LLD101 Forum Index LLD101
Low Level Dueling in 1.12

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:28 pm
All times are UTC - 8
 Forum index » Off-Topic Section » Alternative Gaming
Neverwinter Nights
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]  
EMP

BNet Acct/Realm: sequences (Ladder-USEast)
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:04 am    Post subject:  Neverwinter Nights
Subject description: any good?

I have it sitting on my shelf, gathering dust. Is it worth trying out? Or does it suck? Is it D2-esq at all?

Vixen

BNet Acct/Realm: The 'Big Apple'
7.76 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:57 am    Post subject:  

It was actually really addicting for a while...until the save files corrupted (this happened to me twice, both times real far into the game).

A lot of the spells and stuff are based on dice from what I recall which confused the hell out of me, but the easy 'feat' (skill) setup balanced that crap out.

You can 'multi-class' ie; make a Warrior/Mage or whatnot which was awesome.

Hirelings are a big, big part of the game and there are a whole slew of them with different specialties... from what I remember there's a tank type, healer, rogue, 'warlock', mage, archer and they all have quest lines that follow you as you progress through the game.

One of my favorite parts is that you can REALLY customize your guy; down to race, size, class, portrait (face) and even voice.

"Vixen's also the name of a reindeer"
EMP

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:32 am    Post subject:  

Since I have never played it before, is a noob friendly game? Or will I have to spend hours on end learning how to do certain actions? Is the map extremely big? Is it one of those games where I have to spend half an hour walking from one side of the map to another?

Vixen

7.76 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:56 am    Post subject:  

Nah, it's pretty easy to play, just click and attack type thing.

The world is pretty big, but you won't get frustrated.

Selphious

BNet Acct/Realm: *ItRISiK USWest[L]
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:56 am    Post subject:  

I think it's a great game. I haven't really gotten far in the game at all, because after a little while of using a character, I make another, cause I keep on thinking of new ideas for a character ^^ (in other words, tons of possiblites). The fights can get very difficult. You really have to watch out where you're going, as to not run into some tough people not so far into the game. The only thing that may irritate you I think, is that there are usually a ton of doorways leading into people's houses, which makes you not want to go in, but you do kinda want to, cause there's a small possibility of a good iteam. There are masteries for weapons, like on diablo, but it gets more specific, like mace, bow, katana, dagger, bastard sword, long sword, scythes, sickles, and a ton more. I also don't know how the dice work, but I do now that it's fun to kill stuff xD. You can have basically a switch, like a bow for long range and press f2 or whatever and it'll switch to sword/shield if that's what you have. I know there's a % to block, evade, hit, and maybe even for spells to hit. The lower the dice roll, the lower than damage, and if the roll is too low, I think it misses. Ok, Ima shut up now, it has a tutorial, just go do that Twisted Evil

SiK's ISO List
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address 
EMP

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:28 am    Post subject:  

Thanks for the input guys. Just 1 more question. Is this in real-time? Or is it one of those turn based fighting games?

Will

BNet Acct/Realm: East L : *BloodPhoenix
0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject:  

Real Time

Hmmm...I Wonder....
ThatGuy

BNet Acct/Realm: MONTREAL YAA! Quit d2
5.36 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject:  

It's real time, BUT there's a very handy pause feature which is actually very useful (part of the strategy of the game). Managing a party of 6 people can be insane, especially if you have a couple spellcasters and some melee, and you're fighting a mini army. There's also an option to make it "Pause upon encounter" so it's kind of turn based.

I've never played this game, but from my experiences of Bauldur's Gate (1 and 2), I say Play It!

The game has more variety than Diablo 2 but less control. There's pretty much a set amount of magical items (and they are harder to understand than Diablo 2, since most of the magical properties are described by dice rolls (i.e. 4d4 + 1 damage)), so you won't be doing any MF runs anytime soon. You'll actually be following a real storyline, and everything is preset, so besides some random monster encounters (which are few, most enemies are pre-determined), if you read a walkthrough, you would find out where and how to get the best items, guarenteed. But it's funner and more challenging if you do it yourself Smile

It's a noob friendly game to the extent that all skills have pretty easy to follow descriptions, but generally (unless you looked at a strategy guide) you'll pick your favorite ones. For example, Magic missile looks cool, casts fast, does guarenteed damage (unless they're protected), and it's the frickin' Magic Missile!. If you looked more closely however, Chromatic Orb, as you level up, has the potential to sleep, paralyze, and even instantly kill your target. It looks ugly and damage looks weak though.

There's a shitload of skills, and a bigger load of spells. Have fun with that.

You have many more classes to choose from. It changes a lot of things. When you level up, unlike Diablo 2, you usually don't get to level up any stats. Sometimes after a couple levels you'll get to level up a weapon proficiency by a point, every evel you can level up thief skills if you have them, but your stats remain untouched, so make sure you get a big roll! (Ideally aim for at least 85-90 total for starting off, with 18/80 strength or higher if you can).

I'm tired of typing now, but I hope this helps. Post if you have any problems (although I've never played Neverwinter Nights, although Baldur's Gate is extremely similar and made by the same company Smile )

EDIT: Actually, is this the new-fangled 3D game where it looks like you're playing WoW, or is it the standard bird's-eye view game? I'm thinking of the latter, but I think the same stuff still applies.

EMP

0.00 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject:  

I think I might try it in the future once I get some time. The game itself is quite old; a few years? All I know is that it is old enough to run on my computer.

Vixen

7.76 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:40 am    Post subject:  

It's pretty darn sweet for an old game. But if you plan on going online don't bother, IIRC it's hacked worse than open Bnet.

ThatGuy

BNet Acct/Realm: MONTREAL YAA! Quit d2
5.36 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:20 am    Post subject:  

No one plays online anymore anyways. And yeah, single player item creation/character modifyers/etc etc (basically debug mode) work in both single and multiplayer, lmao.

sPiN
The tool formerly known as Tool

BNet Acct/Realm: Quit D2.
22.16 Silvarrr

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject:  

I really hated the game...

Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]  
 Forum index » Off-Topic Section » Alternative Gaming
Jump to: