Sacrifice, you should be able to evade it manually by walking away from him. Just in case you don't, you will still have a 3/4 chance to block it.

Quote:
One other point about eth/rep warjavs... They do more dmg (typically). Nothing wrong with using them for at least one or two duels just to watch ppl die faster. I know the base dmg on my eth/reps is around 75max while my normal ones are around 64. That extra dmg might be not good for a duel or two on your barbie

Definitely true. If you can imbue a good pair of eth/rep war javelins, you should use those on your single Throw. However, it goes back to preferences. If you don't mind switching out your javelins after each duel, go for eth/rep war javs. Or just save them for the crucial battles.

Quote:
Thanks for the underestimation of a decent regen smiter

Ha. I consider 3/5 to be challenging, but not overpowering. You've got to remember that my thrower is currently norm-rushed with a 30 max damage helm. If I ever get around to making my 57 Max Damage throw hat and hell rushing my char, my barb will be much more formidable. I'm not very good at estimating damage, but I think I will be able to hit 1000 DT damage tops when I'm finally satisfied with my char. I'll post screens when I do put everything together.

Quote:
The Skill Planner says double swing takes 0 mana at lvl 6, and doesn't change from there to 20.

So if it does list at as -0.5 at level 13 in game it's defenitely worth finding out how it functions.... I would guess it just takes zero mana.

I've been using the Arreat Summit a lot more since D2Data appears to be down, and I got that info from there. In other words, if you found a place that lists it at zero, I'm inclined to believe it's just zero.

Eventually I will get around to hell-rushing my thrower (I use him to PK Travincal games and such), and I'll check it out. But given the Arreat Summit's track record, I'm not holding my breath.

yarly
wfg-dude

BNet Acct/Realm: Long Beach, CA
158.70 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:52 am    Post subject:  

Roy wrote:
(I use him to PK Travincal games and such)

ROFL...so he's basically your GF barb? NICE! Extra cool point for using a lvl 18 as a GF char.

Cool Sweet Justice IMHO!!!!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger 
Jukie
Victim of the BAN BLUDGEON

BNet Acct/Realm: Boston, MA. East[NL] /w *Pseudo.
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject:  

this is nice i make one, yah?
Kody

0.03 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject:  

it wont be hard to hit over 1k throw dmg since robs (rode) lvl 15 double throw barb hits 1k double throw. he uses dmg lcs though but since your lvl 18 you can get more dmg on jewels and just use a gc or 2 or a few lcs with max dmg on em
Roy
My level 18s > yours

223.30 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:35 am    Post subject:  

Okay, I think it's time to add the finishing touches to the tactics section. First, one comment:

Quote:
it wont be hard to hit over 1k throw dmg since robs (rode) lvl 15 double throw barb hits 1k double throw. he uses dmg lcs though but since your lvl 18 you can get more dmg on jewels and just use a gc or 2 or a few lcs with max dmg on em

I'm not too familiar with Rode's barb, but honestly, it wouldn't be too hard to match the damage with a level fifteen character with the following setup:

4 socket gothic plate with max damage jewels (since Twitch is level 16)
Eth / Rep Throwing Spears
Fine Large Charms of Life (basically equivalent to 6 / x / 15 Life GC's when in pairs)

The only damage increase you get at level 18 are Carnage jewels and Slaughter (+15-20 Max) and Excellence suffixes (+5-9 Min). If I recall correctly, the main ED prefixes (Massive and Warrior's) are both level 15, so the damage on throwing spears will be about the same at level 15 and level 18.

FYI - The next set of ED prefixes (Savage and Soldier's) come into play at level 19, which is why it is much easier to find strong level 19 throwing weapons.

However, if you go for a pure damage route at level 18, you will have to sacrifice the benefits that Twitch offers. Ultimately, the faster attack speed and light weight of the armor suit this build better.

Okay, the final set of tactics - these classes will generally trouble you:

Kicksins

Kicksins are difficult for one reason: Burst of Speed. This is the one class that will often be able to outrun you. They rely on Crushing Blow and Open Wounds to do the bulk of their damage. The Open Wounds is a bit of a nuisance for a ranged character - while you're trying to create space, you will notice your life bar diminishing slowly.

I always keep a couple extra Fine Charms of Inertia in my stash for duels like this one. Load up on as much run/walk speed as possible. Try to move unpredictably during the duel. If you are able to create space, switch to Double Throw and fire a few shots before switching back to your shield. As long as you don't let the Kicksin catch you without your shield, you should be fine.

Fissure Druids

These characters are difficult because most low level builds neglect resistances. There are two ways around this type of char:

1) Use SC's of Sustenance with Fire Resistance
2) Use Hotspurs

Note that if you use Hotspurs, you will lose 20 Dex. If you are dex-glitching your throwing spears, you will need to switch to war javelins.

If you are a hell-rushed build, you will have an extra 20 Res All from your Anya quests to work with. My norm-rushed build uses a couple Fire Resist life charms, and I have about 50 Fire Resistance. This has been sufficient for all the fissure druids that I've met.

Don't get trapped in Fissures and keep attacking from a distance. Be careful with your javelins in this duel. First, because it's an elemental character, you will deplete your mana pool quickly (no DtM from the Angelic Amulet). Second, most Fissure druids rely on high life replenish, and in long duels, you run the risk of running out of javelins.

Sorceresses

These builds are pretty rare. If you're worried about them, keep some resistance lifers in your stash. However, your damage should allow you to thrash them with ease. One note of caution: some sorcs like to teleport on top of you and spam spells (charged bolt in particular), so keep a heads up.

Difficulty: 2/5

Spear Necros

There are two types of spear necros: those who recast Bone Armor, and those who do not. If you meet a recasting Necro, you're basically screwed. They will block 75% of your projectiles, and as soon as you make a dent in their armor, they will recast it. Rinse and repeat until you are out of javelins. Also, you won't be able to restore your mana pool effectively since the Necro won't use any physical damage.

I briefly considered loading up on poison damage charms as a counter to recasting Bone Necros, but it is too easily countered with Death's Gloves. Basically, if you face a good Necro who recasts, you will run out javelins before you can damage him significantly. I haven't been able to find any ways around it, so if a recasting Necro has you down, make a new build to destroy him.

In LLD101 Ranged & Caster duels, recasting Bone Armor is now illegal. At this point, the duel becomes a game of strategy and maneuvering. ear_god's Necro used to be the most involved and exciting duel for my throwbarb. Basically, this duel is an art that needs to be practiced for yourself. However, a couple tips:

1) Switch to single Throw to regenerate mana in order to fire more Double Throw salvoes throughout the duel.
2) Move around constantly - Bone Spears travel fast, and if you stand still for too long, you will take significant damage.

Keep moving, mind your javelins and mana, and prepare for one of the most involved duels of your life.

Difficulty: 4/5
Difficulty with Bone Armor Recast: impossible

Throwbarbs

I love throwbarb duels because you should know all of your opponent's tricks. My personal favorite duel is against another dex-glitched thrower, since it adds a whole new dimension of strategy to the duel.

If you're dueling a throwbarb and you can see his projectiles, dodge them. Simple enough. Switch between walk and run as needed to manually dodge the projectiles, and walk to block 75% of them with your shield.

I usually let my opponent go heavy on the trigger to start the duel. By the time he realizes he's running out of javelins, you've already got the advantage. Try to predict his movements and hit him with DT. When he's throwing at you, keep your shield up if you can't dodge his projectiles.

Just like in a Spear Necro duel - keep moving around and mind your javelins. When you get good at this type of duel, you should be able to spend the bulk of the duel using Double Throw and dodging his javelins manually.

If he dex-glitches his javelins, then you're in for some fun. I find it much easier to target the red X on the map from offscreen. Keep your shield up at all times when you're not using Double Throw, or else you will get hit with invisible projectiles. Move as randomly as possible, and pay attention to when the barb starts blinking (Double Throw) or standing in place and "staring" (Single Throw). Maneuver in a circular motion, hit him with a couple quick throws, and move away.

Again, this is the kind of duel that comes down to practice and strategy more than simple gear.

Difficulty: 4/5

Chargers

I haven't dueled any pure chargers on my thrower. However, having played a pure charger against throwbarbs, there is a definite inherent weakness: Charge ruins your chance to block.

If you have javelins with Knockback (I don't), you should be able to disrupt the Charger's motions by directly firing javelins at him constantly. If you are going to use Double Throw, make sure that you're ready to switch to Single Throw and your shield in the bat of an eyelash. Otherwise, the duel will be over before you realize you've been hit.

Make sure that you walk at all times, and if you need to dodge his charge manually, walk away from him. This is a challenging duel, but you should stand a good chance if you aim well and don't get caught without your shield. If the charger is foolish and charges in a repetitive fashion, you should be able to destroy him with knockback javelins, which disrupt charge significantly and should prevent him from hitting you.

Difficulty: 5/5

Guided Amazons

The guided Amazon is the natural enemy of the Throwbarb. Her missiles never miss their target, which makes using Double Throw extremely perilous. Good Amazons will use Lightning Bolt on their switch - an autohit throwing attack that packs a punch.

When dueling a guided Amazon, you need to move in and out constantly. Switch to walk if you are being bombarded with arrows. The trick is to catch the Amazon with a barrage of Double Throws when she takes out her bow (and cannot block). My personal favorite strategy is to move offscreen to the point where her arrows won't lock onto you. Aim towards where she will come at you, and you should be able to hit her with a few javelins.

In general, when you see the bow come out, fire a couple Double Throws before bringing up your shield. If the zon stands still, switch to single Throw and keep attacking. If she runs and shoots, try to predict her movement.

When you're in close proximity to the Amazon, be careful of the javelin switch. I usually stand back at medium distance to give myself room to dodge the Lightning Bolts. In contrast, when the Amazon uses her bow, I fight from either very close or very far range. Basically, when she switches weapons, adjust your distance accordingly.

This will be your most challenging duel, but again, that's what makes it so much fun.

Difficulty: 5/5

yarly
Page 2 of 4 [54 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
 Forum index » Diablo 2 Discussion Section » LLD Discussion » LLD Guides
Jump to: