LLD101 Forum Index LLD101
Low Level Dueling in 1.12

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:58 pm
All times are UTC - 8
 Forum index » Off-Topic Section » Off-Topic Discussion
Son of a bitch
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]  
AmishSpeedGoat

BNet Acct/Realm: Yes
38.99 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject:  Son of a bitch
Subject description: viruses....

Last edited by AmishSpeedGoat on Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Magi

10.15 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:37 am    Post subject:  

Can you log in using "Safe Mode"? If so, u may want to run "Hijack This!". I keep it saved (.zipped or .exe install file) in My Documents for occasions such as this. Smile VERY useful program. There is also another one called (i think) Malwarebyte that I have started using recently.

Generally speaking, when you reformat your hard drive, it SHOULD solve your problem. That's a last resort though... I'd also wait on a second opinion on that. Smile
AmishSpeedGoat

38.99 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:55 am    Post subject:  

Last edited by AmishSpeedGoat on Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jerkazoid

BNet Acct/Realm: wscl
4.86 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:30 pm    Post subject:  

you can wipe the system etc,, but your overall pictures, artworks, music etc,, should be safe right?

i got the PokaPoka virus on my machine 3 years back and i could not clean it, i pretty much used it as an excuse to buy a new machine back then.. i xfered my assets drive t the new machine and no virus went with it.... so i was able to salvage all my work/music etc...

i took it to some friends house (guys works for a MS co now) and he couldnt get rid of it completely.. it would reconfigure itself everytime Sad

another friend suggested something about partitions.. system and certain programs on 1 part.. and much of the other stuff on another.. he formats his system drive every few months and re-installs. which i find nuts.. but he does it

Magi

10.15 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:03 pm    Post subject:  

It's actually a tool that assists you with removing things. It doesn't actually do it all for you like Adaware or an antivirus program. It will make a list of browser helper objects (BHO's), startup programs, etc etc. It's VERY useful but there's a bit of a learning curve to figure out what is necessary/useful and what should be removed. Fortunately, there are also lots of forums where you can post the Hijack This! log for some assistance.

I give it * * * * *
KnightXENO2

BNet Acct/Realm: West Ladder
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject:  

Sadly sounds like you will have to reformat.

To save yourself future pain I suggest doing one of several things for "next time":
1) back up all your really hard to replace stuff (DVD's, a removable HD, w/e)
2) When you formate use atleast 2 HD partitions. One for windows and program installs, and one for anything file related. Good thing about this is if windows get virused you can reformat/reinstall on just the one partition and keep all your old data.
3)If ever infected again, pull your internet cord before trying to remove anything nasty. Not familiar with that particular virus but sounds like it was just a vehicle to download more onto your system

Sorry for your data loss.

AmishSpeedGoat

38.99 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:52 pm    Post subject:  

Wank

BNet Acct/Realm: Imp StormsRaider
57.98 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:56 pm    Post subject:  

On a side note, the only way a virus can "dig deep down" is if it infects your BIOS/POST. This is semi-improbable though because the virus would have to be custom made for your computer. If you really don't want it to happen again, you could try using a Linux OS (Doesn't save you from all viruses, it's just that most viruses aren't made to infect Linux systems)

The best thing you could do is make sure to have backup files of your data and an image of your working OS, so whenever you get infected again, you can simply delete the partition, and ghost the image over; problem solved.

Equipped Lvl 30's:
Froggy-Leap Attacker, Vidala- Bow, Starly-Wind, Haunter-Bonenec, Dragonair-Fissure, Vileplume-Psn Jav, Clefairy- Wc

http://img104.imagevenue.com/loc1100/th_30982_ImpAvatar_122_1100lo.jpg(didnt want to lose that link Surprised
AmishSpeedGoat

38.99 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:27 pm    Post subject:  

Last edited by AmishSpeedGoat on Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wank

57.98 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject:  

Thats the joy of Linux, open source software is free Very Happy. Not hard to do doubleboot either.

http://www.qnx.com/developers/docs/6.3.2/neutrino/building/building_nto.html
Everything you need to do. In a way its like backing up your hard drive, slightly different though.

Equipped Lvl 30's:
Froggy-Leap Attacker, Vidala- Bow, Starly-Wind, Haunter-Bonenec, Dragonair-Fissure, Vileplume-Psn Jav, Clefairy- Wc

http://img104.imagevenue.com/loc1100/th_30982_ImpAvatar_122_1100lo.jpg(didnt want to lose that link Surprised
AmishSpeedGoat

38.99 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject:  

Last edited by AmishSpeedGoat on Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wank

57.98 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject:  

AmishSpeedGoat wrote:
Wank wrote:
Thats the joy of Linux, open source software is free Very Happy. Not hard to do doubleboot either.

http://www.qnx.com/developers/docs/6.3.2/neutrino/building/building_nto.html
Everything you need to do. In a way its like backing up your hard drive, slightly different though.

Will this create lag on my computer or slow anything down?

Nossir. It will take a bit of HD space, unless you choose to boot from CD. It won't slow your computer down at all though. Probably the best Linux for you to start out on, if you are still interested, is ubuntu/kubuntu/xubuntu. There is hundreds of flavors of Linux, so you can find one that you like best. Whatever you do, don't pay for it, Linux is free. Some people will charge for a package deal, I consider this to be bs though.

Equipped Lvl 30's:

Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]  
 Forum index » Off-Topic Section » Off-Topic Discussion
Jump to: