LLD101 Forum Index LLD101
Low Level Dueling in 1.12

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:29 am
All times are UTC - 8
 Forum index » Off-Topic Section » Alternative Gaming
ATI versus nVidia for gaming
Page 1 of 2 [24 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Dao Jones

BNet Acct/Realm: *Dao_Jones, Bi-Realmsual.
33.66 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:53 am    Post subject:  ATI versus nVidia for gaming  

I don't intend to start a massive debate here, but I'm wondering if anyone has any personal experience with comparable cards from both manufacturers, and has seen a specific superiority in one or the other.

I just picked up an NVidia 6800 ultra @256mb today, and I'm looking forward to trying it out. It's sort older technology, and I think I paid too much for it (paid about $560 for it, although I got three free games with it). Anyway, reviews I read online seem mixed. I don't have much experience with PC gaming (I've only been doing it about a year), and while I very much liked my little 64mb ATI 9550 in my old laptop, I seem to have fallen into using nVidia cards. But I can't really be sure while provides the better experience.

Any thoughts?
FudGe

BNet Acct/Realm: *MaStEr_FuDgE, jacquesstrap on D2JSP
2.11 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:22 am    Post subject:  

i prefer nvidia over ati for gaming. dunno why, i just think they perform better.

With my experience, ati has really crappy buggy drivers that always crash or blue screen. Haven't had any problems with the past 2 geforce cards ive bought.

MeshinLLD

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject:  

I perfer GeForce video cards personally for gaming, nVidia makes some good cards, which tend to have better overall perfermance in my opinion, but ATI can really pump out some power as well. If I had to make a choice on a long-term video card I would Go with the nVidia, specially if your using it in a laptop.

UsWest [NL]
*MeshinLLD
UsEast [NL]
*MeshinLLD
*Meshin
ATOMICMAN
Official LLD101 Drunkard

BNet Acct/Realm: *ATOMICMAN-LLD USEastNL Retired
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject:  

i used to like ati cards alot (like back in the days of 8500)

but they have lost some preformance and some major reliability that they used to offer, now theyre more buggy, cost the same, but dont offer the edge they used to over nvidia chipsets.

nowadays geforce>ati but there still are a few ok ati cards but i think your money is better spent with nvidia

I am the bullet in the gun
I am the truth from which you run
I am a silencing machine
I am the end of all your dreams...
Chronotrigger

BNet Acct/Realm: ladder east/Florida
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject:  

NVidia all the way and remember v ram means shit make sure the chip on it runs over a 1ghz to get realy good perfermancei also got a 256mb NVidia that is a lil lesspowerfull than yours i think im runin 400-800mghz
i forget ben a wile since i looked at specs tho i think i wil take advice on the other thread and get more ram probly 1.5-2gigs
MeshinLLD

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject:  

Generally 2gig ram is about all you'll ever need on a high performance system. More than 2gig ram is basicly if you want to run a server or something from your house lol. Ive only met a few people who had need for more than 2 gig, and theys because they were running multi-comp towers.

And as Atomic said above, nvidia is definently the way to go if your looking to invest in a good, reliable video card.

UsWest [NL]
*MeshinLLD
UsEast [NL]
*MeshinLLD
*Meshin
Dao Jones

33.66 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:05 pm    Post subject:  

Well, I'm glad I went with the nVidia then, even if I overpaid. So far this card seems to be working well. BF2 max settings without a hitch. The real test is gonna be Oblivion. My 7300 @ 512 was a limping cow - hopefully this card's additional processing power will let me edge toward high settings.

Actually, since I'm academically curious, what do y'all suggest I should improve next on my gaming rig? I have:

3.4Ghz P4 processor
2Ggb RAM
256mb NVidia 6800 Ultra v-card
120gb SATA HD (@7200rpm)

Not sure what other aspects of the computer are relevant. I myself was thinking either getting a dual-core processor board, or dual-v card SLI board. I've seen both, and both seem tasty. The only problem with the dual core board would be needing a new processor, whereas the dual v-card board could just slot a second v-card I could pick up anywhere. (My ultra is SLI ready, I believe.)
ubermoose
LLD101 Staff

BNet Acct/Realm: Europe
3.49 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:02 am    Post subject:  

Dual core
lots of ram
2 graphics cards, also ATM i think that only nvidia supports this.
and if you want to give yourself an aneurysm setting it up, dual SATA hard drives set up RAID 0. Twisted Evil
MeshinLLD

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject:  

Defiently go for the dual core, if your looking to really upgrade, more ram is always nice, dual cards, and nVidia isnt the only one that supports it, it is possible with radeon as well, but sorta buggy. Im not sure on GeForce.

And next time consider looking here as www.pricewatch.com For anything eles computer hardware related you need.

UsWest [NL]
*MeshinLLD
UsEast [NL]
*MeshinLLD
*Meshin
ubermoose
LLD101 Staff

3.49 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject:  

MeshinLLD wrote:
nVidia isnt the only one that supports it, it is possible with radeon as well, but sorta buggy.

Yeah, i realised after i posted the article i was reading on it was from early 2004 Rolling Eyes .

At the moment im planning on building my own pc, a game machine with all the trimmings, ill let you know how it turns out.
Inexorable

BNet Acct/Realm: TheSupplier, Cancerofdabowel
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject:  

[quote="Dao Jones"]Well, I'm glad I went with the nVidia then, even if I overpaid. So far this card seems to be working well. BF2 max settings without a hitch. The real test is gonna be Oblivion. My 7300 @ 512 was a limping cow - hopefully this card's additional processing power will let me edge toward high settings.

Actually, since I'm academically curious, what do y'all suggest I should improve next on my gaming rig? I have:

3.4Ghz P4 processor
2Ggb RAM
120gb SATA HD (@7200rpm)

Not sure what other aspects of the computer are relevant. I myself was thinking either getting a dual-core processor board, or dual-v card SLI board. I've seen both, and both seem tasty. The only problem with the dual core board would be needing a new processor, whereas the dual v-card board could just slot a second v-card I could pick up anywhere. (My ultra is SLI ready, I believe.)[/quote]

Get 10k rpm or faster drives. Get a motherboard that has a raid controller built in, and link a pair of uberly fast hard drives in a raid 0 array.

Go with another of the same video card in SLI mode.

Dual processors isn't bad.. but still not many things that take advantage of them.

Knarl wrote:
Inexorable beat LittleKnarl, 4-3. Grumble grumble. My poor smiter.

Knarl wrote:
4-3 for inexorable again in melee. 10 life...pssh.

If you cannot take the heat....
ATOMICMAN
Official LLD101 Drunkard

BNet Acct/Realm: *ATOMICMAN-LLD USEastNL Retired
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject:  

Inexorable wrote:
Dao Jones wrote:
Well, I'm glad I went with the nVidia then, even if I overpaid. So far this card seems to be working well. BF2 max settings without a hitch. The real test is gonna be Oblivion. My 7300 @ 512 was a limping cow - hopefully this card's additional processing power will let me edge toward high settings.

3.4Ghz P4 processor
2Ggb RAM
120gb SATA HD (@7200rpm)

Not sure what other aspects of the computer are relevant. I myself was thinking either getting a dual-core processor board, or dual-v card SLI board. I've seen both, and both seem tasty. The only problem with the dual core board would be needing a new processor, whereas the dual v-card board could just slot a second v-card I could pick up anywhere. (My ultra is SLI ready, I believe.)

Get 10k rpm or faster drives. Get a motherboard that has a raid controller built in, and link a pair of uberly fast hard drives in a raid 0 array.

Dual processors isn't bad.. but still not many things that take advantage of them.

i had a dual athlon like 2 years ago

2x 2200+ amds overclocked to 2.4 ghz on each i think
2 gigs of ddr 266
64 bit pci scssi 3 card
10 gig 16k rpm hdd (for os)
40 gig 16k hdd (for storage)
radeon 8500

it was a freaking beast until i fried the cpus overclocking way more then i should have (lol went for 2.8 ghz on each i think)

now with dual core amds i wanna get back into the dual cpus again

soooooo much raw power in them and now with 64 bit stuff it only expands what you have, then add that with much much faster ram now, the ablity to use 2 video cards, 16k rpm sata drives (with a raid 0 Crying or Very sad )
then hook that up with windows 2003 sever 64 bit you have more then i could have ever dreamed could be possible in such a short time

I am the bullet in the gun
I am the truth from which you run
I am a silencing machine
I am the end of all your dreams...
Dao Jones

33.66 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:59 am    Post subject:  

Inexorable wrote:

I think my board already supports a RAID array. I will admit I'm kinda nooby when it comes to this high-end PC stuff, but when I bought my computer my buddy said to get a SATA drive so I could go RAID 0 later if I wanted to. It's all Greek to me. I mean, I know what a RAID array is, but that's about it.

Hmm. Well, you've all given me good suggestions. I'm not sure more than 2 gigs of RAM would really make a difference (I don't think I currently even utilize my full 2 gigs now), but I can see faster drives being good. I'll probably go dual-SLI before dual-processor, simply because I think it will have a more direct effect on my gaming (since a lot of games are GPU heavy, rather than CPU, so long as the CPU is powerful enough to push everything along).

Thanks, everyone!
ubermoose
LLD101 Staff

3.49 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject:  

TBH, unless you intend to run something like doom3 in ultra high resolution on max settings. Or live in the arctic where you can just dump your pc in a snowdrift to cool it. [seriously they get HOT!]. Then there really isnt much point having 2 graphics cards.
NightWish

BNet Acct/Realm: Not telling
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject:  

nVidia

specificly

X-Micro GeForce 7900 GXT Hulk X /w 512mb ram. (dont even need to overclock this fucker, and dont even bother looking in Best Buy for one, only sell them in Tiwann, Japan, one store in Australia and possibly China.)

Page 1 of 2 [24 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
 Forum index » Off-Topic Section » Alternative Gaming
Jump to: