LLD101 Forum Index LLD101
Low Level Dueling in 1.12

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:17 pm
All times are UTC - 8
 Forum index » Diablo 2 Discussion Section » LLD Discussion » LLD Guides
[9-18] Smiter Guide
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]  
Torrent

BNet Acct/Realm: Torrent@USEast
13.37 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:00 pm    Post subject:  [9-18] Smiter Guide  

There aren't too many variants of Smiters at such low levels because they have basically no damage, but they are cheap, which is why I like them. They require no max damage jewels and no 3-10/xx/life or stat small/large/grand charms.

Smite, as you hopefully know, is a weapon attack that uses shield bashing. Thus, it is affected by IAS.

This guide will explain gear, stats and skills for Smiter Paladins level 9, 15 and 18.

I'll start with something relevant to all levels: Paladin breakpoints.

Code:
 FHR Frames    FCR Frames    FBR Frames   IAS Frames
  0%      9     0%     15     0%      5    0%     11
  7%      8     9%     14    13%      4   11%     10
 15%      7    18%     13    32%      3   26%      9
 27%      6    30%     12    86%      2   48%      8
 48%      5    48%     11      Without    86%      7
 86%      4    75%     10       Holy     180%      6
200%      3    125%     9      Shield

These IAS frames apply ONLY to a Smiter using a [0] speed weapon and no Fanaticism aura.

You probably already know that FCR is not applicable here; I just put it there so people can have easy access to it.

The beauty of a LLD Smiter is that it does not need or even use (except at higher levels) physical damage to kill opponents. At an equal level, Smiters can dominate Zealots because Smite cannot be blocked. Within range, your attack will always hit! Naturally, at this level, there are not many weapon options that will give you a high range, so you'll want to stay close at all times when dueling to keep the upper hand on whichever build you are up against.

Smiters are melee characters; thus, they do best against other melee characters. Some will choose to use a Charge weapon/shield on switch to duel casters, and that is perfectly fine. In fact, I recommend it if you have enough remaining skills. I would not, for example, take points out of an aura being used to gain a point into charge. If you have no points left, invest in a +1-3 charge War Scepter.

The Arreat Summit wrote:
• Smite always hits a target in range, so Attack Rating does not matter when using this skill.
• Smite does not work with Life/Mana % Steal.
• Smite is a weapon skill and thus is affected by Attack Speed (e.g. 'Fanaticism') and is not affected by Cast Rate (e.g. -of the Apprentice). • Smite works with any "X% Chance to cast level Y (spell) upon striking" ability on your weapon.
• Smite does not receive added damage vs. undead with the Sanctuary aura.
• The Fire/Cold/Lightning damage added to attacks with the Holy-Fire, Holy-Freeze, and Holy-Shock auras do not add onto Smite damage.
• Smite can steal life with life tap cursed on target.
• Smite can also deal crushing blow and open wounds damage, but not deadly strike and elemental damages.
• Using Smite will reduce the durability of your weapon NOT shield

Crushing Blow is your main source of damage on a LLD Smiter. Higher levels can use Grief and Last Wish to push their damage high enough to contend with other characters like Zealots (unless said Zealot is also using a Grief). Crushing Blow works by reducing an opponent's life by X%, X being 10% in PvP.

The Arreat Summit wrote:
Crushing Blow
This is a chance of reducing a monster's health by X% in a single blow.

-Default: 1/4th
-vs. Players: 1/10th
-vs. Hirelings: 1/10th
-vs. Champions, Uniques, Bosses: 1/8th
-with missile weapons, default: 1/8th
-with missile weapons, vs. Players: 1/20th
-with missile weapons, vs Hirelings: 1/20th
-with missile weapons, vs Champions, Uniques, Bosses: 1/16th
The life removed is also scaled with number of players. So that if a monster has 450% more life due to 8 players (or whatever the value is) the life removed is further reduced by the same amount (450% would equal multiplying by 4.5 so the life removed by Crushing Blow is divided by 4.5).
It is possible to get up to 100% chance for Crushing Blow. Anything above 100% is discarded.
Physical resistance does apply to Crushing Blow damage, but only if the resistance is positive.
Crushing Blow Items stack in most cases.
Since 1.10 Crushing Blow is calculated before your normal damage. So, before doing the damage that you would normally do, there is a chance you will reduce the health of the monster by X% then normal damage apply to the resulting lower life. If you have more than one item with Crushing Blow, the probabilities will be added together. There will be one random check for a Crushing Blow. There is no check for each separate item, so one can not get multiple Crushing Blows in one attack.

As the opponent's life gets lower and lower, the 10% will diminish into lower and lower damage-dealing hits until your opponent is left with 1 health, and Crushing Blow no longer has any effect. If you cannot kill an opponent with 1 health remaining, it means that the opponent has the "Damage Reduced By X" (DR) mod on one or more of his items. Combined with the PvP damage penalty (1/6), just a little DR can negate all normal damage you deal without Crushing Blow. To combat this, you can do one of many things:

• Use a shield with skulls socketed in it for the "Attacker Takes Damage of X" (ATD) mod. This is also weakened by the PvP Penalty, so if your final ATD is low like your physical Smite damage, then it won't matter.
• Switch to normal attack and try to swing your weapon at them (not a very good idea).
• Have a weapon switch with a weapon and shield with max damage jewels (a good idea).
• Use an item with Open Wounds

cauhtemoc @ extreme-gamerz.org wrote:
Open Wounds

Open wounds gives a chance of making your target bleed uncontrollably. Open wounds work in a similar way to poison, in that it makes the target slowly loose life. Unlike poison however, there is no way to resist damage from open wounds.

Open wounds stack in all cases, there is only one chance to trigger a open wounds per hit. There is no cap on how high the chance to trigger a open wounds can get, but anything over 100% is a waste.

Open wounds lasts for 8 seconds. The counter is reset if you get hit with several open wounds in a short time frame, you cannot have several open wounds active on you at the same time!

The damage done depends on the level of the attacker. Damage per second is given by the following:

Character Level 1-15: 25 * (9 * Character Level + 31) / 256
Character Level 16-30: 25 * (18 * Character Level - 104) / 256
Character Level 31-45: 25 * (27 * Character Level - 374) / 256
Character Level 46-60: 25 * (36 * Character Level - 779) / 256
Character Level 61-99: 25 * (45 * Character Level - 1319) / 256

To get the total damage just multiply this number with the duration (i.e. 8 seconds).

For example, a character at level 90 would do 267 damage per second, for a total of 2136 damage.

The damage is divided by 4 if you are fighting another player in melee, and by 8 if you are fighting another player using a missile weapon.

Enhanced Damage (ED) is the only damage modifier that helps a LLD Smiter's damage. +min and +max damage will not help at all. It doesn't matter though, because your constant triggering of Crushing Blow (and for some builds Open Wounds) will be more than enough to take down enemies. As previously stated, Smite will always hit, so a 33% change of Crushing Blow is higher than your 25% chance to be hit with an attack without blocking, and that's not counting your defense (max block is quite necessary on a Smiter at any level).

Unfortunately, the best damage shields you will be able to get between level 9 and 30 are the Spiked and Barbed shields, which do not have enough damage themselves to be strengthened very much by ED jewels or Strength pumping. The best option to increase Smite damage for a level 28-30 character is by using +skill items. Level 9, 15 and 18 builds will have close to the minimum Smite damage because they can only use Spiked shields, which deal 5-9 Smite damage on their own.

Level 9 (vLLD)

Stats

Strength - Enough for gear
Dexterity - Enough for max block
Vitality - The rest
Energy - None

Make sure you have collected all of your gear before you invest any stat points into ANYTHING. At such a low level you will want every advantage you can get, and that includes making sure you didn't lose three (yes, three) life because you put a point in strength that would have been satisfied by a charm or your gear.

Skills - 20 with Hell Rush (LLD101 rules allow it)

7 Smite
4 Defiance
9 Prayer

Gear

Helm
Sigon's Visor - Use with 2 other Sigon pieces for the 100 defense bonus
3os Crown - Socket with three flawed rubies

Armor
Rare Eth/Rep Ancient - You need Enhanced Defense and 2 sockets to use this, and also -req if you're lucky
4os Ancient - Socket with -req jewels and flawed rubies

Gloves
Sigon's Gage - Use for 30 IAS and with 2 other Sigon pieces for the 100 defense bonus
Death's Hand - Use with Death's Belt for 30 IAS

Belt
Sigon's Wrap - Use for 20 life and with 2 other Sigon pieces for the 100 defense bonus
Death's Sash - Use with Death's Gloves for Cannot Be Frozen (CBF)

Boots
Sigon's Sabot - Use with 2 other Sigon pieces for the 100 defense bonus
Rare FRW/FHR/Dexterity Boots - Stat savers, but I would recommend Sigon's Boots for the 100 defense bonus

Amulet
Rare stat ammy - Try for 5 str and 5 dex; this is very hard to find. DTM is also a valuable mod on a level 9 Smiter because mana drains very quickly due to fast attacks and Prayer. Replenish Life is also a valuable mod

Rings
Rare stat rings - 2 str and 2 dex is the best you can get at level 9 in 1.11. Replenish Life is also available on rings, and is very helpful against all opponents

Weapon
Crushflange - +15 Strength and 33% Crushing Blow
The Gnasher - +8 Strength, 20% Crushing Blow, 50% Open Wounds. Your only source of Open Wounds at level 9, but you lose 13% chance of Crushing Blow

Shield
Vulpine Bone/Spiked Shield of Deflecting - Any DR will negate all Smite damage dealt from a Bone Shield. If you have a Spiked Shield with level 7 Smite, you might be able to kill someone with very low DR just by Smiting them to death.

Level 15

There are two different build possibilities at level 15. Neither is a damage build, because we have not yet reached the level that Smite will deal any noticeable PvP damage.

Build 1 - Defense
Build 2 - Regen

The skills for both of these hell rushed are almost identical, but gear varies a bit for them. Norm rushed, however, the skills are very different.

Stats

Vitality - The rest
Energy - None

Skills

Defense with Norm Rush

1 Smite
1 Charge
10 Defiance
5 Prayer
1 Cleansing

Regen with Norm Rush

1 Smite
1 Charge
15 Prayer
1 Cleansing

Hybrid with Hell Rush

1 Smite
1 Charge
13 Prayer
1 Cleansing
10 Defiance

Skills for all 3 builds can vary a little. For example, if you decide not to opt for charge as your switch attack (for either finishing or runners), you could use norm attack and save a skills point for Prayer.

Gear

Helm
Sigon's Visor - Use with 2 other Sigon pieces for the 100 defense bonus
3os Crown - Socketed with flawless rubies

Armor
Rare Eth/Rep Ancient - For the defense build, a ~500 defense Ancient Armor helps tremendously with level 10 Defiance. You want 2 sockets and -req on this
4os Gothic Plate - For the Regen build. Socket this with flawless skulls for more life regen

Gloves
Death's Hand - Good Poison resists, and combined with Death's Belt will give you 30 IAS
Sigon's Gage - Use for 30 IAS and with 2 other Sigon pieces for the 100 defense bonus

Belt
Sigon's Wrap - Use for 20 life and with 2 other Sigon pieces for the 100 defense bonus

Boots
Cow King's Hooves - 30 FRW and +20 Dex. Helps a lot with achieving max block, and frees up enough points for Vitality for another 60 life

Amulet
Angelic Wings - Combine with an Angelic Ring for 75 life and 10 Dexterity. Also has DTM.

Rings
Angelic Halo - Gives life life rep, also see above
Manald Heal - A maximum of 8 life rep and 20 life. If you plan on Charging a lot, you might want to keep two Angelic Rings for the increased attack rating.

Weapon
Crushflange - The only choice right now, for +15 Strength 33% Crushing Blow

Shield
Swordback Hold - Spiked Shield for higher-ish damage. Socket with either an Ith or flawless amethyst

Level 18

Stats

Vitality - The rest
Energy - None

Again, there are two possible builds at this level: Defense and Regen. Level 18 is where the gear starts to differ a bit, and actually becomes a lot cheaper as well.

Skills

Defense Norm Rushed

1 Smite
1 Charge
13 Defiance
5 Prayer
1 Cleansing

Regen Norm Rushed

1 Smite
1 Charge
18 Prayer
1 Cleansing

Gear

Helm
Milabrega's Diadem - Find a Crown with the highest defense you can get. With Mila's armor, your two items will add up to over 500 defense. Socket with a perfect ruby
Duskdeep - Mostly for the Regen build. It comes with 7 DR, which is very useful against other smiters. Socket with a perfect skull
3os Crown - Socket with 3 perfect skulls (for Regen build)

Armor
Milabrega's Robe - With Mila's Crown, this armor will get 468 Defense. Combined with the Crown, you get over 500. With level 13 Defiance, you gain about 1500 defense
Twitchthroe - For the Regen build. More IAS and Increased Chance to Block (ICB) gives you 8 frame Smite combined with Death's or Sigon's combo, compared to all previously mentioned builds using 9 frame Smite.

Gloves
Death's Hand - Good Poison resists, and combined with Death's Belt will give you 30 IAS

Belt

Boots
Cow King's Hooves - 30 FRW and +20 Dex. Helps a lot with achieving max block, and frees up enough points for Vitality for another 60 life

Amulet
Angelic Wings - Combine with an Angelic Ring for 75 life and 10 Dexterity. Also has DTM.

Rings
Angelic Halo - Gives life life rep, also see above
Manald Heal - A maximum of 8 life rep and 20 life. If you plan on Charging a lot, you might want to keep two Angelic Rings for the increased attack rating.

Weapon
Crushflange - The only choice right now, for +15 Strength 33% Crushing Blow

Shield
Swordback Hold - Spiked Shield for higher-ish damage. Socket with either an Ith or perfect amethyst

Both builds are probably better off using Death's combo and CK Boots for the Poison resist, CBF, 20 Dex and 30 FRW. Sigon's trio does add the 100 defense bonus though, and if you add that to the Defiance aura for the Defense build you will gain a bit less than 300 defense. Up to you to decide if its worth it or not to lose all the useful mods on Death's/CK.

Closing

If you have any questions or suggestions, please reply in this thread.

I don't want a cycle of recycled revenge

I don't wanna follow Death And All of His Friends
http://lld101.com/viewtopic.php?t=44473 (for my own reference)

Last edited by Torrent on Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
Mimes

BNet Acct/Realm: e/sc/l Mimes., Mimes-LLD, Justin27 and 1338
34.96 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:23 pm    Post subject:  

For level 9, i wouldnt recommend putting any into prayer. You will need mana to smite, and without and stats in mana your mana pool will be very small. Prayer will drain your mana VERY fast.

Instead i would invest 1 point into Might, 1 point into Sacrifice, and the rest into defiance/smite (max defiance before you add more to smite).

At level 9 i would also say it is necessary to use a Vulpine Spiked shield of deflecting. It has the highest damage on a shield at that level, and damage to mana (which is also necessary). You could put in some DTM/Def jewels possibly with some other decent/helpful mods.

For armor, instead of a 4os Ancient armor, i would recommend a 15% ed Gothic plate. It has lower Reqs, and you can put 4x flawed rubies in one GP without having to worry about lowering the reqs.

For your helm/gloves/belt/boots, i would say go with Sigons for all of them.

Socket the helm with a flawed ruby. But keep a 15% sup crown/mask with 3x flawed rubies in it just in case.

If someone has cold damage (which is likely) i would keep a deaths sash in your stash. If you need to use it, you will still have 3 sigs pieces equipped.

Eth rep throwing spears are also very helpful to have on switch, for runners, or to damage them while you regen some mana. If your opponent is already at low life, you could turn on might, and throw at them to finish them off, of switch to a maxer'd VBSoD or VSSoD turn on might, and sacrifice them to death.

For level 18, i would suggest each build to use Angelic jewelry. You get a good deal of DTM, Life, and 12 life rep. You also get ar in which to melee them when their life is low. IMO angelic jewelry would be the better option.

1,000th post on 12/12/07
thejudgelld

BNet Acct/Realm: Leonidas13
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject:  

I like the build because i think i can afford it. I've only been playing for a couple months and haven't really done anything with smiters, so do you have any tips for technique with this guy. I'm gonna do the lvl 18 one. As far as either the defiance or prayer build goes, I'm still kinda undecided. which u think would be for me?

thanks in advance
Ardlien

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:25 pm    Post subject:  

Bump

I've been playing around with some regen smiters for a while, though not at those specific levels. In addition to the suggestions you make here there's a few options I would add for a level 15 regen smiter.

Skulled shields are quite effective finishers, and with the right auric shield can add a lot of resists as well, I would take that over crushflange or swordback honestly.

As a weapon, gnasher is great, even at this level, as the extra 13% crushing blow really isn't worth much once your opponent is below 1/2-1/3 of their life.

Angelic armor along with the amulet and ring(s) provides an extra skill for faster healing, 150 defense for very low strength req, 50 mana (very handy), and 50 fire res, which could be useful if you do not use crushflange.

A crafted blood belt is another option which I have not tested out yet, but would allow you to use crushflange, an auric shield and keep open wounds in your arsenal, and adds some life too. Could mean lower smite speed if you don't use sigs though.
Checkers77

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 6:06 am    Post subject: Stats
Subject description: Points for gear

I plan on using:
Armor Milabrega's w/hel 85 pts
Shield Sword Pack 60 dex?

I only have 95 pts for gear
I need 55 for Armor and 40 for shield

Glove Sigon's
Belt Sigon's /Death's
Boots Sigon's/ Cow Kings
Amulet Angelic
Rings Angelic
Weapon Crush Flange
Life Small Charms
No points left for Vitality
Or do you put on the gear to get the stats first? Thanks
Jerkazoid

BNet Acct/Realm: wscl
4.86 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Stats
Subject description: Points for gear

Checkers77 wrote:
I plan on using:
Armor Milabrega's w/hel 85 pts
Shield Sword Pack 60 dex?

I only have 95 pts for gear
I need 55 for Armor and 40 for shield

Glove Sigon's
Belt Sigon's /Death's
Boots Sigon's/ Cow Kings
Amulet Angelic
Rings Angelic
Weapon Crush Flange
Life Small Charms
No points left for Vitality
Or do you put on the gear to get the stats first? Thanks

Mils is a very affordable build, perfect for a quick dueler on a fresh ladder season
http://lld101.com/viewtopic.php?search_id=944373536&t=799
dont use a hel rune though, you should at least be able to find 1 jewel with -15% (and some other mod hopefully)

with sigons gloves and flange you get a bunch of +strength, note the +values in the build i outline. you have plenty for Vit and having more than 1100 life is VERY nice indeed

Checkers77

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 11:11 am    Post subject:  Stats  

Thanks for help.
My paladin is hell rushed,not sure about the Defense/Regen build.
So I put points into:
1-Smite
1-Charge
5-Prayer
1-Cleansing

I would liked to switch Defense to Regan

I have 25 skill points left,any help is greatly appreciated.

I have a 6 socket military pick/4 socket Aerin shield (both w/13-15 max jewels.Along with Twitchthroe/Duskdeep for a switch after charge., But only 437 Attack Damage for dueling a smiter.
I bet the 5 socket scepter is really hard to find. Thanks
Jerkazoid

BNet Acct/Realm: wscl
4.86 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Stats  

Checkers77 wrote:
But only 437 Attack Damage for dueling a smiter.
I bet the 5 socket scepter is really hard to find. Thanks

as defense is useless vs smiter you can afford to drop the def aura/mils

you should be able to swap on some -dr belt/rings, use a Skull shield to ATD them at the end. i think i kept a duskdeep to handle smiter vs smiter.

Checkers77

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 1:18 pm    Post subject:  Hell Rushed  

My lvl 18 was hell rushed
Smite 12 pts
Charge 2

Smite Damage 18-32
Charge 37-81
Defiance 13
Prayer 1
Cleaning 1

Smite did not increase much.

I'm making another,shouldn't I max charge
then put what is left in smite?
Thanks
Checkers77

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: Stats  

Cool I messed up putting points in:
Prayer-1
Cleansing-1
Defiance-13
Smite-12
Charge-2
This char had been reset to make Rolling Eyes

Thought I would make charger instead of a smiter.
So I made another using a guide I found on the internet.
It says to load:
Might-20
Smite-1
Charger-8

Now I find you can't,mine loads 18 max Might and 7 max Charge.
I can reset,but I'm confused and do not won't to mess up again.
Any Ideas with 29 Skills?
HOW DO YOU MAKE A SMITER USING 29 SKILLS? Thank you.
heprea
pokemon fanatic

BNet Acct/Realm: europe laddars
8.01 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 6:24 am    Post subject:  

i dumped rest of my skillpoints on my smiters to prayer to have better life regen vs other smiters.

though, i never got to duel vs other smiters so i cant really say for sure if it was helpful or not lol

Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]  
 Forum index » Diablo 2 Discussion Section » LLD Discussion » LLD Guides
Jump to: