LLD101 Forum Index LLD101
Low Level Dueling in 1.12

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:05 pm
All times are UTC - 8
 Forum index » Off-Topic Section » Off-Topic Discussion
External HD + X-box360 Questions
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]  
Zebb

BNet Acct/Realm: Canada, Eh?
0.01 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject:  External HD + X-box360 Questions
Subject description: Calling all you smart kids.

Keep in mind im ignorant in regards to things like this.
My last gaming system was a SNES.

Here's my plan:

Since i'm still a big fan of those old games, a friend of mine told me to get a new system and put an emulator on it, that way i can download every SNES, SEGA, NES, Gameboy and all that other cool stuff (more gaming systems the better).
I've been told X-box 360 was the ideal system to use?
I looked at this Nintendo Wii which looks cool as hell, would it be possible to do it on that system?
I work as a mechanic, how hard is it to "hack" these things? Would i be able to do it myself?
I've been told if i hack my system i can no longer play games online with it, is this true?
Basically looking for asmuch information as possible.

Part 2:

I download alot of movies and what not, like 600 gigs worth of crap. So i've been looking into external hard drives. What i have been doing is copying the video files onto a USB flash drive, plugging them into my dvd players flash port and playing them off there. From what i understand, a external HD is, and works the same way, so i'd be able to copy crap on there and plug it into my DVD player and watch w/e is on there?
Assuming i get a "insert ideal system name from question above", would i be able to plug the external HD into that and use it as a media player?
I'd be looking for something quite large, what are good brand names?
What stats do i want to look for? basically whats good?

Thanks in advance.
Magi

10.15 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject:  

You could always purchase a wii, and download the Virtual Console games which may include many that you're familiar with, from waaaaay back when they used to wind up cars. ::wink wink::
Wank

BNet Acct/Realm: Imp StormsRaider
57.98 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject:  

Best thing you could do is just use your computer/laptop, much simpler as well. Hacking your system, whichever you choose, isn't a difficult task at all, but screwing up could ruin the whole thing. There is an emulator for the NES, SNES, SEGA, Gameboy, PS, N64, and more.

Would you be able to do it yourself... yes and no, depending on how knowledgeable with the technology. There is step-by-step guides, depending on what path you choose.

Quote:
I've been told if i hack my system i can no longer play games online with it, is this true?

No. The only drawback for most is you can't use your systems OFW updates. (Well usually you can't, but you wouldn't want to anyways)

Quote:
Assuming i get a "insert ideal system name from question above", would i be able to plug the external HD into that and use it as a media player?

PS3/360 yes, Wii would take some modding though.

Let me know what you decide to do

Equipped Lvl 30's:
Froggy-Leap Attacker, Vidala- Bow, Starly-Wind, Haunter-Bonenec, Dragonair-Fissure, Vileplume-Psn Jav, Clefairy- Wc

http://img104.imagevenue.com/loc1100/th_30982_ImpAvatar_122_1100lo.jpg(didnt want to lose that link Surprised
Knifer

BNet Acct/Realm: Hawaii/Oregon
1.39 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: External HD + X-box360 Questions
Subject description: Calling all you smart kids.

Zebb wrote:
Keep in mind im ignorant in regards to things like this.
My last gaming system was a SNES.

Here's my plan:

Since i'm still a big fan of those old games, a friend of mine told me to get a new system and put an emulator on it, that way i can download every SNES, SEGA, NES, Gameboy and all that other cool stuff (more gaming systems the better).
I've been told X-box 360 was the ideal system to use?

yea ive heard about 360s being modded and i dont think its that hard

Quote:

I looked at this Nintendo Wii which looks cool as hell, would it be possible to do it on that system?

with the wii you might have to do some soldering. ive heard that there is a chip you can just clip on but havent read too much about it

as wank said, its a LOT easier to just do it on the computer. maybe just hook it up to the tv and play it like that

Quote:
From what i understand, a external HD is, and works the same way, so i'd be able to copy crap on there and plug it into my DVD player and watch w/e is on there?

dont know how your dvd player works but that sound right.

Quote:

maybe you are mixing up the 360 HD with an external HD?
external HDs are basically the same as the HDs inside the computer but connect through firewire/usb and some need an outlet

the 360 has its own hard drive and i believe there is a bigger one you can buy. the wii has a HD but not sure how big it is. you can also store stuff on an SD card for the wii and im assuming you can play it off of there.

Quote:

I'd be looking for something quite large, what are good brand names?
What stats do i want to look for? basically whats good?

if its just a regular external HD for your computer, you can look on newegg.com or even look around department stores cause they will probably have sales right now.

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=414&name=External-Hard-Drives

i myself have an iomega and phantom external, but western digital and seagate should be good too.

if you are just playing SNES, SEGA, NES, Gameboy then any is fine but you probably want to get a bigger one for those movies

another option to do emulation is the nintendo ds which is what i have. you can play ds games, advance, color, super nes, gameboy, sega, and nes. they just came out with chrono trigger ds here in japan too. they also came out with the nintendo dsi with a camera, sd slot, and some wifi stuff

Zebb

BNet Acct/Realm: Canada, Eh?
0.01 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject:  

What things should i be looking for on an external HD?
I see things like:

Average Seek Time: 8.5ms
Data Buffer: 16MB
Maximum Data Transfer Rate: 10/100/1000 Mbps

And have no clue if these are good or not? I also see thinks like "Web Only" on some of them, not sure what that means 110% either.

From the looks of it, Xbox 360 is the wise choice since it has rock band and guitar hero, which i learned to like while i was up north in bush camps.

Guess just a matter of doing some research and finding out what exactly to do to mod these suckers.
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]  
 Forum index » Off-Topic Section » Off-Topic Discussion
Jump to: