LLD101 Forum Index LLD101
Low Level Dueling in 1.12

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:14 am
All times are UTC - 8
 Forum index » Off-Topic Section » Diablo 3
diablo3..
Page 1 of 6 [88 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
luminaire-x

BNet Acct/Realm: useast ladder
5.10 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject:  diablo3..
Subject description: wow

PlanetDiablo | Diablo 3 | Introduction

Introduction

A third game in a series that has taken the gaming world by storm since 1996.

Game Play and Design

The days of 2D isometric viewpoint games, in which style both Diablo and Diablo 2 are designed, are over. These rich two dimensional worlds have been replaced by even richer 3D worlds in games such as The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, Dungeon Siege II, and Neverwinter Nights 2. One certain characteristic of Diablo 3's world is a three dimensional environment set on a much larger scale than either of the two previous games.

Diablo 3 will not just be about defeating the big bad bosses and all the little fallen ones along the way. It will not just be about collecting the best equipment. It will certainly not just be the player and his character watching the story develop. Diablo 3 will extend beyond its "hack 'n' slash" roots into a game that will set the player deep in the intricate world of Sanctuary. This time, instead of being the hero that saves the world by slaying a thousand monsters, it will be significantly more complicated.

The foundation of the series is demon slaying action, and that certainly will play a part in the game. Perhaps you will lead teams against demon and human foes, and also take part in individual missions that preserves the lone hero spirit of the series. It's likely that the game will be highly team-oriented and the quests involved will be more involved than ever before.

To MMOG or not To MMOG

One big question regarding Diablo 3 is whether it will be lumped onto the MMOG (Massively Multiplayer Online Game) platform that has been extremely successful and profitable for Blizzard Entertainment and Vivendi Universal Games thanks to World of Warcraft's growth and popularity. At it's current peak the game boasts some eight million active subscribers world-wide, with more than half of the market share of the MMOG genre.

Blizzard Entertainment may choose not to take Diablo into the MMOG world for various reasons. The series was founded with a compelling single-player narrative style, and focusing solely on multi-player features arguably goes against the nature of the game and may alienate certain players. Setting up another subscription game alongside World of Warcraft would naturally cannibalize some demand, just as features would overlap on various levels. The character classes and skills of World of Warcraft already heavily overlap and extend beyond what is offered in Diablo 2, so the most important asset of a new game could be the effectiveness of the story line and its development.

The story behind the series would need to be broadly extended to sustain the monumental size of a good MMOG experience, and possibly even that of a modern role-playing game. Blizzard Entertainment has subtly been hinting toward a re-tooling of the lore, with the Pocket Books novel series The Sin War. The company has said that the book trilogy will be the basis for future games in the Diablo series, while the other novels provide additional material to reference.

i just got this off planetdiablo. Im definitely not playing D3 if its 3D, that will completely ruin it imo i dont like games like WoW
Waramp

0.59 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject:  

i would Smile

http://forums.d2jsp.org/index.php?showuser=246043
Meegz ?

BNet Acct/Realm: *meegz @ east ladder
39.74 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject:  

i'd hit it
Napalm loves the little children of the world.
KnightXENO2

BNet Acct/Realm: West Ladder
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject:  

All depends. 3d itself isn't whats bad.... its the implementation of it. Most (if not all) MMORPG's are bastardized controls at best. One of the great things about D2 (besides the item-whoring ever-loving goodness of infintesinable character detail) was how well the movement fighting is. For too many MMORPG I can't always tell if its an action game or a turn based game... :/

Diablo plays more like a freeform zelda as far as fighting (atleast SNES days zelda), instead of like an online form of finalFantasy (aka you can tell it was designed to be turned based and the adaptation is poor). Part of that IS a result of D2 being 2d (the mouseclick movement thing loses ALOT in a 3d world).

---------------------------------------------
All that being said, if they make movement/controls more like in say UT but keep it 3rd person (although the option for 1st person view wouldn't be bad I just don't want it forced on me) I wouldn't have a problem with it. Although the game was mainly crap, a game WAS made how I described and the movement worked well (rune was the game but I doubt many played it). As for how they implement skills/items/levels/online ability or not......... we will have to see. But from what I've seen diablo's setting of hosting games on a server instead of a few massive servers everyone plays on seems to be an important part of what is diablo (as well as being cheaper!).

If the controls suck, making characters isn't as fun as on D2, or if they have everyone on big servers like WoW/guild-wars I'll pass. I still have high hopes though beccause they can milk WoW as it is for a long time with up-dates and an eventual sequal. They seem to know they should keep diablo different. [I and I think blizzard would be surprised if WoW has as many people as diablo2 does 10+ years from its release]

luminaire-x

5.10 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject:  

i also like the bird's eye view of looking down at your character
Torrent

BNet Acct/Realm: Torrent@USEast
13.37 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject:  

luminaire-x wrote:

couldnt they just keep it that way but make it 3d?

I don't want a cycle of recycled revenge

I don't wanna follow Death And All of His Friends
http://lld101.com/viewtopic.php?t=44473 (for my own reference)
luminaire-x

5.10 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject:  

i wish they would, i wouldn't mind that. but i love d2 because you can see around yourself, hack and slash, and what knight said its not turned base
Jerkazoid

BNet Acct/Realm: wscl
4.86 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject:  

Torrent wrote:
luminaire-x wrote:

couldnt they just keep it that way but make it 3d?

yes, and they probably will.

sprite based graphics have some perks, 3d engines allow users to control the resolution (as well as the angle) it is what users have come to expect as thus the better "market" choice.

there are also some technical budget saving tricks with sprite particles and the fact that you can create dozens of animations without taking up anywhere nears as much HD space. besides its REAL hard to have 100ft monsters on isometric sprite games

Torrent

13.37 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject:  

That's too bad...i suppose that d2 players have become the minority though, so you cant really expect anything else.

Jerkazoid

BNet Acct/Realm: wscl
4.86 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject:  

oh yes and i forget to mention the dynamic frame rate.. u can have is 12fps,,, 30fps.. dynamic according to computer,, so its defiently a better choice if u want to cater to people with fast computers (and upgrades) and give the artists more freedom with less hardware restrictions.

Torrent

13.37 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject:  

its times like this, when there are so many different games coming out...when i wish the n64 was still around.

i also wish my keyboard wasn't broken.

ubermoose
LLD101 Staff

BNet Acct/Realm: Europe
3.49 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:53 am    Post subject:  

The n64 is still around.

If you want to see a hint of what i think d3 will be like, take a look at Titanquest. Although the skills are crap, the character creation is bad and the game is rubbish i think the 3d is done quite well and if it was mixed with the game design of d2 it would be great.
Mimes

BNet Acct/Realm: e/sc/l Mimes., Mimes-LLD, Justin27 and 1338
34.96 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject:  

making D3 3D... just like making SC II 3D.

Hopefully they do a good job in both cases. I also hope they add a lot of new aspects to D3 so that there is some new appeal... if it is just like the old D2 only in 3D, i will not buy it. If they add all new acts, a few new character classes, lots more items, as well as make some builds less powerful (Hammerdins) and other builds more powerful (Arcticblasters), then i will probably buy it.

I would also like it more if you could have say 16 players in a single game, and the areas were much bigger. It might be a little bit more like WoW, but i think it would make the game more enjoyable.

Anyways, i guess all we can do is wait and see...and hope it doesn't suck.

1,000th post on 12/12/07
sPiN
The tool formerly known as Tool

BNet Acct/Realm: Quit D2.
22.16 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject:  

I would...

Besides if its anything like wow but free, it'll be the best game ever made... basically.

Torrent

13.37 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject:  

sPiN wrote:
I would...

Besides if its anything like wow but free, it'll be the best game ever made... basically.

But WoW sucks...I don't understand your reasoning.

Page 1 of 6 [88 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
 Forum index » Off-Topic Section » Diablo 3
Jump to: