LLD101 Forum Index LLD101
Low Level Dueling in 1.12

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:07 am
All times are UTC - 8
 Forum index » LLD101 Forum Information Booth » Suggestion Box
Thoughts on LLD101 expansion
Page 1 of 2 [30 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Dao Jones

BNet Acct/Realm: *Dao_Jones, Bi-Realmsual.
33.66 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject:  Thoughts on LLD101 expansion
Subject description: Just thinkin'

A lot of people tend to talk a lot about the decline of the site, and generally the most common explanation (after "TEH MODZ SUX0RZ") is decline in LLD player base in the aging D2 game environment. So I had a thought I wanted to toss out to the general users here, to see what sort of feedback it would generate.

What about expanding LLD101's "scope"? I don't just mean "include MLD and HLD" - I mean growing beyond one game system. I'm sure many people here play some other form of PvP game; I myself have and do play Battlefield 2, Guild Wars, and City of Heroes (and I've written guide for the former two). I know many of you play Counterstrike, World of Warcraft, numerous FPS's on XBox360, and even stuff like Pokemon and Magic: the Gathering. And I'm sure that, much like LLD in D2, there is a lot of expertise on this site that could be tapped into.

What if the site were "Dueling101.com", and encompassed Player versus Player gaming across all spectrums? Certainly, we'd still focus on quality, legit PvP without use of hacking or cheating (where applicable), but it would offer the site several benefits:

1. Evolution to continue to address the needs/interests of our current users
2. Expand our existing user base with new members from different interests/gaming backgrounds
3. Increase site traffic

Obviously, it's not something that could happen quickly, or even easily. It wouldn't be as simple as adding a few forums, and new members will just come flooding in. It would be a gradual process that would take time (read: 1+ years) to achieve, but I think it might do a lot to broaden and strengthen what we offer. And, maybe it would even introduce people to games they've never tried.

So what do you guys thing? Mind you, I'm not suggesting this is something we're planning on doing (I haven't even shared this with Krajee, let alone mention it to Zharous); it was just an idle thought bouncing around in my noggin.

The New LLD101 splash page (Props to Shieron)
Weaj
LLD101 Staff

BNet Acct/Realm: US East Ladder & NL *Weaj *Weaj. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
39.43 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject:  

It seems to be something to think about. It would not be an easy decisoon and would certainly not be easy to do.

ThatGuy

BNet Acct/Realm: MONTREAL YAA! Quit d2
5.36 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject:  

Don't forget Super Smash Bros. Melee! Very Happy

oleo79

BNet Acct/Realm: USWest nonladder + ladder
4.16 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject:  

Sounds a bit scary to me. I kinda like knowing a large percentage of the users on here, and having a small community. I don't want that mixed up with elite-ist snobby though, that is not what I mean. I do like the idea of having more traffic, but hopefully it won't grow too fast that we can't keep up with the new comers. I guess if new players come, they will fall into their niche quickly. So yeah, that's my ramblings. I'd be for it.

MortisNostre
LoPF

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject:  

At Baron's Bazaar we have been discussing the same thing, and have created both WoW and Helgate London subforums as a means to preserve our site's relevancy and to expand our member base.

IMO, its definitely something worth considering. However, until D2 is officially dead, i think it and LLD should remain the focus here.

Moreover, additions can always be removed should they prove worthless.

Grim04

BNet Acct/Realm: Grim04/UWNL
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject:  

No, keep 101 pure.
Torrent

BNet Acct/Realm: Torrent@USEast
13.37 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject:  

general dueling is a bit too broad...i like the idea, but it should be restricted to games that a large enough amount of players are playing. For instance, im pretty sure pc games are more common than consoles around here. hellgate london would be the one game i think most people are getting. maybe just organize all HL players on lld101 to play on the same server, and give it its own subforum in alt gaming?
Knifer

BNet Acct/Realm: Hawaii/Oregon
1.39 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject:  

im up for some 1.6 cs, tfc, tf2

ThatGuy wrote:
Don't forget Super Smash Bros. Melee! Very Happy

and soon to be wifi brawl!

ubermoose
LLD101 Staff

BNet Acct/Realm: Europe
3.49 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:26 am    Post subject:  

I too had been thinking of how to keep this site going. I think if we kept it as LLD101 but included low level dueling from ALL games it would increase our population AND we would still have the LLD niche.

The thing is, if we just have it as a general dueling site, it would just be like every other gaming site and there are already other far more well established forums for that out there.

In the future i imagine not just a forum, but a whole website where we can host our own guides, news, calculators, league tables etc. away from the forum.
Puddles

BNet Acct/Realm: Mr_Puddles/USEast Non-Ladder
5.38 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:11 am    Post subject:  

I'd say, don't risk expanding it. Since there's a chance that this community might turn into something like d2jsp, where most people spams.
Dao Jones

33.66 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:15 am    Post subject:  

ubermoose wrote:
I too had been thinking of how to keep this site going. I think if we kept it as LLD101 but included low level dueling from ALL games it would increase our population AND we would still have the LLD niche.

The question is whether or not "low level dueling" is common enough in other games to have a sizeable core audience. I know in Guild Wars you can PvP at sub-max level, but no one does it, whereas City of Heroes has level-capped zones, and a lot of PvP actually takes place at lower levels. (However, I'm probably the only CoH player here.) Additionally, this would completely eliminate console games, and I'm pretty sure we have a lot of console gamers here.

MortisNostre wrote:
At Baron's Bazaar we have been discussing the same thing, and have created both WoW and Helgate London subforums as a means to preserve our site's relevancy and to expand our member base.

I would be very interested to hear how this works out for BB. I don't know if you have a metric to measure increased site traffic, but I'd be curious to hear if this A) brings in more users, and B) contributes to the site as a whole.

As a side question: how much of the user base is shared between BB and LLD101? I know I'm not a member there; are many of our users active on both sites? What about other D2 sites? (Excluding D2jsp - if people go there, I don't want to know. Kinda like gays in the military: don't ask, don't tell.)

heprea
pokemon fanatic

BNet Acct/Realm: europe laddars
8.01 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject:  

im afraid that if lld101 grows larger it gets like d2jsp

Torrent

13.37 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject:  

Dao Jones wrote:
I know in Guild Wars you can PvP at sub-max level, but no one does it...

What what whaat? what happened to r/mes with poison arrow in the lvl 10 arena? i went over 60 games in a row!
Dao Jones

33.66 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject:  

Torrent wrote:
Dao Jones wrote:

What what whaat? what happened to r/mes with poison arrow in the lvl 10 arena? i went over 60 games in a row!

Really? In my time there I never saw anyone ever seriously duel outside of Hero's Ascent/Guild PvP. Sure, you'd get the occasional random match, but those were just terrible.

Hmm. If it has an active LLD scene I may have to jump back on GW. I'm pretty rich there... (Solo farming Monk way back before they nerfed it the first time.)

Torrent

13.37 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject:  

Dao Jones wrote:
Torrent wrote:
Dao Jones wrote:

Really? In my time there I never saw anyone ever seriously duel outside of Hero's Ascent/Guild PvP. Sure, you'd get the occasional random match, but those were just terrible.

Hmm. If it has an active LLD scene I may have to jump back on GW. I'm pretty rich there... (Solo farming Monk way back before they nerfed it the first time.)

zomg thats why i played. id get a rush thru game, grab my elite skillage and a good bow and play it till i lost a marathon (usually got to lvl 11 or 12 in arena, couldnt go again). then id remake.

edit: btw, "your time" was probably when i played, which was from release of prophecies to release of nightfall.
Page 1 of 2 [30 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
 Forum index » LLD101 Forum Information Booth » Suggestion Box
Jump to: