LLD101 Forum Index LLD101
Low Level Dueling in 1.12

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:44 pm
All times are UTC - 8
 Forum index » Diablo 2 Discussion Section » General Discussion
Just a game?
Page 1 of 2 [20 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Phyre

BNet Acct/Realm: US East Ladder SC
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:31 pm    Post subject:  Just a game?  

You've probably all heard stories about the assorted forms of scammers and generally annoying/bad people on bnet. However, I had a bit more of a discussion with one of them today. Hell, I didn't even know people did this on a scale that this guy does. He literally befriends people, stays friends with them until they trust him enough to mule stuff with him, then he jacks their gear. He was running off the list of stuff he stole and it was mind boggling the amount of gear he had stolen.

Now, some of you might say the people were stupid to have trusted him. I hear that, and I probably would agree with you. However, I don't know how long he plays the victim. I've met alot of people here and through LLDing that I trust with my gear wholeheartedly and I've only known some of them for 1-2 months or so. If one of them turned on me now, I'd be caught pretty off guard.

This person's excuse (and many other's peoples excuses) consists entirely of "its just a game." To me, it is just a game but I feel your habits and behavior online reflect greatly on who you are in real life. I'm not saying all those PKers (lvl 90s hunting 10s) are actually mass murderers in real life, I'm just saying they probably aren't very nice people. Scammers the same, probably untrustworthy lowlifes. The kind of person that may seem normal at first but once you get to know them you're just waiting for karma or something to catch up to them in the form of a bus or wild animal that feels like maiming them.

Perhaps I take this game too seriously. However, the fact that this is "just a game" doesn't give you permission to be incredibly stupid and is no excuse in my opinion.
Spazz
Victim of the BAN BLUDGEON

BNet Acct/Realm: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada.
0.15 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:17 pm    Post subject:  

No one can honestly say that they haven't attempted to scam, atleast for fun.

I have, back in classic days. When telekenesis could pick anything up, hell yeah, I scammed a bit. Back then Treads Of Cthon were godly, picked meself a few of them bad boys up.

Account: -=-Spazz-=-
Realm: USEast
Characters:
Carousel - 57 Trap Assassin MLD

miataspeeder

BNet Acct/Realm: Arkansas USEast NL
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:43 pm    Post subject:  

I can honestly say that I have never tried to scam anyone. The people on this forum who know me will agree. I would never take a buddies items that he asked me to hold. Even if you asked me to hold a perfect BOTD weapon; I would give it right back to you.

It is sad that you met such a bad person. I think this game effects people in alot of different ways. I look at it as a way to socialize with people that I would never meet in real life. Spazz its not like I will be going to Canada anytime soon.

VoicesLLD

BNet Acct/Realm: Recovering WoW addict.
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:58 pm    Post subject:  

back when i first started playing this game, i tried scamming. simply because i had no items, but also because i was a little childish (was only like 14). i sucked really bad at it and never really got anything.

a lot has changed since then. i see no reason to take a friends items, and i believe a lot in karma. if i do it to someone, some day itll be done to me. and thats something i dont want. ontop of that, i believe a lot in being honorable, a dying belief. if i stole something from someone, it would eat at me every time i used it, or looked at it.

Jerkazoid

BNet Acct/Realm: wscl
4.86 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:02 pm    Post subject:  

imo how u do anything is a reflection of your personality, this individual has a reaction fromation, they used to loose, they coulnt "win" and so has rationalized that backstabing in Diablo is not wrong bc its just a trivial game

hokey is just a game.. so is baseketball.. so is Futball ,,,and look what people do with their lives acording to those games.

i imagine this person probably has typical "scumbag" properties, and excersies them consistantly.

sigh,,,i wish i beileved in Karma.

VoicesLLD

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:17 pm    Post subject:  

i think of it as, its easier to believe in karma, than it is to believe in a god. since i dont believe in a god, i should probably believe in karma.

Spazz

BNet Acct/Realm: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada.
0.15 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:26 pm    Post subject:  

I don't beleive in either god or karma.

Karma is more mind dwelling than it is real. "Oh, no.. one time I stole a pizza, that means.. oh no! my pizza is late, oh my god.. oh.. oh.. someone stole my pizza!"

I don't think it works like that, exactly.

Anyway, back on subject. I've been playing D2 since it came out, and how many years ago was that? Scam's were bigger in classic than you could ever imagine in 1.10. You could telekenesis anything, and there are TONS more scams I use to know, but I forget them now. I use to have a fee of 50k a week for my clan, for the weekly soj gamble attempt, and you know what? stole that 50k.

I'm by no means a "scumbag" in real life, I don't rob people, I don't lie in real life. It's too hard. I have my honor when it comes to lying and stealing, and I hate it. People try and break into my house alot, because it's nice looking on the outside (not that I'm bragging or implying that it is not nice on the inside or anything, just saying) with tons of flowers and stuff, and it's far from any other houses, making it an easy target. We've had our cars attempted broken into twice-three times, we had our garage broken into, we've had countless attempts on our backdoor. Those are the reasons I don't lie in real life. On Diablo it's much easier to express your anger, and get away from how you really act. I'm an asshole in real life, as I am in D2. I have my ego, but other than that... I'm not much the same, beleive it or not.

I hope you mods don't consider this useless, because I think this is an opinion topic.

EDIT: Oh yeah, don't say I'm nothing but an ego and an asshole, or your toast Rolling Eyes

Account: -=-Spazz-=-
Realm: USEast
Characters:
Carousel - 57 Trap Assassin MLD

Nosferatu

BNet Acct/Realm: Ladder East
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 6:05 pm    Post subject:  

I have to agree with phyre..

ive never stolen anything because its not worth it although its a game.
and if you would steal something and run it means u are a coward.
people realize that they can do it on a game and w/e and get away with it. and that shows deep inside that they would do that in real life if nothing could touch them..

people dont do it in real life because they know there are consequences to your actions.
and things are wrong but once u put it on a game they are free of all worries unless your a god damn physco.

and i dont think this is a a game to do befriend and steal if you want to do something like that thats y theres a hostility mod.

if blizzard designed this game to befriend and steal things people that took this game seriously( crazy nerds with gunz) would be able to trust noone and theyd live in fear that someone might steal there items..
GODZ!

BNet Acct/Realm: ECWK
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:04 pm    Post subject:  

hmm :(
scamming can be fun, i c it as a way to clear out newbs

EDIT: i took out everything becuse that's not a good thing, sorry for boasting. new me coming. a ... modest one.

ive done it when im very bored. but i haven't done it in a very long time becuase i feel, it's wrong. now i just go on hc and pk, sort of the same rush.

and i don't have the bad heart enough to befriend then backstab.
Phyre

BNet Acct/Realm: US East Ladder SC
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:20 pm    Post subject:  

Glad to see some other people agree with me here. As I've become more powerful in this game, I've been trying harder and harder to be a nicer person when I can. I remember when I wasn't very rich nor had much experience with this game I always saw the other guys with their incredibly powerful (read: hacked to high hell) chars generally being assholes. I told myself that one day I'd have that kind of power, and when I did I'd be better than them.

I can't PK people really since I end up feeling bad later. One guy took up the good fight against the evil pker and I rewarded him for his protection of the rest of the party. Dropped him a shako and an SS because I saw in him what I once was.

Enough with my D2 life story.

For the record, I haven't tried to scam someone out of items before. Also, there are certain kinds of scamming that do weed out noobs but some will take anyone by surprise unless you were aware of this kind of scam prior to the engagement. Also, I have little sympathy for those that get scammed whilst seeking hacks/dupe methods/especially account theft utilities.
Knarl
You're Doomed

BNet Acct/Realm: USWest NL: *IK_Knarl, *NewKnarl2
1.21 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:04 pm    Post subject:  

The closest I came to scamming someone was when I was relatively new to the game (at least the online part) and one of my acquaintences was in a game with me, and he showed me a pair of war travs he had recently grabbed off of someone's body that had popped in a previous game. (This was when a pair of war travs was an extravagent item for me)

He put them up in the trade window, and I decided to have a little fun. So I rapidly clicked the accept trade button to see if he would try and click it without having it accept the trade. He ended up doing it a couple times successfully, but after a few times he timed it badly and I got the war travs.

He was like, "INSERT SWEAR WORD OF YOUR CHOICE HERE!!! PLEASE GIVE THEM BACK!!!"

So I told him, "Why, they aren't yours, you stole them from someone else, so now they're mine." He was freaking out, and I figured I had taught him somewhat of a lesson, so I dropped them and he took them back and he thanked me and left.

gaffelirompa

BNet Acct/Realm: Europe Ladder ladder (Norway)
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 2:44 am    Post subject:  

I must say I have never scammed anyone myself eather,
and ive played alot.

And ive always tried to be a nice person on bnett, thats some of the reason why I dont have more than one mule, the rest of the items are given away.

And sometimes my helping people for free also pay of in the long run.
Theres always someone on the friendlist I know i can trust to mule anything, and they trust me.

But the amount of nice players one bnett seems to go down,
I constantly meet people in every game beeing assholes, and maby one person per 20 game is a nice one.

Ive also have had the oppertunity to meet someone on bnett and chat whit him for like an hour. realy nice person (especialy since his hammerdin is lvl 98 and he just gave me a IK armour (thats more value that i have) just for beeing nice.

So the thing i would say to you all d2 players, Be nice to the ppl on bnett, And dont get scammed =)

(lotta grammar errors and such here i would guess, dont bother trying to get me to fix it up, wont happen=)
Jayaz_Forteck

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 5:29 am    Post subject:  

Back in .09, when I was starting out, I made up a scam to nab prospective dupers. I'd make games called 'I dupe for u' or something like, that, and set it to two players. The scam was pretty complicated, and i got some decent stuff (for me... at the time).

My biggest hits were a dwarf star, a swordguard, and a pair of magefists, on three seperate games. I really flipped over the swordguard, I remember I managed to trade some other random stuff i had for a second one and then i ran around using them on my dual weild ww barb (who couldn't kill nm cows btw Embarassed )

They looked so cool... but I was convinced that they allowed me to block without a shield, because they add to block. heh.

I haven't tried to scam in awhile, mainly because I'm too lazy to try and execute my dupe scam.. But I've never felt sorry for the people who came to my games looking to dupe. Backstabbing a friend is much worse, a kid on b.net tried that on me this week actually. It was kinda funny in retrospect, because i don't really have anything worth stealing. Anyway, I knew the kid for about a month, and he was like "come to a game, I gotta tell you something". And he was weird like that, so I didn't think it strange. Then when I get there he's like "go to jarek.net/robert and download the program there, it's a new mh"

First of all, I don't use mh, second of all, when I investigated the site, it was a blank page with the program 'occymaker.exe' for download...

ThatGuy

BNet Acct/Realm: MONTREAL YAA! Quit d2
5.36 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:21 am    Post subject:  

Guess it's my turn Rolling Eyes

During my d2 times, I've lost my accounts 3 times in total. The first time I lost my account, it was done by 3 local friends I always hang out with. Yeah they took EVERYTHING, the funniest part was when they showed me the "godly items" they "got in trades", like "ThatGuy's Cruel Colossus sword of the Lamprey" ROFL. Anyways (yes, this is VERY retarded) one of those friend came up to me and said "Hey, I was in a game the other day, and I overheard these 2 guys talking to each other in a game. They said they stole an account called *That.Guy. and that they changed the PW to "craft"". I'm like "Oh really? Wow thanks for the info Alex, I'll keep that in mind." I got my account back, sucked dry including my gold!

Anyways, I'm pretty sure those same friends have stolen some money from me, probably about 60 bucks in total, but I have no proof yet Evil or Very Mad .
They constantly do anni scams in games and have gotten a couple items. I told this to one of my friends, and he's like "WTF what retards". So then he asked me what their char names they were, and what game they were in. Time passed, he came back to my game and said "HAHA What newbs I got their anni and a screenshot". Laughing

So yeah I guess I do believe in Karma, and I guess d2 behavior reflects your real life behavoir. I feel like we're on Dr. Phil now Rolling Eyes

Those same friends still owe me 35 bucks! Evil or Very Mad

VoicesLLD

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:03 am    Post subject:  

you do realize those arent friends right? anyone who steals from you isnt a friend, just some leech who uses you.

Page 1 of 2 [20 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
 Forum index » Diablo 2 Discussion Section » General Discussion
Jump to: