LLD101 Forum Index LLD101
Low Level Dueling in 1.12

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:45 am
All times are UTC - 8
 Forum index » Off-Topic Section » Off-Topic Discussion
A simple method to avoid my laptop being watched?
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]  
AmishSpeedGoat

BNet Acct/Realm: Yes
38.99 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject:  A simple method to avoid my laptop being watched?
Subject description: Its so simple it just might work

Ok to make a long story short Me and my buddies got caught abusing the laptops in our school with programs we shouldnt of had on there. This caused a huge uproar and now the school has installed a beta program that they are working on which will allow them to watch whatever we are doing whenever (previously they had to have the laptop with them in person).

Now at our school they use wireless internet, so my thought was, if i turn off the wireless signal on my laptop would that prevent them from being able to watch my computer? I wouldnt be able to surf the net but should that shield my computer from being watched? Especially if im at home?

And yes im typing this all on my PC Laughing
Grim04

BNet Acct/Realm: Grim04/UWNL
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject:  

Don't let them install anything on your personal computer.
sPiN
The tool formerly known as Tool

BNet Acct/Realm: Quit D2.
22.16 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject:  

Grim04 wrote:
Don't let them install anything on your personal computer.
They're the schools laptops, they can do as they please with them. Razz

AmishSpeedGoat

38.99 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject:  

Yea. I just wanted to know if it would actually work or not. It seems logical but with computers now adays one never knows...
Torrent

BNet Acct/Realm: Torrent@USEast
13.37 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject:  

I assume the program is installed on the computer in a hidden folder, and keeps a log that sends either periodically or on request. So no, there's really no point. You got your school fucked.

I don't want a cycle of recycled revenge

I don't wanna follow Death And All of His Friends
http://lld101.com/viewtopic.php?t=44473 (for my own reference)
AmishSpeedGoat

38.99 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject:  

Torrent wrote:
I assume the program is installed on the computer in a hidden folder, and keeps a log that sends either periodically or on request. So no, there's really no point. You got your school fucked.

Your probobly right because i believe thats how they could view it if they had the computer in there possesion. This new update just lets them look at us anywhere and whenever. Rolling Eyes. Ive never liked using them for that reason and this only adds on to it.

What gets me is the ignorance of my fellow classmates. They think by deleteing your browser history and IM conversations the school cant look at it. Thats why i rarely talk on yahoo anymore is cause im sick of getting introuble by talking to people when they are on their laptops with them thinking no one can look at it.
Knifer

BNet Acct/Realm: Hawaii/Oregon
1.39 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: A simple method to avoid my laptop being watched?

AmishSpeedGoat wrote:
Now at our school they use wireless internet, so my thought was, if i turn off the wireless signal on my laptop would that prevent them from being able to watch my computer?

Whats the point then? Depending what you are doing, you most likely need the internet for it. They can see where, who, and when you are logged into the wireless. It would probably mean not using the internet, at all. Depending on the programs they use, it could send stuff back to the school whether you are in the wireless or a 3rd party internet line. It'd be a safer bet to use your PC and not use the schools wireless for whatever you are doing.

Why delete IM conversations? Unless you are talking about blowing stuff up or blatantly illegal stuff they cant really do anything based on it.

I've seen programs that can view your screen remotely and watch what you are doing in real time. If you want to get hardcore, you could always search the computer for the programs you use and find a way to counter it. Or if they haven't installed the new program on your computer yet and suck at it, you could install deepfreeze, freeze your computer, bring it to them to install the program, restart computer, no more program. but then again if they arent logging anything from your computer you would get in even more trouble.

AmishSpeedGoat

38.99 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: A simple method to avoid my laptop being watched?

Knifer wrote:
Why delete IM conversations? Unless you are talking about blatantly illegal stuff they cant really do anything based on it.

Well what i was thinking about wasnt internet related so the wireless signal wouldnt matter.

Ohwell thanks for the input.
ubermoose
LLD101 Staff

BNet Acct/Realm: Europe
3.49 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:50 am    Post subject:  

I wouldnt think it would work if you turn the wireless off. Its unlikely to store it and send it all back at once.

I also doubt they will even look at the logs unless they have a reason too. Unless it flags up that you are using a program they have blacklisted.

Seems like a lot of trouble to play a few offline games.
AmishSpeedGoat

38.99 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject:  

See thats what i thought, the only problem is I know im under the watchful eye because i was the first one to be caught.

It was games that started what they are doing lol.
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]  
 Forum index » Off-Topic Section » Off-Topic Discussion
Jump to: