LLD101 Forum Index LLD101
Low Level Dueling in 1.12
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:33 pm
All times are UTC - 8
 Forum index » LLD101 Forum Information Booth » Suggestion Box
Question about post copying restrictions
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
Author Message
Dao Jones


Joined: 28 Nov 2004
Posts: 2959
BNet Acct/Realm: *Dao_Jones, Bi-Realmsual.
Offline
33.66 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:02 am    Post subject:  Question about post copying restrictions  

I'd like to hear mods weigh in on this one, so it isn't so much a "suggestion" as it is a "question, with a thinly veiled suggestion beneath it".

What are your thoughts on posts wherein someone quotes the entirety of someone else's lengthy post, then appends one sentence of response? And I don't mean "quotes an entire page, but responds throughout the post", I mean "copies a Tolstoy novel and adds a haiku in the jacket liner." On several other forums I've visited over the years I've often seen a rule against this, usually referred to as the "me too" rule (so named because of people who like to quote someone else's entire post, then add "me too" at the end.)

Examples of this can be found here: http://wirsz.phpwebhosting.com/LLDBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11047&start=0

Try the third post on the first page, or second post on the second page. (I'm not trying to imply anything by making one poster the subject of both examples; these just happened to be the examples freshest in my memory.)

Any feelings on the matter? Personally, this sort of thing drives me nuts, because it's pointless, lazy, and stupid (three things I'm not fond of). I recognize it would be a difficult rule to define and enforce were it made, but it seems like here and there I'm starting to see some people doing this. Might this be a good "suggestion", or am I just being overly anal?

_________________

The New LLD101 splash page (Props to Shieron)

Last edited by Dao Jones on Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
VoicesLLD

Joined: 09 Mar 2004
Posts: 7401
BNet Acct/Realm: Recovering WoW addict.
Offline
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:06 am    Post subject:  

iv seen this, and just thought "what a fool".

personally, i think if you are quoting someone, you should only be quoting what pertains to your responce. theres no need to take up all that extra room posting more quote that has nothing to do with what you are replying.

_________________



Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address 
wfg-dude

Joined: 04 May 2005
Posts: 2663
BNet Acct/Realm: Long Beach, CA
Offline
158.70 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:25 am    Post subject:  

Valid point my friend....

However, how in the world would you EVER enforce it?

I think just having REALLY cool moderators that give us a friendly "slap" on the hand is all we need...and we don't do it again! I would say that 90% of the ppl that use this site are "coachable" and would keep the place clean if u asked us too. The other 10%....Who cares...scroll on down to the real responses. The mouse button wheel makes it about 1 second to bypass idiotic..."me too" responses.

Lotsa Love for all you moderators do for us...

HUGE ROUND OF APPLAUSE!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger 
Display posts from previous:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » LLD101 Forum Information Booth » Suggestion Box
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.1119s ][ Queries: 24 (0.0464s) ][ GZIP on - Debug on ]