LLD101 Forum Index LLD101
Low Level Dueling in 1.12

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:55 am
All times are UTC - 8
 Forum index » Diablo 2 Discussion Section » LLD Discussion » LLD Guides
Level 18 Firewall Sorc
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]  
Roy
My level 18s > yours

223.30 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:59 am    Post subject:  Level 18 Firewall Sorc
Subject description: New build for 1.13

Hey everyone, long time no see. Since I haven't been active here for quite some time, I figured I'd write a guide for my new level 18 build: the FW sorc. I built it to take advantage of the new synergies in 1.13.

Concept:
An 18 sorc that uses FW as its main skill. The main problem is that Firewall requires its target to stay in place.

To resolve this problem, this build will buff Shiver Armor to tank melee duelers. It casts FW while melee chars struggle to break through its massive defense.

Gear:

Weapon: Ideally, a 4 Firewall Orb. +3 Firewall is acceptable, but the build will not be as strong.

Shield: 17 FHR / 30/20 / 2 open socket Bone Shield. You want to get as close to 65% ED as possible on the shield. Socket your shield with two Perfect Amethysts.

Helmet: Either a rare +1 Fire Skills Circlet or a Tarnhelm. Socket with either a PRuby, PSapphire, or Pskull.

Amulet: Either a rare +1 Fire Skills amulet or an Eye of Etlich.

Rings: The key here is to buff your mana as much as possible. Ideally, you will use rare rings with over 40 mana (mana + energy affixes).

Switch Weapon: Ideally, a +4 Shiver Armor orb. +3 Shiver armor is much more commonplace though. Sig's Shield on the switch; use this to buff your defense before you duel.

Armor: An eth/rep Ancient Armor. Ideally with 17+ FHR as a mod. Socket this with a defense/-reqs jewel.

Gloves/Boots/Belt:
Two options here:

First option, Sigon's Trio. You get +100 defense as a set bonus and the belt gets +2 defense per char level (36 added to the base). You want gloves with 15 defense, greaves with 15 defense, and an 11 defense belt.

Second option: Bloodfists / Cowkings / Rare 24 fhr belt
What I currently use on my sorc. You will hit a higher FHR BP this way, but you will lose out on Defense from the Sigon's trio. You'll get about an extra 100 life this way though.

Skills:
1 Point in Firewall + 2 Prereqs
18 Points in Warmth (Firewall synergy)
All leftover points into Shiver Armor (5 total)

Stats:
With a bone shield, you'll need 60 dex to hit 75% block. You'll need 75 str to use a -15% reqs eth/rep ancient. The rest of your points should go into Vitality.

Charms:
As many 15 life / defense SC's as you can amass. 15/8 defense is perfect.

yarly
heprea
pokemon fanatic

BNet Acct/Realm: europe laddars
8.01 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:07 pm    Post subject:  

A new def based character? Sounds great, if I'll get my hands on eth/repair anc armor I'll be sure to test this. :)

Looks nice quide for me.

have you thought about using 6dex/20def(i think 20 was max for 18lvl) jewels instead of p ame? that way you would lose some def but would get more life this way(60dex is high if you go for the sigons trio) and the loss of defense would be something like 6 or 7 cant remember how the +def% worked from dex.

WestLLDer

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:29 pm    Post subject:  

wouldn't cleglaws gloves be better than those 2 options?
Jerkazoid

BNet Acct/Realm: wscl
4.86 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Level 18 Firewall Sorc

can u cast the shiver armor with just an item and save the 8 points?
8% more syn dmg, is that worth it?

Clops

BNet Acct/Realm: East Non-ladder only: sir_cyclops
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:18 am    Post subject:  

is this any more viable at level 30?

regardless, im definitely making this build.
Roy
My level 18s > yours

223.30 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject:  

I think at level 30 it would be a whole different type of build. Your FW damage would probably be strong enough that you could play it as more of a ranged char.

I find that, at level 18, the FW damage is too low to work against most ranged chars. It only hurts them for a second before they move out of the flames, and if they have any sort of Fire Res, it barely makes a dent on their life.

Jerkazoid, I thought about putting the other 8 points into Inferno for the synergy, but I think the Def is much needed. Although you can play the char as more of a defensive caster, but the goal of my build is to stand toe-to-toe with zealots.

I've also started to use a Sigon's Shield (with PAmethyst) -- after testing it out, zealots with 75% fire resist really doesn't give me enough time to be able to kill them. I have enough FHR from Bloodfists, my belt, and my armor that losing 17 fhr and the block-rate doesn't seem to hurt me too much.

I still get put into block-lock by zealots, but I can usually get off a cast of FW when the timer finishes. My damage is up to 672 max, which is an extra 12 damage per second pre-resists.

Haven't had a chance to test it out against 75% fire res chars, but the Sigon's Shield blocking was holding up well enough against Elusive's zealot. I think it will work better against lesser chars.

The magic number appears to be about 2k defense, from what I've noticed. Right now, with Sig's Shield, I'm just over 2000. However, I want to replace three life/def SC's with a mana / RW grand charm eventually, so I'll either have to switch to Tarnhelm / Eye of Etlich, or find a nice eth/rep ancient with 24 fhr or rep.

Or, my other plan, roll some sorc orbs until I get a +4 shiver armor prebuff orb. Would make a huge difference for the build's effectiveness.

yarly
D jr

BNet Acct/Realm: Europe ladder
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 12:34 am    Post subject:  

Good stuff. Must be fun when some1 duels your sorc the first time. They never expect a build like this ^

How does it go when a zealot has a good jav on switch?
Clops

BNet Acct/Realm: East Non-ladder only: sir_cyclops
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject:  

yaeh i have one i threw together. its not bad at all against pubs. with a perfect build i believe it can give many melees a run for their money. while i can do enough damage to kill them in around 15 seconds. i die after about 7 or 8.
Roy
My level 18s > yours

223.30 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Level 18 Firewall Sorc

Jerkazoid wrote:
can u cast the shiver armor with just an item and save the 8 points?
8% more syn dmg, is that worth it?

I just respec'ed it to give this a try.

My damage went up about 32 points (both min and max) -- it's 664-706 fw now iirc.

My defense went down from 2000 to 1700.

Jerkazoid, I know you're godly at the math calcs -- do you think this trade off is worth it? I'm going to test it out against Elusive and see how the defense holds up.

Once I get a 4 shiver armor orb (ha), the def will go up about 40 points. I could also switch to an Eye of Etlich or a Tarnhelm, but I'd lose 65 life / 25 rep from my ammy / circlet.

Edit: Thanks to the prevalence of item-shopped GC's, pretty much all zealots will have 3k AR for now. Not sure how that figures into the calculations, but it's how I plan my defense. 1700 def vs. 2000 def against a 3k AR zealot.

yarly
Jerkazoid

4.86 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 9:38 am    Post subject:  

Roy wrote:

My damage went up about 32 points (both min and max) -- it's 664-706 fw now iirc.

My defense went down from 2000 to 1700.
from a standard avg vs % it is not all that worth it.. as the 32 points is about 4.9% increase in dmg. but 300 def lost on 2000 is a 15%

but there is rounding in CTH% and blocking and you are targeting a specific AR.
http://baronsbazaar.invisionzone.com/ppr/ar_calc.html

lvl 18 sorc with X def

2000 def; 18 zealot needs
4250 ar to hit you 17% (6.25% more hits)
3556 ar to hit you 16% (6.66% more hits)
3000 ar to hit you 15% (7.14% more hits)
2546 ar to hit you 14% -

1700 def; 18 zealot needs
3613 ar to hit you 17% (6.25% more hits)
3023 ar to hit you 16% (6.66% more hits)
2550 ar to hit you 15% (7.14% more hits)
2164 ar to hit you 14% -

notice the safety ranges

i think id go for the +4.9% effective dmg, bc id play slightly defensive. as a zealot could hit 3023 and upto 3612 and still only have that same 16% hit chance. that is a wide margin they are locked into and effective 6.66% vs 4.9% is marginal

if for sure you know opponents are under 3000 ar the 2000 def has more value.

Elusive

BNet Acct/Realm: *elusive-
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 11:50 am    Post subject:  

due to the influx of item shopped zealots, its easily safe to say all 18 zealots have 3k+ AR. sad, but true

i have ~3100 with conc and ~4200 with baim up, but not 4250.

i think he is better with the 1700 def route. most zealots still use might
Roy
My level 18s > yours

223.30 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject:  

Awesome, thank you Jerkazoid -- I didn't realize that the AR calculator worked for PvP.

PPR is pretty much a genius, ha.

yarly
heprea
pokemon fanatic

BNet Acct/Realm: europe laddars
8.01 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 10:35 am    Post subject:  

heprea wrote:

have you thought about using 6dex/20def(i think 20 was max for 18lvl) jewels instead of p ame? that way you would lose some def but would get more life this way(60dex is high if you go for the sigons trio) and the loss of defense would be something like 6 or 7 cant remember how the +def% worked from dex.

any comments on this?

Also, this might be familiar to some ppl already but, could this work as temp armor? as you mentioned the 17% fhr mod as "wanted", so far iv seen this armor as magical blue armor with 50%ed / -10 req that got 2 sockets from larzuk.

Harpel

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 7:39 am    Post subject:  

There are two probs i see with this:

1. Magic reduce on Nagelrings might completely abs you, because firewall doesn't deal it's immense damage at once but a portion every frame.

Example:
2 Nagels -> 6magdamred
6 * 25 = 150 Magdamred every second
150 Dam equals 882 Screendam reduced. That doesn't even take into account ANY kind of res.

lvl 30 is even worse: Vipern 13abs + string 15abs
28*25 = 700 Magdamred every sec wich is 4117 screendam, again without res.

2. The opponent has to stand still. You said that you plan to fight zealots. I guess any zealot will start charging or throwing at you.

Did you test this? Maybe I am wrong, but these probs might be very disappointing.
Jerkazoid

4.86 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 7:05 pm    Post subject:  

Harpel wrote:

Example:
2 Nagels -> 6magdamred
6 * 25 = 150 Magdamred every second

this is based on old info

in 1.08 or 09 MDR was applied every frame, now frame-based spells experience a limit on how much MDR mitigates them

this is more upto date
http://www.ladderhall.com/ericjwin/109/gustafsson/mdrmod.html

firewall gets MDR applied once/sec, however it seems to apply the damage from 3 samples (possibly based on size in PvM)

Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]  
 Forum index » Diablo 2 Discussion Section » LLD Discussion » LLD Guides
Jump to: