LLD101 Forum Index LLD101
Low Level Dueling in 1.12

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:45 am
All times are UTC - 8
 Forum index » Diablo 2 Discussion Section » LLD Discussion » LLD Guides
VLLD Jabber guide
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]  
breakbeatz2
Victim of the BAN BLUDGEON

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:28 am    Post subject:  VLLD Jabber guide
Subject description: Wrote this a while ago - reposting in new forum

Jabbers are the most powerful level 9 melee build. While their stats look low compared to heavy hitting sac paladins and charged up TS sins, their crit strike, dodge, and fast uninterruptable attack more than make up for their low displayed damage. Just like all vlld builds, a godly jabber can get quite expensive, and finding godly jewels can take a long time. A jabber also needs to find an ethereal throwing spear with replenish to be competitive. This not only saves 10 dex (30 life) but the 50%ED bonus to base weapon damage is very important. A jabber will have lower damage than most characters, so every bit of extra damage will give them a respectable percent increase in their final damage.

Gear:

Amulet: perfect stats for level 9 are:
35AR
5 str
5 dex
10 life
12 DTM
5 replenish

Str/Dex/Rep/Life are most importat on an amulet. My jabber uses a 5str/5dex/4rep/4mana amulet

Rings: perfect stats for level 9 are:
95AR
2 str
2 dex
5 replenish
5 life

Try to get a lot of your AR from your rings, along with as many of the other stats as possible. My jabber uses a 1max/79AR/2dex/5rep ring and a 75AR/2dex/5rep/6mana ring.

Rep life is very important to all vllds, but especially important to a jabber. Jabbers live longer than other characters due to their 34% chance to dodge, and their fast atack speed, which will trigger hit recovery or block animation often. The longer a character lives, the more life he will rep over the course of a duel. My jabber has a total of 14 rep life on amulet and rings, which is an extra 1.4 life per second. In a 30 second duel, this is 42 more life.

Weapon: Ethereal throwing spear with replenish.

If you can find one with 10ias, this will move your first jab attack up 1 frame. Other mods to look for are ED, AR, +max, and ctc amp damage.
My jabber uses a 10ias/65ED/54AR eth/rep tspear.

Belt: Deaths

Gloves: Deaths

Boots: Good rare boots.
10fhr/3dex/15AR are perfect. 10 frw is nice for chasing down pubs.

The rest of your gear will be jeweled items. Here are some perfect mods for a level 9 jewel that are improtant to vlld.

5max (prefix) 9max (suffix) - 14 max is the highest possible
4min (prefix) 4min (suffix) 8min is the highest possible.
40AR
-15% req
12% DTM
3 dex
8 life
20% enhanced damage
1light/10AR

Of course, max or min damage is the most important mod to look for on a vlld jewel for this build. AR is also crucial.

Helm: 3 socket superior mask with 3 good jewels

Armor: 4 socket superior Ancient Armor with 4 good jewels. Each jewel should have -15% req making the armor 40 str req.

Shield: 3 socket Large Shield with 3 good jewels - since you need 55 dex to use an eth tspear, you will hit max block even without the deflecting mod.
Some people use a vulpine shield of deflecting with 2 good jewels. However the faster block frame isn't very important since jab is uninterruptable.

Skills:
9 Jab
6 Crit
4 Dodge
1 Inner sight

Many people prefer putting 1 point into Jab and 9 into Inner Sight. This is a good choice for newer vllds who cannot afford top of the line equipment, because a level 1 jab will cost much less mana, and the high level Inner Sight will make up for low AR. However, if you can afford a full inventory of 15life/10-12 AR large charms, and you have a fair amount of intrinsic +mana or dtm on gear, neither AR nor mana will be a problem for you.

Stats:
Str: Enough for gear (40)
Dex: Enough for 75% block (56)
Energy: None
Vitality: The rest.

Charms: 15 life Large charms with mana or AR. 7 mana is perfect, 12AR is perfect.

Some things to note:

Mana and DTM are very important for a jabber since mana pots are not allowed in vlld duels. Look for mana or DTM on your jewels, rings, and charms, but try not to sacrifice damage for DTM or mana. My jabber has 85 mana and 33% DTM.

Since Jab is a low ED build, ED jewels are a cheap alternative to godly maxers. Using a 60ED/AR helm or shield is pretty effective and cheap to make, as is using a 80ED/-60req armor. In fact, your first few ED jewels will do more damage than maxers, until you hit the point of diminishing returns where your +max is low, and the extra ED isn't being multiplied by enough straight damage. Bottom line - use 1 piece with ED jewels in it, and put maxers in the rest. Keep in mind that ED/max is bugged so make sure you DON'T have any +max on your ED piece.

Another alternative to my armor/shield combo is a 4 socket superior gothic with 4 godly -req jewels, and a large shield with 1 of the jewels having -req. This will let you stay at 29 str, but you will have lower defense. I prefer the Ancient Armor route.

1 other possible build would be Bloodfists with Hsaru's boots and belt. FPA is always more important to me than some extra AR and life though, but I have heard some people discuss the viability of this build in the past. I've never seen it first hand but I am confident that Deaths is a better choice.
eAr_gOd

BNet Acct/Realm: E/SCL: eAr_god, eAr_DeViL, ear_ections (shared)
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:55 am    Post subject:  

First of all, good guide and right on the mark with gear etc.

That said, I think 1jab/9inner builds are a bit underrated. Its true that its cheaper, but that isn't the main reason I chose that route. I went that route because the % chance to hit is actually better vs. other low defense characters (jabbers and TS sins) than the 9jab/1 inner build, by something like 5%. That is enough to make a big difference in a jab vs jab duel. That said, it has more trouble taking out high defense characters than a 9jab build would.

Next thing I want to add is that for the majority of VLLD jabbers, an 80ed / -60 armor is probably the best armor. Here is my logic:
- Most can afford to large shield full of 13+ maxers, and those people would use a 75-80ed -60 armor (also very affordable). This yields 80ED and 39 max damage.
- Only the very richest can afford to make a 4x 13+max/-15 armor, and those people will most likely use a 60ed large shield. This yields 60ED and 52 max damage.

The damage of both setups is roughly equal when all gear is in place on the jabber, but the first choice is much more accessible. The average person going the 2nd route would likely make an armor with 4x 9/-15 jewels (still more expensive than the first choice), but will do significantly less damage (36max and 60ED as opposed to 39max and 80ed).

Lastly, 12 DTM on an amulet is GODLY. If it can allow you to replace your 9max/12DTM jewel with a 14maxer, IMO 5 max damage is much better than the extra stats or whatever else a different amulet can provide.

its not that I'm criticising your guide or anything, its just most people aren't as rich as you Very Happy, and so I thought it'd be nice to add some info that'd be helpful to those less fortunate.

Necropantser: Lvl 9 Summoner/Sacrifice hybrid necro
ObiWanShinobi: Lvl 9 TS assassin

Always looking for gear upgrades, particularly 15life Scs with lightning damage or mana, and defiance/zeal war sceptors.
breakbeatz2

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:21 am    Post subject:  

Yeah all that stuff about gear is true, but I wrote the guide with top of the line gear in mind. Also, when using a 9jab build, you hit the point of diminishing returns on ED jewels earlier, so a 60ED shield is clearly better if you can afford the godly max/-req jewels in your armor.

Concerning 1 or 9 into jab, I think that 9 jab is by far a better choice if you can afford the gear to support the mana cost. An extra 5% chance to hit is the exact same as an extra 5% to final damage. 9 jab gives you 24% more base ED, which will equal more than +5% to final damage (probably around +10%) 9 in jab also gives you an extra +72% to AR which is a stat that people always overlook when discussing this choice.
eAr_gOd

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:35 am    Post subject:  

I do agree that 9 jab is overall more well rounded (they will always take out defiance saccers etc better), but Im also going to defend 9inner sight a bit more.

- 5% chance to hit is a bit better than 5% damage because it forces block, fhr, etc.
- the extra 24% ED is about the same as adding a 24ED jewel. The diminishing returns on ED you speak of applies there too (yea it is like a free 24% ED jewel, but u sacrifice quality in jewels elsewhere to get the extra DTM/ar/mana necessary)
- When I said a 9inner build would beat a 9 jab build with roughly equal gear head to head, theres a bit more to look over it than that. True, a perfect 9jab build would use 14max 40AR 12dtm jewels etc, but then a perfect 9 inner build could just as well use 8-14 jewels everywhere, and a 4x 20ED/40AR/-15% req armor. THe gear comparisons can go on and on, but when all is said and done, u can always replace a DTM/AR mod (on a 9jab build) with another damage mod (on a 9inner build).

All that in mind, I guess I'm saying a 9inner build doesnt necessarily have less damage.. if anything its arguably easier to make one with more damage...
but anyway I'm arguing that overall 9inner sight is better vs. low defense builds (and I'll admit they are below average vs. high defense builds), while 9 jab is better vs high defense builds (while still very good vs low defense builds)

Always looking for gear upgrades, particularly 15life Scs with lightning damage or mana, and defiance/zeal war sceptors.
breakbeatz2

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:46 am    Post subject:  

Quote:
- 5% chance to hit is a bit better than 5% damage because it forces block, fhr, etc.

True.

Quote:
- the extra 24% ED is about the same as adding a 24ED jewel. The diminishing returns on ED you speak of applies there too

The final increase in damage will still be much more than 5%.

Quote:
u sacrifice quality in jewels elsewhere to get the extra DTM/ar/mana

I didn't sacrifice any jewels to get dtm. I used a 4-14 9dtm jewel, as well as a 2-14 12dtm jewel. I would have used both of these jewels even without the DTM. I know topp of the line jewels like this are hard to find, but I wrote the guide for a top of the line jabber.

Quote:
- When I said a 9inner build would beat a 9 jab build with roughly equal gear, theres a bit more to look over it than that. True, a perfect 9jab build would use 14max 40AR 12dtm jewels etc, but then a perfect 9 inner build could just as well use 8-14 jewels everywhere, and a 4x 20ED/40AR/-15% req armor.

I disagree with the jewel selection here. You don't need much AR from jewels even on a 9jab build. I only have AR on 2 of my jewels, and they would be godly without the AR as well. The rest of my AR comes from my charms. My final AR is 1366 which is more than enough.

Quote:
THe gear comparisons can go on and on, but when all is said and done, u can always replace a DTM/AR mod (on a 9jab build) with another damage mod (on a 9inner build).

Again, the AR on my jewels is an extra bonus. I would have used them without the AR as well.
eAr_gOd

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:49 am    Post subject:  

fair enough, and I'm sure your jabber is pretty close to unbeatable Smile. anyway I was just giving people a different viewpoint on the other options available instead of letting them be too easily discounted, because there are a few upsides to all those alternatives that weren't mentioned.

breakbeatz2

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:53 am    Post subject:  

Also, I assumed that when you said your build hits 5% more often, you meant using the same gear as a 9jab build. When you later stated that a 9jab build uses lower quality jewels in order to make up for lost AR it adds an unmeasurable aspect to the equation. I personally did not sacrifice any damage for AR, but you're right that some people might.

Anyway, if ladder ends we can finally duel. I'm sure it will be very close to 50/50.
zarc

BNet Acct/Realm: USEast NonLadder *fyarbeast USEast Ladder *fyarbeast1
-2.48 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:03 am    Post subject:  

this is an excellent guide. You forgot to mention about walk/run in battle and no potting and a bunch of other noob info that alot of people dont know Razz , but aside from that a really good guide.

Puddles

BNet Acct/Realm: Mr_Puddles/USEast Non-Ladder
5.38 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject:  

Isn't dexterity better than maximum damage jewels (Not sure if you are using maximum damage jewels). I'd want to duel that character. You USEast Non-Ladder?
Elusive

BNet Acct/Realm: *elusive-
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject:  

Mr_Puddles wrote:
Isn't dexterity better than maximum damage jewels (Not sure if you are using maximum damage jewels). I'd want to duel that character. You USEast Non-Ladder?

no dex is not better however in a shield 3 x 20 ed/3 dex/40 ar/8 life jewels would be better.

i lol'd at the above comment

and break is east nl
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]  
 Forum index » Diablo 2 Discussion Section » LLD Discussion » LLD Guides
Jump to: