LLD101 Forum Index LLD101
Low Level Dueling in 1.12

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:10 pm
All times are UTC - 8
 Forum index » LLD101 Forum Information Booth » Suggestion Box
Different approach on spam?
Page 1 of 2 [22 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
ThatGuy

BNet Acct/Realm: MONTREAL YAA! Quit d2
5.36 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject:  Different approach on spam?
Subject description: Moderation issues

I saw a second thread I enjoyed closed prematurely because of spam.

The Vending Machine

JOKE THREAD!!

Why is spam suddenly being treated like the plague? Spam is annoying sometimes, and at other times (like in these cases), it didn't really aggravate me or most probably many others much.

The closure of threads like these under these circumstances frustrates me as a member of this site because I remember when people were given a bit more freedom of speech. Granted, sometimes spam is unwelcome, but seeing these forums moderated in such a strict fashion by Roy is disheartening to say the least.

Is it the members, or the mods? I haven't a clue in all honesty, since I'm not the member I used to be.

I sent Roy a PM asking why he closed the vending machine so quickly, but he decided not to respond (it may have been because I made it possibly sound like I didn't care for a response? But in any case, it's always a polite gesture). This is why I'm posting this here.

May I suggest that a new warning system be implemented? This "Walking on thin ice" crap is a joke of a warning, many people blatantly joke about how cool it is to own a tag like that. May I suggest an active warning system instead? Many other forums have them, granting mods access to issue warns based on severity of certain infractions, and infraction points eventually build up to a ban. Member titles could have a php encoded program that would list their reputation on a scale and turn it into a rating (which may include "Good poster, new member, walking on thin ice, grasping onto strings, and victim of the BAN BLUDGEON!!!!1!~").

My 2 cents. I tire of seeing good threads locked up like this, and it definately does not teach anything to anyone.

Last edited by ThatGuy on Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fallen Angels
Victim of the BAN BLUDGEON

BNet Acct/Realm: Cape May, NJ
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject:  

if there was an active warning system im sure some power trip mods would throw around a lil too much of their "power"

ras loves me
Ras wrote:
You're stupid, really stupid sometimes.

ThatGuy

5.36 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject:  

Fallen Angels wrote:
if there was an active warning system im sure some power trip mods would throw around a lil too much of their "power"

That is paranoia right there. I trust Knarl, for he is a smart person and knows what he's doing. You should always have the option to voice your opinions about a warn and have it removed if the conditions fit (I.e unjust warn, reasoning behind offence, time expiry, etc etc). Mods did not become mods because they were power trippers.

Fallen Angels

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject:  

o i trust knarl and gheed and most of the mods, just one that comes to mind would likely be a lil to quick to a warn, though i will not say any names

ras loves me
Ras wrote:

krajee

9.68 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Different approach on spam?
Subject description: Moderation issues

ThatGuy wrote:
May I suggest that a new warning system be implemented? ... Many other forums have them, granting mods access to issue warns based on severity of certain infractions, and infraction points eventually build up to a ban.

That would require more mods the the current phpbb software or switching to a completely new forum software (invision for example). I'm not saying that it's impossible, just not likely at this point in time.

Fallen Angels

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject:  

that is exactly what i meant to say, but in better words

ras loves me
Ras wrote:

MilkmanAl

BNet Acct/Realm: *MilkmanAl, *MilkmansLLD
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject:  

Quote:
that is exactly what i meant to say, but in better words

Veiled accusations=impracticality?

Anyways, I wouldn't suggest switching to Invision, not that I think a move is imminent or anything. I can't speak for issues of code accessibility or other admin-related abilities, but it does seem like Invision's servers screw up a lot. The BB had frequent periods of excessive slowness and page not found-ness and whatnot for awhile. All that seems to have cleared up a bit recently, but it's still worth worrying about.

Fallen Angels

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject:  

no comment

ras loves me
Ras wrote:

Grim04

BNet Acct/Realm: Grim04/UWNL
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject:  

I think it's time for summer to come...
ThatGuy

5.36 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject:  

If that's the case (lame as it sounds), I'll get some fellow Computer Science students together to help me design a warning system to add on to these boards. Will you then reconsider? Don't make it sound like an impossible thing Wink

Roy
My level 18s > yours

223.30 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject:  

The Vending Machine lost its appeal once people started abusing the thread - it even prompted the original poster (SoaringSquirrel) to post the following:

Quote:
Anal-retentive bastard speech: I won't name any names, but, without meaning to be rude, this is not the Free Association Machine o' Spam. You are supposed to respond, as the rule number 2 states, "a different thing related in some clever way to the first thing," not just respond with "mom" if someone inserts "dad" (c'mon, I wasn't being completely facetious in the subject description). I'm sure rjg and the admin have spam a-plenty to deal with already, so try to fit some deliberation in, if that's not too great a request. Rolling Eyes

When the person who created the thread is getting irritated at the spam, that's a good sign that the thread has peaked. I left the thread open for three more days to see if people responded to SS's request - instead, it just became even worse.

Unless you want to start banning people from the Off-Topic Forum for failing to make intelligent contributions, there's really nothing I can do. Word association threads always degenerate into spam.

Speaking of which, just observe the content of the "Joke thread":
Quote:
why did the apple?

BECAUSE THE CANOE HAD LEGS!

LOL

Personally, I dislike seeing the Off-Topic forum as a venue for people to post random crap for no particular reason. See the standard "I ate five pounds of fudge today" post.

Quote:
Why is spam suddenly being treated like the plague? Spam is annoying sometimes, and at other times (like in these cases), it didn't really aggravate me or most probably many others much.

It aggravates me for one, and I know I'm not alone based on Soaring's post in his own thread complaining about spam. I prefer reading meaningful discussions like the Science v. Religion thread, or the marijuana thread. People digesting the content of the previous posts and responding as such. Instead, we are getting treated to the following:
Quote:
frosted flakes?

+1 post count? yay?

Quote:
The closure of threads like these under these circumstances frustrates me as a member of this site because I remember when people were given a bit more freedom of speech.

Let me quote the rules of the Off-Topic forum:
Knarl wrote:
I really don't want this forum to turn into a "post whatever the heck is on your mind regardless if anyone else wants to read it or not" forum. Please use your common sense when posting a new topic. Ideally, you want to post something that can spark a conversation, like what kind of music do you listen to, or what's your favorite tv show, or whatever.

I agree.

yarly
ThatGuy

5.36 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject:  

Roy, if you checked what I was aiming for, I said good THREADS got closed. I never said there were always good posts. Which is why I'm asking if there can be a warning system instead of lockdown of potentially awesome things.

ThatGuy

5.36 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:59 pm    Post subject:  

Bump.

http://www.lld101.com/viewtopic.php?t=30930&start=90

Grim04

BNet Acct/Realm: Grim04/UWNL
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:33 pm    Post subject:  

Tric wrote:
Vixen wrote:
The Pistol is gay.

And i'm glad it's gone. Most unrealistic piece of crap ever.

wow, stfu. if the pistol looked like a BR, wouldyou complain? no. stfu. go be a newb somewhere else you NOOB. NOOOOOB NOOOOOOOOOB

Ya, he did flame.
ThatGuy

5.36 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:40 am    Post subject:  

Which is why a warning system could be installed to prevent the early lockdown of threads.

I unfortunately cannot get together with any classmates until after the holidays...semester's over Razz there's probably one on the internet, but anyways...whatever

Page 1 of 2 [22 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
 Forum index » LLD101 Forum Information Booth » Suggestion Box
Jump to: